Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > New iPod Touch

New iPod Touch
sogbrightlight
Forum Regular
Sep 9, 2008, 03:06 PM

Is it worth it?

The discount for students is still active on the old one which would equate to a cheaper 32GB, but also no speaker and a few other features.

I'm perturbed.

This would be an upgrade from my 5G 30GB iPod which has served me extremely well and still does the job, but I'm looking at the touch for a lot of the nice features it can do.
Bla Bla Bla

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 9, 2008, 04:55 PM

I'd say if you can afford it, go with the new one. With technology such as this, its always best to get the most recent model that you can afford. In the end it will last longer and be more compatible/useful.

Just my 2 cents.

selowitch
Mac Elite
Sep 9, 2008, 05:41 PM

I wonder if the "old" 32GB model will drop significantly in price now?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 9, 2008, 06:29 PM

Unless you need Nike+ or the non-retarded headphone port, go with the old one.

idykenano
Forum Regular
Sep 9, 2008, 09:27 PM

I'm slightly out of the ipod loop, does the 1G Touch have the recessed headphone port that requires a headphone adapter like the 1G iPhone? (and is this a correction of the 2G touch)

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Sep 9, 2008, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by idykenano View Post
I'm slightly out of the ipod loop, does the 1G Touch have the recessed headphone port that requires a headphone adapter like the 1G iPhone? (and is this a correction of the 2G touch)
Nope. Normal jack.

Personally I like the look of my 1G Touch. The chrome/silver around the edge makes it look like someone riced it.
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

scottiB
Professional Poster
Sep 9, 2008, 09:52 PM

No, the 1st gen Touch can use any headphones without an adapter. The jack's not recessed.

I'd get the new Touch over a 1st gen--the external volume switch is the feature that keeps on giving.

Christopera
Forum Regular
Sep 9, 2008, 10:42 PM

I ordered the 2g Touch just a few hours after the announcement. The price reduction alone was enough for me, and the slimmer (by virtue of its roundedness) profile and speaker did me in.

I have been looking at the Touch for months now because I need something to check my email regularly for my business as well as look at Ical events. So I was going to buy either a refurb old model or the new one. The price difference is only 70 bucks and the new one offers some pluses that I felt were worth it in the long run.
( Last edited by Christopera; Sep 9, 2008 at 10:48 PM. )
MB 2.16ghz c2d 3gb/250gb

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 9, 2008, 10:53 PM

The lack of physical volume buttons on the old model is a big negative IMO.

sogbrightlight  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 10, 2008, 12:02 AM

Hmmmm all great inputs. I think a major concern of mine is that they didn't up it to 64GB and while some believe they aren't capable of doing it yet I'd like anyone else's take on that. Is it worth the wait.

My 5G Video is still burning like it's brand new outta the box so I'm not too worried about it kicking the dust, but I am pretty pumped to use a touch and play with all the features.
Bla Bla Bla

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 10, 2008, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Unless you need Nike+ or the non-retarded headphone port, go with the old one.
Nonsense. The headphone jack is identical. It was the original iPhone that came with a recessed jack.

I understand snide remarks make you look all cool, tough and such, but it shouldn't get in the way of giving accurate advice on tech board.

macdef
Banned
Sep 10, 2008, 03:05 AM

I really think it is good idea to get an iPod Touch, and personally maybe you can wait for a little while, Apple has announced new iPods and iTunes 8, maybe they will have their price changed.

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Sep 10, 2008, 04:08 AM

I find the speaker on the iPhone really useful - for games and listening to podcasts. That alone would make it worth getting the new touch for me...

I wonder - can the new Touch play proper alert sounds now too, instead of piezo buzzes ?

outaru
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 10, 2008, 04:21 AM

worth it.. the back reminds me of the matrix scene..

why not make the offscreen area (areas on the top and around the home button) touch sensitive? this way my fat fingers won't cover the screen when playing games...

lamewing
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 16, 2008, 01:28 PM

I have a near new condition 1.5 month old 32GB Touch and Griffin leather case if you are interested. PM me. I have bought a nano and simply don't use the touch. I originally bought it for the apps (Japanese language apps and email).

Joe

Originally Posted by sogbrightlight View Post
Is it worth it?

The discount for students is still active on the old one which would equate to a cheaper 32GB, but also no speaker and a few other features.

I'm perturbed.

This would be an upgrade from my 5G 30GB iPod which has served me extremely well and still does the job, but I'm looking at the touch for a lot of the nice features it can do.

quanny
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 17, 2008, 05:04 PM

I was wondering what you think about replacing a palm 3c (yes a little outdated) with the new ipod touch. it would be a gift for my wife. i tried to push her towards the iphone as a all in one device, but she'd rather have her pda and phone separate. the only requirement she has is that she can keeps separate calendars with palm calendar and outlook calendar (she doesn't sync the 2). Not sure her exact rationale, but probably to separate client and personal. Would the ipod touch meet her requirements. It sounds like it only syncs to outlook (we're window users)
thanks

baw
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2008, 10:02 AM

Since the introduction of the new iPod Touch, the first generations have been marked down. Got a first generation 8GB for $200. This is only my second iPod purchase, my first one being an iPod Mini from 2005 (kept inside a case since I bought it, looks like new and the battery still holds a great charge).

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Sep 19, 2008, 11:16 AM

I ordered an 32 gig 2G Touch last week. Still waiting for it to be shipped (darn you Japanese Apple store!).

I figured why not. I just hope that someone figures out how to get the audio in stuff up and running, or get the bluetooth working. Skype on my Touch would be nice when traveling.

Christopera
Forum Regular
Sep 19, 2008, 02:13 PM

Five days down with my 2G Touch and I have to say that it is better than I expected. The quality of the ipod feels outstanding. It has nice weight but isn't too heavy and the stainless/glass fit and finish is superb. In my the pockets of my pants the player stores without being able to feel it thanks to the convex case design.

Additionaly, the ability for the Touch to just plain do anything is mind blowing. No longer do I need half of the electronics I would normally carry.

Two thumbs up! I just wish I could have mustered the cash for the 32gb rather than 16gb.
MB 2.16ghz c2d 3gb/250gb

Forum Links
Forum Rules