Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Admin Status

Admin Status
selowitch
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2004, 12:19 PM

How come even though I have Admin status, I can't have unfettered access to every folder in every user directory?
( Last edited by selowitch; Aug 13, 2004 at 12:44 PM. )

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 13, 2004, 12:26 PM

Because it's called "admin," not "let's throw out the security model altogether."
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

RevEvs
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2004, 12:32 PM

If you want acess to everything... you need to be root. And I mean everythign BTW - as in you can delete the operating system or vital parts of it if you mess up
I free'd my mind... now it won't come back.

selowitch  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2004, 12:42 PM

Originally posted by RevEvs:
If you want acess to everything... you need to be root. And I mean everythign BTW - as in you can delete the operating system or vital parts of it if you mess up
That's just it. I'd rather not sign in as root for that reason, but I'd like to be able to drop documents into my wife or son's User --> Documents directory at will. Pretty basic benign stuff. Couldn't there be a compromise between Admin and root user?

To put it another way, what exactly does admin status entitle me to that ordinary user status does not?
( Last edited by selowitch; Aug 13, 2004 at 02:44 PM. )

CatOne
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2004, 03:57 PM

Originally posted by selowitch:
That's just it. I'd rather not sign in as root for that reason, but I'd like to be able to drop documents into my wife or son's User --> Documents directory at will. Pretty basic benign stuff. Couldn't there be a compromise between Admin and root user?

To put it another way, what exactly does admin status entitle me to that ordinary user status does not?
You can install/remove software. You can change system settings.

You can also sudo. A non-admin user cannot sudo; they must first su to an admin user, and then they can sudo.

Admin users are members of group 20 (admins). Root is a member of 'wheel' (group 0). The default model is a very, very good one. You may want to learn about it ;-)

selowitch  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2004, 03:59 PM

Originally posted by CatOne:
You can install/remove software. You can change system settings.

You can also sudo. A non-admin user cannot sudo; they must first su to an admin user, and then they can sudo.

Admin users are members of group 20 (admins). Root is a member of 'wheel' (group 0). The default model is a very, very good one. You may want to learn about it ;-)
Can you recommend a good book on the subject?

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Aug 13, 2004, 04:20 PM

How come even though I have Admin status, I can't have unfettered access to every folder in every user directory?
You can find that "feature" in Windows '95/'98...

If you want to "Share" documents for others users to have access to them, why not place them in the "Shared" Users directory?

selowitch  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2004, 04:26 PM

Originally posted by gorickey:
If you want to "Share" documents for others users to have access to them, why not place them in the "Shared" Users directory?
Because I had a hard enough time getting them to go to Users --> <username> --> Documents to get their stuff. Re-educating them is a pain. Besides, I don't want to "share" documents, but rather give them permanently to someone in particular and not to others.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Aug 13, 2004, 04:28 PM

Because I had a hard enough time getting them to go to Users --> <username> --> Documents to get their stuff. Re-educating them is a pain. Besides, I don't want to "share" documents, but rather give them permanently to someone in particular and not to others.
They need the education it sounds like.

Can they use the Internet? E-mail?

selowitch  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2004, 04:36 PM

They need the education it sounds like.

Can they use the Internet? E-mail?
Well, my six-year-old so can surf the web surprisingly well. No e-mail yet because he can't really read.

My wife is something of a technophobe. Familiarizing her with Mac OS X's Unix conventions was really a chore (she's one of those folks who uses Windows but doesn't appreciate the depth of her misery).

timothyh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 14, 2004, 10:22 AM

Well, my six-year-old so can surf the web surprisingly well. No e-mail yet because he can't really read.

My wife is something of a technophobe. Familiarizing her with Mac OS X's Unix conventions was really a chore (she's one of those folks who uses Windows but doesn't appreciate the depth of her misery).

Hi Selowitch.
I know very much where you're coming from. I've recently been looking for ways to share music and photos between 6 users with myself as only admin, so that all who want to can burn CD's, edit/add photos etc. Which you cannot do with the "Share Music/Photos" option. As far as I can tell.
One interesting solution may be here . There may be a simple way to adapt this fix to work for a file of your choice. You'll need to open up a Terminal window and do some stuff, I gather...which is why I'm hesitating on my account. I should explore the powers of Terminal eventually, I suppose - now might be the time. But if you're even slightly more tech savvy than me, it should be quite do-able.
Anyhow, hope this is of some help. And even if it isn't, it might afford some insight into the issues you're confronting in what you wish to accomplish.
Cheers.
iMac 15" FP; 733MHz; 768MB RAM; 250GB ext HD

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 14, 2004, 10:30 AM

Put them in their drop box (in Public).

MPMoriarty
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 14, 2004, 02:57 PM

A better approach to allow for everyone on your computer to have access to files you want to share is to drop them in the "Shared" user account in the users directory. This account allows anyone to have access to the files contained in the directory.

Mike

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Aug 14, 2004, 03:37 PM

Originally posted by MPMoriarty:
A better approach to allow for everyone on your computer to have access to files you want to share is to drop them in the "Shared" user account in the users directory. This account allows anyone to have access to the files contained in the directory.

Mike
Read above.

CubeWannaB
Forum Regular
Aug 14, 2004, 04:04 PM

Read above.

How about creating a folder with folder actions that copies stuff from their drop box to their documents directory? Or an applescript that runs when they log in and does something similar?

Also, you probably shouldn't be teaching them to go to Users-><name>->Documents, but to click the documents button on the left side - you are using Panther, right?

Anubis IV
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 14, 2004, 04:12 PM

Couldn't he just change permissions on their user folders so that he can have access? Seems like the easiest solution to me...I mean, he IS an admin after all.
"The captured hunter hunts your mind."
Profanity is the tool of the illiterate.

Forum Links
Forum Rules