Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 10.3.5. bugs

10.3.5. bugs
macdaemon
Aug 10, 2004, 03:40 PM

I noticed that when I open Folder to view what is inside I don't get the view of the files and other items, it's just show nothing and HD screaming, I close folder and open again, and I see files. Anyone else having this kind problem?

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Aug 10, 2004, 03:44 PM

Nope, not at all.

macdaemon  (op)
Aug 10, 2004, 03:50 PM

Originally posted by gorickey:
Nope, not at all.
I have a list view for the whole files. When I setup icon view everything works fine.

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 10, 2004, 03:50 PM

Disk Utility->Select the hard disk->Info->S.M.A.R.T. Status?
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

macdaemon  (op)
Aug 10, 2004, 03:54 PM

Originally posted by Developer:
Disk Utility->Select the hard disk->Info->S.M.A.R.T. Status?
I didn't get really get it, but:
Name : Media HD
Type : Volume

Disk Identifier : disk0s5
Mount Point : /Volumes/Media HD
File System : Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
Connection Bus : ATA
IO Content : Apple_HFS
Device Tree : pci2/ata-6@D/@0:5
Writable : Yes
Capacity : 49.5 GB (53,122,711,552 Bytes)
Free Space : 26.4 GB (28,388,429,824 Bytes)
Used : 23.0 GB (24,734,281,728 Bytes)
Number of Files : 175,054
Number of Folders : 28,895
Permissions Enabled : Yes
Can Turn Permissions Off : Yes
Can Repair Permissions : Yes
Can Be Verified : Yes
Can Be Repaired : Yes
Can Be Formatted : Yes
Bootable : Yes
Supports Journaling : Yes
Journaled : Yes
Disk Number : 0
Partition Number : 5

Name : System HD
Type : Volume

Disk Identifier : disk0s3
Mount Point : /
File System : Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
IO Content : Apple_HFS
Device Tree : pci2/ata-6@D/@0:3
Capacity : 24.8 GB (26,635,173,888 Bytes)
Free Space : 13.3 GB (14,238,543,872 Bytes)
Used : 11.5 GB (12,396,630,016 Bytes)
Number of Files : 161,179
Number of Folders : 33,180
Permissions Enabled : Yes
Can Turn Permissions Off : Yes
Can Repair Permissions : Yes
Can Be Verified : Yes
Can Be Repaired : Yes
Can Be Formatted : Yes
Bootable : Yes
Supports Journaling : Yes
Journaled : Yes
Partition Number : 3

macdaemon  (op)
Aug 10, 2004, 03:58 PM

Name : FUJITSU MHT2080AT
Type : Disk

Disk Identifier : disk0
Media Name : FUJITSU MHT2080AT Media
Media Type : Generic
Connection ID : Device 0
IO Content : Apple_partition_scheme
Device Tree : pci2/ata-6@D/@0:0
Ejectable : No
Mac OS 9 Drivers Installed : No
Total Capacity : 74.5 GB (80,026,361,856 Bytes)
S.M.A.R.T. status : Verified
Partition Number : 0

macdaemon  (op)
Aug 10, 2004, 04:13 PM

After second restart looks like it works as always, and Finder show files.
Strange thing, I have seen this kind thing only in 10.0 when the Finder was going nuts and the mouse point all colors wheel was spinning.

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 10, 2004, 04:22 PM

Originally posted by macdaemon:
I didn't get really get it
You said the Finder hangs and the hard disk makes strange sounds, so I thought maybe the disk is dying.

Since that's not it, maybe repair permissions and hope the problem goes away?
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

macdaemon  (op)
Aug 10, 2004, 04:47 PM

Originally posted by Developer:
You said the Finder hangs and the hard disk makes strange sounds, so I thought maybe the disk is dying.

Since that's not it, maybe repair permissions and hope the problem goes away?
I though so too, but it's almost brand new PB, so it's really early to die for HD.
Well, I hope that problem gone already, but still can't understand what's really happened.
Permissions seems to be ok and I've checked the whole HD, so nothing seems to be working wrong at the moment.

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2004, 02:03 AM

OK, does anybody know what the process called "lookupd" is? After the update, it is using all available CPU and causing the fan to run constantly.

