Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > reasons for the MBP over the MB... HELP ME JUSTIFY IT

View Poll Results: Macbook Black or Macbook Pro
Poll Options:
Macbook Black 1 votes (4.55%)
Macbook Pro (15inch) 21 votes (95.45%)
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll
reasons for the MBP over the MB... HELP ME JUSTIFY IT
rogermugs
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 3, 2008, 05:21 AM

So here is the deal...
I can buy an MBP... I can afford it. I can even write it off as a business expense at no cost to my own wallet. I am also a grad student and qualify for the 200$ off the MBP whereas the MB is only 100$ off...

I'm dying for the MBP mostly for the screenspace, but to be honest the machine isn't that much more powerful than the MB, and given the price difference I'm not sure I can justify it...

Sure there are a few differences but really the difference in 2.1 or 2.4 ghz is basically nothing in regular life... and the MB black has a bigger hard drive than the bottom of hte line MBP...

If I was a major power user for work then I could readily justify the expense, but my power needs only come on the hobby end... and for work i pretty much stick to email and calendar, and basic web surfing needs...

I would love to run a dual boot MBP with ubuntu... on the other end...

also (i live overseas) I'm coming back the USA in a week and intend to invest in an iPhone and new computer by Wednesday of next week...

i need i need i want i want... (I was really hoping the new mac that turned out to be the AIR would be my next computer, but that is way too little of a computer for my money and I know thats the point but doesnt work for me)....

so pretty much... I WANT AN MBP... if i can justify it to myself I'll buy it...
help me out... 1399 for black MB
or 1799 for MBP????
what do ya'll say?

-r

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Mar 3, 2008, 05:26 AM

If indeed you can write it off and the screen size will be useful to you, it seems like you have your answer.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 3, 2008, 06:20 AM

I would never willingly buy a laptop with integrated graphics. Just my opinion.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

MartiNZ
Senior User
Mar 3, 2008, 06:24 AM

I'm kind of going through the same thought process, looking to upgrade my 12" 1.5GHz PBG4. Of course I'm having trouble even convincing myself it needs upgrading, but that's another story .

It annoys me that there still isn't a proper 12" PB replacement - the MacBook is getting there, but really wants an independent graphics card. In fact even as I type this I'm finding it hard to specify what else it would need to fill that vacant spot hmmm.

In trying to justify the MBP I think you look at the graphics card, faster HD option, LED screen and bigger screen. If there was a high-def screen option for the 15" MBP, and/or a new design for the MBP, it might be an easier decision. As it stands, I'm not actually sure the additional resolution justifies the much bigger machine.

I think for dual-booting it would be nice to have the extra power, and that would especially be the case for running with something like Parallels.

Oh well, all I seem to be doing here is confusing myself more. Good luck to you .

OreoCookie
Mar 3, 2008, 06:34 AM

The best argument is because you want it, right?
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

phoenix78
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 3, 2008, 07:17 AM

Go the MBP.

screen size was better (as you wanted) and it also has a dedicated graphics card and the fancy new touchpad. And you get the aluminium casing, better speakers, glowing keyboard. You can upgrade the HD for not too much more lol. The 13" MB does not have LED backlit screens?

But yeah... it is a price bump though. You can afford it though so its no biggie.

In the end you gotta list your uses for the machine... and then decide if either config is likely to suit your needs better.

doolally
Mar 3, 2008, 08:29 AM

I voted MacBook Pro. Yeah, it's faster and the screen is larger and it's only 1/2 lbs heavier, but, for me, the number one reason is construction. The MacBooks just don't feel very well made, or that they would stand up to daily use as well as the Pros.

The MacBook is a fine notepad: suited to word processing and surfing, perhaps some light graphics work. It's small enough to just toss in your bag and go. But I don't think it's much of a workhorse.

(My 2001, 12" iBook feels more rugged than the 2007 MacBook I owned, and recently sold.)
--
"What is it you see, in the horizon's bruised smear, that cannot be blotted out by your raised hand?"
www.thecrookedcrow.com

skacoreimplore
Forum Regular
Mar 3, 2008, 11:56 AM

No cost to my own wallet

Sold me on that one, get the MBP
Macbook Pro 15" / C2D 2.2 / 2GB / 120GB
16 GB iPod touch

jjahshik32
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 3, 2008, 09:34 PM

MBP>>MB
No cost to my own wallet >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>your own
*15" Macbook pro sr 2.4ghz (led) 4gb ram, hitachi 7k200*
*Mac Pro 2.8ghz 8 core, 16gb RAM (transintl), Raptor 10k 150gb, 23" ACD*

sogbrightlight
Forum Regular
Mar 5, 2008, 09:23 PM

Multi-touch, LED Backlight, Dedicated Graphics, Larger Screen Size.

This seems like a pretty simple question. I'm just reinforcing what has been said already.

Go with the MBP.
Bla Bla Bla

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 6, 2008, 04:39 AM

Better screen, better graphics performance, FW800, EC/34, KB backlighting...

