Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Comey

Comey
subego
Clinically Insane
May 9, 2017, 06:01 PM

😳 Holy shit!

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
May 9, 2017, 06:11 PM

First Yates. Now Comey. Trump is sending a clear message that anyone who defies him in the Executive Branch is subject to being summarily dismissed. So much for for the DOJ being an "independent" agency.

OAW

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 9, 2017, 06:19 PM

Well, I expect the DoJ to be stooges.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
May 9, 2017, 06:27 PM

And now we have the reason. Which basically boils down to "But her emails!!!"

The full statement from the White House:

Today, President Donald J. Trump informed FBI Director James Comey that he has been terminated and removed from office. President Trump acted based on the clear recommendations of both Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein and Attorney General Jeff Sessions.

"The FBI is one of our Nation's most cherished and respected institutions and today will mark a new beginning for our crown jewel of law enforcement," said President Trump.

A search for a new permanent FBI Director will begin immediately.

From Trump's letter to Comey:
"... you are hereby terminated and removed from office, effective immediately. While I greatly appreciate you informing me, on three separate occasions, that I am not under investigation, I nevertheless concur with the judgement of the Department of Justice that you are not able to effectively lead the bureau."

From Sessions' recommendation:

"As Attorney General I am committed to a high level of discipline, integrity, and the rule of law to the department of justice- an institution that I deeply respect. Based on my evaluation, and for the reasons expressed by the deputy attorney general in the attached memorandum, I have concluded that a fresh start is needed at the leadership of the FBI."

From Rosenstein's recommendation:

"Over the past year, however, the FBI's reputation and credibility have suffered substantial damage, and it has affected the entire department of justice....

"As you and I have discussed, however, I cannot defend the director's handling of the conclusion of the investigation of secretary Clinton's emails, and I do not understand his refusal to accept the nearly-universal judgement that he was mistaken. Almost everyone agrees that the Director made serious mistakes; it is one of the few issues that unites people of diverse perspective."
Trump fires Comey - Axios.com

OAW

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 9, 2017, 06:50 PM

I was at the gym and saw this pop up on the TV and my only reaction was

But seriously, this is totally not suspicious. Doubly so given that Jeff Sessions is involved. I do wonder if they used the Abedin controversy as cover, because the timing is bizarre.

Edit: Unsurprisingly I see the GOP lining up behind Trump.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
May 9, 2017, 06:53 PM

Maybe they can finally investigate, and possibly prosecute, Hillary now?
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
May 9, 2017, 08:55 PM

More tax dollars well spent.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

reader50
Administrator
May 9, 2017, 09:24 PM

I won't miss James "encryption backdoors" Comey. But he'll probably be replaced by another DC stooge. Trump must not drain the swamp, can't appoint independents from academia or anyone with a history in criminal defense. Whoever gets appointed next will have a prosecution history, and a tendency to assume guilt until innocence is proven. A strong belief in government overreach will also be a plus.

Thorzdad
May 9, 2017, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
Whoever gets appointed next will have a prosecution history, and a tendency to assume guilt until innocence is proven. A strong belief in government overreach will also be a plus.
And must not have ever heard of a country called Russia.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 9, 2017, 10:37 PM

I won't miss James "encryption backdoors" Comey. But he'll probably be replaced by another DC stooge. Trump must not drain the swamp, can't appoint independents from academia or anyone with a history in criminal defense. Whoever gets appointed next will have a prosecution history, and a tendency to assume guilt until innocence is proven. A strong belief in government overreach will also be a plus.
I feel like you're missing the real issue here

reader50
Administrator
May 9, 2017, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I feel like you're missing the real issue here
A president few people trust has fired someone nobody trusts, and he'll be replaced by yet another shifty individual. I assume you're referring to various political investigations ... which should have remained in the hands of untrustworthy individual A, rather than his replacement untrustworthy individual B?

It looks like a dog and pony show in my opinion. I don't expect meaningful results from any player, so focus on the show instead. At least an untrustworthy individual got fired.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
May 10, 2017, 12:06 AM

I submit it's deeper than that ....

Among the most prominent officials President Trump has fired since taking office are Sally Yates, Preet Bharara, and James Comey.

What they have in common: They all were investigating Trump when they got fired, and there's a Russia thread in each of their cases.

Sally Yates, fired Jan. 30, 2017:

Former acting Attorney General

Ordered the DOJ not to defend Trump's travel ban, which he issued within days of taking office.
As acting AG, Yates was key to the investigation into Trump's aides and their potential connections to Russia — she was collecting intelligence on the Russian ambassador to the U.S. and which members of the Trump team he had been in contact with. (That includes Mike Flynn, who was fired due to his communications with the ambassador.)