I cannot quit the process and it is owned by root.

I cannot open Mail.

This update was working for a few hours, then after waking tonight, all hell broke loose. Wierd.

I have run Cocktail and also ran permissions from DIsk Utility, and reset the PRAM several times.
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 11, 2004, 05:15 AM

Originally posted by Macpilot:
OK, does anybody know what the process called "lookupd" is? After the update, it is using all available CPU and causing the fan to run constantly..
Google does.

http://www.macwrite.com/criticalmass...-os-x-ends.php
DNS servers are listed in a file called /etc/resolv.conf, which of course requires root access to modify. In my tests I discovered, much to my surprise, that settings in the Network preferences no longer have any effect on reality, but this file definitely does. This serendipitous discovery suggests that the lookup search order is specified in a "flat file" somewhere also. The following solution presumes this to be the case.

A little program called lookupd is the engine that Mac OS X uses to look up and perform these host name translations. The man pages for lookupd give two places where the search order for it can be specified. These two are the NetInfo database and a set of text files, also known as "flat files". We know about the NetInfo configuration and we know it no longer gets referenced for the search order, so let's turn our attention to the flat files. For a quick brush-up on shell techniques, take a browse of The Mac OS X Shell.
hm.

So something NetInfo-wise seems to be messed up in some way or another.

Not all *that* helpful, I suppose.

-s*

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2004, 09:49 AM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
Google does.

http://www.macwrite.com/criticalmass...-os-x-ends.php
hm.

So something NetInfo-wise seems to be messed up in some way or another.

Not all *that* helpful, I suppose.

-s*
Thanks for the info. I wish I was smart enought to understand that! I am going to try the Combo update now. Hope that works.
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Aug 11, 2004, 09:53 AM

I noticed that when I open Folder to view what is inside I don't get the view of the files and other items, it's just show nothing and HD screaming, I close folder and open again, and I see files. Anyone else having this kind problem?
I had this problem in 10.3.4 too and perhaps 10.3.3 but I don't recall.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

CubeWannaB
Forum Regular
Aug 11, 2004, 01:40 PM

I though so too, but it's almost brand new PB, so it's really early to die for HD.
My powerbook HD died the first month I had it.

cowerd
Senior User
Aug 11, 2004, 02:18 PM

Has anyone checked S/MIME in Mail.app? Reinstalled certificates twice and seems that S/MIME is broken in Mail 1.3.9.
yo frat boy. where's my tax cut.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Aug 11, 2004, 07:49 PM

i've only had my airport express a week, but...don't think this happened in 10.3.4.

i lose my network maybe once or twice a day; have to reselect it.
then...airtunes & printing no longer work!

called apple,
so far,
i can only fix this with a restart (which, again, i dont think i had to do last week in 10.3.4...)

yikes!

edit: i definitely wasnt restarting several times a day for this...until i went to 10.3.5...

hmmmm
( Last edited by fisherKing; Aug 11, 2004 at 09:51 PM. )
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Aug 11, 2004, 10:55 PM

Originally posted by fisherKing:
i've only had my airport express a week, but...don't think this happened in 10.3.4.

i lose my network maybe once or twice a day; have to reselect it. then...airtunes & printing no longer work!

called apple: so far,i can only fix this with a restart (which, again, i dont think i had to do last week in 10.3.4...)

edit: i definitely wasnt restarting several times a day for this...until i went to 10.3.5...

hmmmm

last edit: photoshop files will open photoshop, but not display! (seen this on 2 machines upgraded to 10.3.5); have to open them from the app itself...

first mac upgrade i wish i hadn't installed...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.

Photo678
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 12, 2004, 10:10 AM

Doesnt happen here, this is with photoshop CS

ChrisF
Senior User
Aug 12, 2004, 10:27 AM

Originally posted by fisherKing:
last edit: photoshop files will open photoshop, but not display! (seen this on 2 machines upgraded to 10.3.5); have to open them from the app itself...

first mac upgrade i wish i hadn't installed...
Have you considered checking with Adobe? Here, for instance?

