Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Wireless PCI Card in G4 Powermac

Wireless PCI Card in G4 Powermac
idykenano
Forum Regular
Jun 21, 2008, 03:04 PM

I'd like to put wireless into my G4 sawtooth, and I've been looking at PCI cards because they're generally cheaper than the USB dongles. I don't need n speeds, but I'd much prefer to not use an original airport card (b).
I've been poking around, and some of the better wireless cards for good prices are brands such as Netgear, Linksys, and Belkin. Yet I haven't been able find any that state support for OsX. Is this something that is more plug and play, or am I just looking in the wrong places?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 21, 2008, 03:30 PM

I have one of these in my Digital Audio G4 and it works just fine. It shows up as an AirPort card in Tiger (not sure about Leopard).

idykenano  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 21, 2008, 07:02 PM

Wonderful, thank you so much!
My G4 won't be running leopard without a decent amount of hacking, which I don't intend on doing.

Doc Juansinn
Senior User
Jun 21, 2008, 10:52 PM

imitchellg5, what rev. is your Belkin card? I'm using two of these cards (original rev.) that have the Broadcom chipset and they are recognised as Airport Extreme cards. I don't believe Belkin is still using the Broadcom chipset in the newer cards, and, if not, they might not work with the Airport software.
"Why did this thread cross the line? Because its **** got stuck in a chicken." - Demonhood

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 22, 2008, 11:58 AM

I was told the Newer Technology MAXPower 802.11n/g/b shown below one works great,

Newer Technology MAXPower 802.11n/g/b Wirel... (MXP802NPCI) at OWC

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 23, 2008, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Dr. Wahnsinn View Post
imitchellg5, what rev. is your Belkin card? I'm using two of these cards (original rev.) that have the Broadcom chipset and they are recognised as Airport Extreme cards. I don't believe Belkin is still using the Broadcom chipset in the newer cards, and, if not, they might not work with the Airport software.
I have no clue, I've had it for over a year now though, bought it new.

Forum Links
Forum Rules