You want the MBP and you can afford it. What more is there to consider?

rogermugs  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 13, 2008, 04:37 AM

well. Yesterdayvwas apple day . Iwakied into the store as walked out withva brand spankin new iPhone and 15inch MacBook pro and they are both so stinking beautiful I can't wrap my. Head around it. Thanks for all the advice. I believe I had chosen wisely.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 13, 2008, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by rogermugs View Post
well. Yesterdayvwas apple day . Iwakied into the store as walked out withva brand spankin new iPhone and 15inch MacBook pro and they are both so stinking beautiful I can't wrap my. Head around it. Thanks for all the advice. I believe I had chosen wisely.
You are. Welcome. Congrats. With the purchase.

BoingoBongo
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 13, 2008, 11:21 AM

You're a lucky lucky man. Congrats!

doolally
Mar 13, 2008, 11:22 AM

Congrats Roger! You have chosen wisely
--
"What is it you see, in the horizon's bruised smear, that cannot be blotted out by your raised hand?"
www.thecrookedcrow.com

BobWoodshed
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 16, 2008, 12:01 AM

Submitted via iPhone?
21.5" iMac 3.06 i3 4GB | White iPhone 3GS

rogermugs  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 16, 2008, 08:08 AM

yes and I was clearly new at it. Getting better though I like to think. Dang I love this thing.

ooninay
Mar 17, 2008, 11:25 PM

*sigh*... no iPhone in Canada so I can't do what you did. Walking out of the Apple Store with an MBP in one hand and an iPhone in the other sounds so dreamy...

confusion
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 19, 2008, 08:25 AM

Hello everybody,

I am kind of in the same situation as the topic owner so I add to this thread.

I have had a white MacBook for a bit more than 18 months now. The original one I bought in June 2006 was recently replaced by Apple after several attempts to fix its flickering screen. (In addition, the top case was replaced a couple of times, the original battery had a defect and finally the hard disk crashed). I got the replacement a day before Apple announced the updated MacBooks, but still it's quite an improvement over my original Machine
Anyway, a friend of mine wants to get a Mac-Notebook and since she's retired doesn't want to spend too much money. So, I will sell her my current Macbook and am therefore in for a replacement.

Now, my university has a special offer this week which gets me either a "medium" MacBook (white, 2.4GHz) for 1590 CHF/$ or a "small" MacBook Pro (2.4GHz) for 2330 CHF/$ (both prices including tax and an APP). I am quite torn between the two. On the one hand, the Pro has a much better screen (the main reason I am even thinking about switching), better battery life (though I wonder whether that is really the case), illuminated keyboard and multithouch. On the other hand, I still have Quad G5 at home and the MacBook is definitely more portable. In addition, the 700CHF/$ difference in price is quite steep.

The portable is my main computer on weekends when I am at my parents and otherwise used for the usual Web/Mail/Office stuff, Keynote, coding in Eclipse and XCode, have a first look at photos (while I am away from my G5, which is my main machine also in that respect; might switch to Aperture in the future) and to watch movies (from DVD or Quicktime).

Thanks for advice

Cheers from Switzerland
confusion

analogika
Posting Junkie
Mar 19, 2008, 03:25 PM

didn't we go over your case in another thread a couple months ago?

tridentinecanon
Mar 20, 2008, 07:24 PM

Processor clock speed isn't the only thing that determines speed.

The MBP will be noticeably faster, even for everyday tasks, for a lot of different reasons. This is especially true if you plan on keeping it for a while.

blackstar
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 20, 2008, 07:34 PM

I have been thinking about the same thing. Macbook vs Macbook Pro. I think that it is a much better value to buy a Macbook with a 24" screen than get a Macbook Pro. In case if you don't need the Superdrive and get the basic model, you'll even have some leftover money.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 21, 2008, 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by tridentinecanon View Post
Processor clock speed isn't the only thing that determines speed.
True. There is also chipset, FSB bandwidth, amount of memory, HDD performance, GPU performance. But except for the latter all of these are identical when comparing the low-end MBP to the high-end MB.

The MBP will be noticeably faster, even for everyday tasks, for a lot of different reasons.
Actually only for one reason. And that is the GPU. If you however use stuff like web, mail, Office, and CS3 the GPU is pretty irrelevant. And hence performance will also be quite similar.

The MBP is clearly the superior portable Mac, but not for performance reasons (with the GPU and 3D games/Aperture/Motion being the exceptions). Its real advantages are its screen (size and quality), expandability (lots of different ports, EC/34), and its extras like the backlit KB. If you want to for a better performing MBP you would have to go with the $2599 model and even then the difference will be modest. This used to be quite different, but since the Penryn introduction Apple has pretty much closed the performance gap between the MB and the MBP.

confusion
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 21, 2008, 07:46 AM

Since my last post I searched the forums a little and realised that indeed, many others have asked the same question (it was the first time for me, though )
Unfortunately, reading all these threads didn't help too much, they are mostly confusing...
I wanted to compare the machines head to head at the local Apple Centre, but it had already closed when I arrived yesterday after work. Hopefully I'll get a chance tomorrow...
Currently I am leaning towards the MacBook and saving the 700 CHF towards something else (a replacement or bigger screen for my G5 or a macro lens for my DLSR comes to mind).

Thanks for your replies, I'll keep you posted

Forum Links
Forum Rules