DominikHoffmann
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 12, 2004, 11:32 AM

Sorry, I hadn't seen this post, when I started a separate thread on an Adobe Type 1 font issue.

Dominik

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Aug 12, 2004, 11:53 AM

Originally posted by ChrisF:
Have you considered checking with Adobe? Here, for instance?

adobe recommended i reinstall photoshop...which worked (and will do for the other mac today as well).

in both cases, installing 10.3.5 "broke" this for two macs... (12" pb revC, new G5)

techtrucker
Senior User
Aug 12, 2004, 03:57 PM

Thought things went smoothly for me...until I realized that one of the user accounts had been deleted! Fortunately it wasn't a critical account (it was one created for postgresql), and the user folder is still in /Users.

edit: I can't recreate the user using the same short name, it says it already exists. Anyone know where I can go to completely remove all traces of a user? TIA
( Last edited by techtrucker; Aug 12, 2004 at 04:04 PM. )
MacBook 2.0 160/2GB/SuperDrive
Lots of older Macs

utidjian
Senior User
Aug 12, 2004, 04:20 PM

Originally posted by techtrucker:
Thought things went smoothly for me...until I realized that one of the user accounts had been deleted! Fortunately it wasn't a critical account (it was one created for postgresql), and the user folder is still in /Users.

edit: I can't recreate the user using the same short name, it says it already exists. Anyone know where I can go to completely remove all traces of a user? TIA
Applications --> Utilities --> Netinfo Manager
-DU-...etc...

techtrucker
Senior User
Aug 12, 2004, 04:24 PM

Thanks, haven't had to go in there in a while, forgot about it!
Lots of older Macs

techtrucker
Senior User
Aug 12, 2004, 04:38 PM

This is getting ugly...I need the original postgres user to open the data I had been working with. Trying to restore it through Netinfo mgr.
And noe Mail is freezing up when retrieving a certain email. I can retrieve the email from my Linux machine but it's still on the server so the iBook keeps trying to get it. I'm going to try setting the prefs on the Linux email client to delete messages from the server after retrieval.
Don't blame anyone but myself, the price of being an early adopter.
Lots of older Macs

Fonzie
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 12, 2004, 06:21 PM

This is sorta related; I often open a folder in Finder just to see nothing's there !!! then I close the window or go a step back and then forwards again and voil� - all my apps are there. Also at times only a few items appear - then I do the limbo all over again and all the items appears.

Weird, and very frustating when you look and ALL your icons and wallpapers are GONE. :'(
There's No Offposition On the Genius Switch - David Letterman

ksuther
Forum Regular
Aug 12, 2004, 06:39 PM

My ethernet isn't working now, and I can't mount any FireWire drives. Gonna have to reinstall and downgrade to 10.3.4...

techtrucker
Senior User
Aug 12, 2004, 07:17 PM

I've had the Finder issue as mentioned but so far only when I go to the Applications folder.
I managed to salvage my postgres install by completely deleting the existing install, reinstalling, then restoring from a dump that I thankfully only did yesterday before the 10.3.5 update.
Got around the Mail issue, so far it's behaving okay after deleting that one email (which was HTML).
Note to self: wait at least a few days before jumping on an OS update.
Lots of older Macs

entrox
Senior User
Aug 13, 2004, 05:50 AM

I have those Finder issues since 10.3.4 or even earlier (I can't remember), so it isn't a regression. I always blamed it on the energy saver setting to spin the HD down, because it takes a while for the HD to get up to speed and the Finder may forget about it ever happening.

Mike Pither
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 13, 2004, 04:32 PM

Originally posted by ksuther:
My ethernet isn't working now, and I can't mount any FireWire drives. Gonna have to reinstall and downgrade to 10.3.4...
After I updated my lacie external firewire drive would not mount and iPhoto could not find my connected camera. I restarted several times and first iPhoto was able to find my camera again and then my lacie mounted. Very strange.
iMac DVSE 400 640mb + AL PB 15" with 1 gig + iMac 2,8 with 4gb + MacBook Pro 2,53 with 4gb

Xapplimatic@Ade
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 13, 2004, 11:10 PM

Yes.. Your Mac is either slow or is being slowed down by some intensive kind of task.. Are you perhaps running Folding at Home? The HD thrashing and nothing showing is that the OS is trying to buffer all the contents of the folder before showing them to you in one swoop.. that avoids slow window scrolling performance that would happen were it trying to resort the list on the fly as it finds new files.. but unfortunately when the system is in a low performance state, the window will remain blank for some time before showing the files.. in your case, the system had probably just finished buffering the contents when you closed the window or had buffered the majority already so that when you opened the window it only had to locate a few more items and was finished in quick order for displaying the contents of the buffer.

