Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Shadow on menubar

Shadow on menubar
lngtones
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 14, 2004, 02:23 AM

At first I thought this was a problem with the LCD on my powerbook, but it's showing up when connected to an external CRT monitor as well. Every once and a while the menubar seems to get this shadow on it and I don't know what's causing it. Anyone else experience this?

MPMoriarty
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 14, 2004, 02:52 PM

Hmm...

No, I don't really recall getting a slight shadow on the actual menu bar itself.

The only thing I can think of is try creating a new user account for testing purposes and see if that shadow appears on the menu bar under that account. If it doesn't, then something might be goofy with your account. If it does, we'll go from there.

Mike

lngtones  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 14, 2004, 04:54 PM

Originally posted by MPMoriarty:
No, I don't really recall getting a slight shadow on the actual menu bar itself.

The only thing I can think of is try creating a new user account for testing purposes and see if that shadow appears on the menu bar under that account. If it doesn't, then something might be goofy with your account. If it does, we'll go from there.
Well, that's interesting. Set up a new account and fast user switched to it. No shadow on that account, and the shadow remained on my normal account.

Fonzie
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 14, 2004, 11:23 PM

Maybe it's a calibration issue ? I'm not sure.

I think the new user gets a default calibration setting.
There's No Offposition On the Genius Switch - David Letterman

CubeWannaB
Forum Regular
Aug 15, 2004, 03:58 AM

The accounts probably share monitor calibration (but I'm not certain).

Perhaps you have a program running that is hiding windows just off screen (and thus causing shadows along the edges)?

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 15, 2004, 05:56 AM

try this:
system preferences > universal access. and see if zoom is on or not. if it is, turn it off.

when i had the zoom on and i ran something that went full screen (a game, or keynote for example) when i exited i had that shadow on top of the menu bar.

i created a new user and it was not there, and then went into activity monitor and the difference was that my normal user was running universal access. turned off zoom, and universal access left the activities.

this was under 10.3.4, so i do not know if it has been fixed in .3.5

ryju
Professional Poster
Aug 15, 2004, 01:30 PM

Also try trashing your calibration settings or recalibrate for your user. It's just the menubar appearing to be shadowed?

lngtones  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 15, 2004, 04:57 PM

Originally posted by ryju:
Also try trashing your calibration settings or recalibrate for your user. It's just the menubar appearing to be shadowed?
It's not there all the time and yes, it's a shadow at the top of the screen over the menubar. Funny thing I just happened to notice. When the shadow is up and I do Expose to Show Desktop, a window that looks like a black horizontal line comes from the bottom of the screen and slides to the top. Now I'm thinking that a program is creating a frame type window and not releasing it and the shadow on the menubar is the window shadow from the top of the frame.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 16, 2004, 05:43 AM

did you try the universal access > zoom thing i mentioned? since that sounds *exactly* like the problem i had. with the expose thing.

Forum Links
Forum Rules