Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Good, inexpensive external hard drives for Mac Mini?

Good, inexpensive external hard drives for Mac Mini?
yohei72
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 17, 2008, 03:00 PM

So what do people recommend that's inexpensive and simple for backing up the drive on my Mac Mini? I don't need anything big and fancy - I've got a 75GB drive and I'm using less than 10 GB of it. It's basically just a word processor and internet portal for me, with some storage for digital photos and videos, too.

And if anyone here is NYC-based, where's a good place to get it? B&H? J&R?

Thanks, folks.

MichiganRich
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 17, 2008, 04:44 PM

Hey there Yohei-

I hope your mini is rockin'. After getting one for my mom, I am a big fan of the littlest Mac. I am also a fan of elegant solutions when it comes to computer gear, and for this reason you should take a look at the NewerTech miniStack.

• Quiet enclosure with a variable speed fan
• Stacks under the mini, transfers heat from the thermal pad on the bottom of the mini
• Firewire and USB hub built-in, which is beautiful later when you find yourself needing a port or two
• Integrated power on/off with the mini

You can't really go too far wrong with any of the external drives these days, but don't be fooled by the quoted speed of the cheap USB2-only interface drives. I have bought and tested a few of them just to see if they can compare to a Firewire 400 connection. They can't, and were returned.

As for where to buy, OtherWorldComputing is a long-time Mac retailer. Newegg is kindof a standard for online gear retailers, as they have a huge selection and reliable pricing.

Let the flaming begin!

miniStack

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 17, 2008, 10:41 PM

Ministack is good, but it's not cheap; for the price of an empty ministack you can get a 160GB USB2 drive.

With your usage and that little data USB2 is fine and saves a bit of money. Pick one of these enclosures that you like the look of (anything with a 4 or 5 "egg" rating) and then decide how much you want to spend on a drive: 80GB for $41, 160GB for $51, 250GB for $65, 320GB for $75. It seems kinda silly to spend ~$65 on 80GB when you can have three or four times the capacity for $90, but if you're on a tight budget that may be the way to go.

sledsbehave
Senior User
Feb 17, 2008, 10:53 PM

i found an iomega minimax 500gb external for $139 last week at best buy's apple section. firewire or usb2, plus 3 firewire and 3 usb2 ports.

as ever,
sonny

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Feb 18, 2008, 12:27 PM

Go over to NewEgg, pickup a 120 GB drive for $45, and an external FW case for $25, and you're set.
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

robby818
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 18, 2008, 08:10 PM

i just picked up the Western Digital MyBook 500 GB external drive from Costco for $110.

things I like:
1. power switch
2. firewire & usb2 as well as eSATA
3. clean design

ixus_123
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 20, 2008, 09:09 PM

I'd go with a laptop disk and caddy combo.

While laptop disks are more expensive than 3.5" desktop counterparts, you save on the caddy as these can be powered over USB rather than needing an expensive power brick. Also saves a plug socket and messy cables.
iBook G3 366mhz as a web server:
http://kieren.demon.co.uk/wordpress/

ghostdawg
Mar 3, 2008, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by SirCastor View Post
Go over to NewEgg, pickup a 120 GB drive for $45, and an external FW case for $25, and you're set.
I purchased that similar setup for around the same amount. I got a 160gb HD for $45 and a USB/FW enclosure for $25...both is working very nicely since I've had it.
G4 Mini | 1.25mhz | 512mb | 40gb | OS X 10.3.9 | 19in Hanns G LCD

danangdoc
Mar 3, 2008, 01:43 PM

I bought the LaCie 1Tb drive that fits under the mini. While I can't prove it, it appears that you can only get this at an Apple store. They had a bunch of them when I went there (Allentown, PA) and the local Apple dealer who has been around for years can't get them any more apparently. Looks like Apple is controlling where you but it. Anyway, it's great, adds a number of additional firewire ports, 3 more USB ports, and I use the backup feature of Leopard to archive to it. It was around $200.00, but doesn't take up any more space on my desk.

bencurtis
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 4, 2008, 02:36 AM

One thing I'd add about any external firewire 3.5" drive is... Use that, or a partition of it, as the boot drive and you'll notice a massive speed boost, at least I did....

Forum Links
Forum Rules