I don't believe it to be a bug. It did this on mine under 10.3.4 so in fact it was something you simply hadn't noticed before..My $.02.

l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 13, 2004, 11:10 PM

Software Update crashes hard every time I try to run the 10.3.5 Server Update on my server. Anyone else who runs Server get this?

cheerios
Professional Poster
Aug 14, 2004, 12:38 AM

installer hanging on "Mac OS X Update: Installing (Locating the software to update...)" anyone else having this problem??? it's done it twice noe... i seem doomed to stay at 10.3.4 *sob*
The short shall inherit the earth. Just you wait. You won't see us coming. We'll pop out from under tables, beds, and closets in hordes. So you're tall, huh? You won't be so tall when I chew off your ankles. Mofo

Swift
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 14, 2004, 03:03 AM

You don't say which OS you have. You may have to reinstall it, starting from the CD.

But first, try to see if you can repair permissions with Disk Utility, or boot from the install CD and run Disk Utility to repair the directory. Alternately, if you have DiskWarrior, this would be a good time to run that.

If you can't get it displaying folder contents correctly, back up everything but system files, and do an erase and install. It's brutal, but it can be the only way.

macdaemon  (op)
Aug 14, 2004, 07:50 AM

Originally posted by Xapplimatic@Ade:
Yes.. Your Mac is either slow or is being slowed down by some intensive kind of task.. Are you perhaps running Folding at Home? The HD thrashing and nothing showing is that the OS is trying to buffer all the contents of the folder before showing them to you in one swoop.. that avoids slow window scrolling performance that would happen were it trying to resort the list on the fly as it finds new files.. but unfortunately when the system is in a low performance state, the window will remain blank for some time before showing the files.. in your case, the system had probably just finished buffering the contents when you closed the window or had buffered the majority already so that when you opened the window it only had to locate a few more items and was finished in quick order for displaying the contents of the buffer.

I don't believe it to be a bug. It did this on mine under 10.3.4 so in fact it was something you simply hadn't noticed before..My $.02.
I've looked in Termainal the whole processes and CPU was busy at 5-20%, as usual.
OS X works prefectly regarding speed on PowerBook G4 1.25Ghz, so it is some kind bug.
I've looked the system.log and didn't find anything strange, so Finder just going to cycle and didn't show content of file system.

rugerpower
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 14, 2004, 08:11 AM

after updating panther to 10.3.5, my icons sometimes get screwed up. like for example, pdf files has a dvd-rom icon. is this an isolated case? how can i fix this?

reduxx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 14, 2004, 12:07 PM

Originally posted by rugerpower:
after updating panther to 10.3.5, my icons sometimes get screwed up. like for example, pdf files has a dvd-rom icon. is this an isolated case? how can i fix this?
this happens to me sometimes too, do you use candybar? i don't know how to fix it, but the problem disappears after a log out or restart.

rugerpower
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 14, 2004, 02:14 PM

nope, i don't use candybar. the icons also go back to normal after a reboot.

bigbird 07
Aug 14, 2004, 09:38 PM

I've also had the finder issues (dual 1.42 10.3.5) and had also noticed it in 10.3.4. Open the window (no particular one) and nothing is there. Close it and immediately reopen it and every thing is there. Kinda strange.

keittl.com
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 15, 2004, 08:35 AM

After installing the 10.3.5 update I also had a Mail problem. Mail would start and then use all available processor and basically hang.

Here's how I fixed it:

Before installing the update, Mail had two emails open in separate windows and upon starting would open these two emails.