Preet Bharara, fired March 11, 2017:

Former U.S. Attorney

Put up a fight to continue his job even after Trump announced he would seek the resignation from all U.S. attorneys.

Bharara was investigating Trump's HHS Secretary Tom Price for his financial investments.
Bharara was also investigating corrupt Russian businessmen and officials (and a witness for the case was pushed or fell from a window the day before he was set to testify in another court case).

James Comey, fired May 9, 2017:

Former FBI Director

Announced the DOJ would not prosecute Hillary Clinton over her emails, but then announced a new revelation about her emails right before the presidential election.

Comey was, like Yates, investigating Trump's Russia ties, which he revealed on March 20.
3 people fired by Trump were all investigating Trumpworld | Axios.com

OAW

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
May 10, 2017, 03:48 AM

The FBI's Trump investigation had been closed, no criminal activities had been found (unlike Hillary, colluding with the DNC to screw Sanders). Wait, weren't there some Russia-related DNS lookups from Trump's servers? Oh no!

This is because Comey wouldn't go after Hillary, and now Trump will get someone who will. While I think there are better things to do with taxpayer $$ than to go after her, if she does get indicted and is found guilty, I'll enjoy it.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

BadKosh
Professional Poster
May 10, 2017, 07:51 AM

6 months of wasted resources and NOTHING. We have more proof of Hillary's wrong doings than Trumps. I guess the left is still believing the MSM and its fabrications, and fantasy speculations.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
May 10, 2017, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by BadKosh View Post
and NOTHING ... fantasy speculations.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 10, 2017, 09:27 AM

A president few people trust has fired someone nobody trusts, and he'll be replaced by yet another shifty individual. I assume you're referring to various political investigations ... which should have remained in the hands of untrustworthy individual A, rather than his replacement untrustworthy individual B?

It looks like a dog and pony show in my opinion. I don't expect meaningful results from any player, so focus on the show instead. At least an untrustworthy individual got fired.
If the inference is Comey was in Trumps pocket politically, I disagree. If Trump had fired Comey as soon as he got into office it would have looked equally bad, but doing so now reeks of trying to undermine whatever is happening behind the scenes.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 10, 2017, 09:28 AM

News reports say the administration thought democrats would be ok with firing the guy overseeing investigations just because he did them dirty last year. I have trouble believing they're that delusional.

andi*pandi
May 10, 2017, 09:53 AM

even ed snowden thinks it's shady.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
May 10, 2017, 10:21 AM

News reports say the administration thought democrats would be ok with firing the guy overseeing investigations just because he did them dirty last year. I have trouble believing they're that delusional.
It's getting harder for me to believe that both sides (of citizens, at least) are equally bad.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 10, 2017, 10:41 AM

I'm not sure I follow

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 10, 2017, 11:53 AM

OreoCookie
May 10, 2017, 01:28 PM

Two wrongs don't make a right. I share your concerns about Comey's past behavior, but that doesn't mean it is proper and beneficial for Americans for him to lose his job because of his insistence to investigate the Trump campaign's relations to Russia among other things. Firing someone to impede an investigation is really, really bad, even if the person doing the investigating is Comey. There is also no upside, since he won't be replaced by someone better, but by someone worse — someone who is in Trump's pocket.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

OreoCookie
May 10, 2017, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by BadKosh View Post
6 months of wasted resources and NOTHING. We have more proof of Hillary's wrong doings than Trumps. I guess the left is still believing the MSM and its fabrications, and fantasy speculations.
How can you deduce that there is nothing? The FBI won't say anything until it has concluded its investigation. Flynn, for example, did break the law in this context, so this certainly isn't a big nothing burger.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 10, 2017, 02:37 PM

lol Paul Ryan still hasn't commented on Comeys dismissal.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
May 10, 2017, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
The FBI's Trump investigation had been closed, no criminal activities had been found .
Wow; you sure seem to know a lot about what the FBI is investigating.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 10, 2017, 11:02 PM

Oh, grandma... what big leaks you have.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 10, 2017, 11:26 PM

I'm recommending Laura Rozen (@lrozen) for the dirt feed.

She definitely has a slant, though I wouldn't call it a particularly aggressive. She also works for Al-Monitor, in case that's a deal-breaker for anyone.

P
May 11, 2017, 04:36 AM

Sean Spicer hiding in the bushes to avoid answering questions from reporters. If they had done this in a movie, I would have laughed.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 11, 2017, 09:31 AM

...and demanding lights turned off before he answers questions

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 11, 2017, 12:31 PM

I don't think the deputy director will be getting a promotion

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 11, 2017, 01:14 PM

Trump contradicts the WH narrative re: firing Comey. This f'n guy

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 11, 2017, 02:18 PM

...and demanding lights turned off before he answers questions
That makes sense to me.

Spicey's job is to get in front of of the story, and on this one, he was dropped in several miles behind it.

Killing the cameras makes it "I talk, you listen". Which is what he needed at that moment.

FWIU, he said afterwards, we can go back inside where it's lit and do the dog and pony show.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 11, 2017, 02:20 PM

Fun tidbit is the claim the only person who realized firing Comey might appear as some unseemly shit was Bannon.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 11, 2017, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
That makes sense to me.

Spicey's job is to get in front of of the story, and on this one, he was dropped in several miles behind it.

Killing the cameras makes it "I talk, you listen". Which is what he needed at that moment.

FWIU, he said afterwards, we can go back inside where it's lit and do the dog and pony show.
Do reporters have a hidden weakness where they can't ask questions in the dark?

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 11, 2017, 03:10 PM

Do reporters have a hidden weakness where they can't ask questions in the dark?
Ironically, yes. At the least, it incentivizes them to tone it down.

The dynamic changes. Everybody wants their right cross to show up on TV. When the possibility of that gets yanked, things become less adversarial.

If it's "just talk", that's what gets focused on, and that's exactly what Spiceman needed at the moment.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 11, 2017, 03:17 PM

Do you have some kind of basis for this premise? Would it affect print reporters?

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 11, 2017, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
even ed snowden thinks it's shady.
What I find interesting about this is I can't imagine him doing a goddamn thing without Putin's explicit leave.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 11, 2017, 03:30 PM

Do you have some kind of basis for this premise? Would it affect print reporters?
Just basic human psychology. Everybody behaves differently when on camera.

I fully admit, I overstated my case describing the scenario as it meaning no questions would be asked, but there's an unarguable alteration to the dynamic.

Even if every question given to Meatball was exactly the same as it would have been on camera, there's a distinct difference between watching him squirm, and having the squirm translated into text.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 11, 2017, 03:32 PM

And yes, print journalists get affected when they ask questions on television.

If the NYT gets in a nut-shot on camera, CNN et. al. runs with it.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 11, 2017, 04:11 PM

Just basic human psychology. Everybody behaves differently when on camera.

I fully admit, I overstated my case describing the scenario as it meaning no questions would be asked, but there's an unarguable alteration to the dynamic.

Even if every question given to Meatball was exactly the same as it would have been on camera, there's a distinct difference between watching him squirm, and having the squirm translated into text.
They wouldn't be on camera though. It'd be like a congressional scrum I imagine.

Put it this way. You see logic in what Spicer did. I don't think that optics carries to the gen pop. And I doubt it helped him much as the story ended up being him hiding in the bushes.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 11, 2017, 04:25 PM

So, I'm trying to parse this as correctly as possible; Huckabee-Sanders implies that the Trump admin firing Comey will help the Russia investigation

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 11, 2017, 08:02 PM

You, uh, may not want to say that out loud.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 12, 2017, 12:47 AM

They wouldn't be on camera though. It'd be like a congressional scrum I imagine.

Put it this way. You see logic in what Spicer did. I don't think that optics carries to the gen pop. And I doubt it helped him much as the story ended up being him hiding in the bushes.
For the dynamic change to occur, the only one who needs to be on camera is Spiceroo.

If it's being recorded, every misstep he makes comes pre-packaged in viral form. A journalist who doesn't exploit this weakness isn't doing their job.

One has to take into consideration the situation on the ground. The WH didn't have a story. People dragging out the gif of Homer disappearing into the bushes is far better than a piece of tape which contradicts the rapidly smearing line of bullshit.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 12, 2017, 09:18 AM

Well, uh, so much for not contradicting themselves.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 12, 2017, 09:20 AM

James Comey better hope that there are no "tapes" of our conversations before he starts leaking to the press!
Two things:

A. This shows a fundamental misunderstanding of who he's talking to. Comey doesn't strike me as the vindictive type, nor one to do so through leaks

B. If public persona Comey is to be believed there's nothing that could be on tape that would harm him.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 12, 2017, 12:09 PM

Waiting for the inevitable "tapes was in quotes" defense

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 12, 2017, 01:53 PM

Well, uh, so much for not contradicting themselves.
That's one of the reasons I feel so bad for the Spiceling.

He got thrown under an entire convoy of busses, only to have his boss order them all to back up.

andi*pandi
May 12, 2017, 02:14 PM

trump's modus operandi is "throw them under the bus."

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 12, 2017, 02:24 PM

That's one of the reasons I feel so bad for the Spiceling.

He got thrown under an entire convoy of busses, only to have his boss order them all to back up.
I like that metaphor

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 12, 2017, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
trump's modus operandi is "throw them under the bus."
And as his target tries to struggle away like kittens in a sack, he angrily spits "you're supposed to like it!"

Forum Links
Forum Rules