Quit Mail. In com.apple.mail.plist (in ~/Library/Preferences) under the key ActiveSingleViewers I had an entry for each of the two emails that Mail had open. I deleted these two entries (make a backup of com.apple.mail.plist first) and then restarted Mail. Now all is working normally.

I hope this might help someone who has had the same problem.

SDW2001
Forum Regular
Aug 15, 2004, 09:06 AM

I have that problem too...at least since 10.3.3

It would seem to me more of a rendering problem, no?

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2004, 10:12 AM

I've got an odd one where any files saved to Desktop end up in the bottom-right hand corner that get stacked up rather than distributed evenly in rows. Snap to Grid is enabled but Keep by Arranged is disabled (always has been).
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2004, 05:17 PM

Well, I did the Combo Update and everything is fine now.

The only thing I have noticed that is only a minor annoyance is the icon situation where certain icons have changed. No biggee. But that has been around for a while.
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

ASIMO
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2004, 06:15 AM

So does anyone have any solution for the Finder CPU-hogging madness in 10.3.5? This is my main and major drain in this update.

Quitting/relaunching the Finder every so often is hardly a solution.
I, ASIMO.

Deal
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 16, 2004, 11:04 AM

ASIMO QUOTE:

So does anyone have any solution for the Finder CPU-hogging madness in 10.3.5? This is my main and major drain in this update.

Quitting/relaunching the Finder every so often is hardly a solution.

First thing I would try is to log in as another user. If there is no other user, create one. Check and see if the Finder is still hogging. If it's not, you know the problem is with something in your profile. Then I would start removing prefs from your home>library until the culprit is found.

If it's still a hog in the new user, then the problem exists in the system somewhere. The easiest way to wipe this out is to do a clean instal and choose option, then choose Archive with preserve users and network settings ( I think thats the correct wording for this). It's a couple checkboxes in the options portion of the install. Unless you speak a bunch of languages, you may want to click the next option on the next step as well and get rid of the extra chinese fonts and the plethora of other languages that take up so much space and time to install.

These settings on the install will just replace the system folder and keep your users and applications as they are.

One last thing to do. After the reboot, delete the Previous System folder. Then run all the updates again.

Now see if the finder is hogging.

ASIMO
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2004, 11:59 AM

Originally posted by Deal:
First thing I would try is to log in as another user. If there is no other user, create one. Check and see if the Finder is still hogging. If it's not, you know the problem is with something in your profile. Then I would start removing prefs from your home>library until the culprit is found.

Now see if the finder is hogging. [/B]

Yes, Archive reinstall would be the ultimate solution, though I will give your other suggestions a shot first.

This may actually not be unique, but what is interesting is that in almost every case (as far as I remember), it is I who likely invokes the Finder to go processor-crazy. Hard drive-intensive tasks and opening folders with photos set to icon preview are stimuli that guarantee to trigger the incessant CPU-hogging, which then, of course, triggers the fans into full blast mode; otherwise, the Finder does not seem automatically bent on giving me reasons to kill it.

Now, if you or anyone can solve this mystery with the benefit of this peculiar clue, you shall receive a lesbian Girl Scout cookie as a token of my gratitude.
I, ASIMO.

iomatic
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2004, 01:42 PM

Clock crashes (spinning beachball). No idea why. two different machines.

macdaemon  (op)
Aug 17, 2004, 01:44 PM

Originally posted by iomatic:
Clock crashes (spinning beachball). No idea why. two different machines.
After reading this http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=25810
you'll say that you are lucky guy! ;-)
--
PowerBook G4 15" 1.25Ghz 2Gb RAM 60Gb 7200rpm HD+Ext'l FireWire 80Gb HD SD
SE P900

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Aug 17, 2004, 05:57 PM

Found a pretty serious bug with 10.3.5 server. Sharepoints aren't mounting normally. They seem to be randomly not mounting. Logging out, then logging back in seems to fix it. Right now we're written an AppleScript to mount the sharepoints for us. Argh. Just means more work for us.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

brettcamp
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 20, 2004, 02:07 AM

Since I installed 10.3.5, every time I download a dmg, I get an error message (536870208) saying the disk image failed to mount. I've heard that I'm not alone, and that the problem precedes this latest update, but this is the first time I've encountered it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules