Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > The G5 Powerbooks Is Coming!!!

The G5 Powerbooks Is Coming!!! (Page 2)
KP*
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 10, 2005, 06:05 PM

I don't think there's any point to a G5 PB, given the size and heat problems, especially since it would soon be replaced by Intel processors anyway. However, I agree that if this big announcement is indeed about laptops, then it isn't just a speed bump.

alimunnik makes a good point that the PB line is way behind other laptops at this point, and any fanfare made over small incremental improvements will just further highlight how far ahead the PC world is right now. So if this announcement is about PBs, it better be something huge. Theoretically a G5 would warrant such an announcement, but I just don't think that's it. I think the first PB with the Intel chip is the only laptop-oriented product that would deserve a big event.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 10, 2005, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by analogika
Yes, there is: Any commercial DVD is protected by CSS encryption, and circumventing that is ILLEGAL, despite the fact that you're entitled to a safety copy.
It's not illegal if Apple has licensed CSS for the program (as they already have for OSX's DVD player).

GSixZero
Mac Elite
Oct 10, 2005, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by analogika
no. Not without full LEGAL video downloading/archiving/ripping architecture akin to iTunes and the iTMS, none of which exists.
How do you know? If I remember correctly ITMS basically came out of nowhere. There's no reason that Apple couldn't have been negotiating with studios for the last year.

ImpulseResponse

templetalker
Forum Regular
Oct 10, 2005, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by urrl78
I had to post this from a different computer to cover my tracks. The code name for the 17" G5 laptop project was called "Sizzle Demon", and considering the heat output of the CPU, well, it made sense. Of course, our team as hell bent on cramming a G5 into a 17" Powerbook. It was too great an idea not to try. There were all sorts of crazy ideas as we brain stormed in groups every day trying to "think outside of the box". When the design team finally came up with something that would fit inside the Powerbook we hastily manufactured the first prototype and plugged that bad boy in. Within 5 minutes it made a sickly sizzling sound and suddenly burst into flames. We were all somewhat discouraged, but after a few months one idea finally seemed practical enough to try again. We wiped the smokey smut from our faces and went to work. Finally the second prototype was ready. Even Steve was even there, crossing his fingers with the rest of us as we connected the power source and gave the honor of pushing the laptop's power button to Mr. Jobs. At first he hesitated, knowing what happened to the last prototype, but after assuring him that there was no danger, at least for the first two minutes, he quickly poked the button and tip toed backward to where the rest of us had retreated. The Apple display came to life and there were "Oohs and Ahhs" all around. When the desktop appeared to be complete we all cheered and applauded, while I noticed a broad smile on Mr. Jobs that I had never seen on him before. Some of the female techs were even in tears, having worked very hard on the project for long hours.

Suddenly there was a high pitched whine that emanated from the unit. The screen scrambled, then went completely black. We watched in silence for about three seconds, until there was a loud "PAK! PAK! PAK!". We all took a step or two behind Jobs, who seemed too stunned to move. There was a very loud BANG and when the acrid smoke began to clear I could make out Jobs coughing with the LCD frame of the unit hanging around his neck. Fortunately, aside from a layer of black soot covering his face he seemed OK. At the moment the project is on hold, gathering dust on some forgotten shelf while we all try to get on with our lives.

I am sorry to say there will only be small increments in out next G4 revisions. After the G5 bombed we were all so dogged out after realizing we had spent so much time on it that we could only make minor revisions, due out possibly next week. When you all see there is no G5 you will at least know why. You all have my deepest sympathies.

Hahaha! Good stuff

urrl78
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 11, 2005, 05:22 AM

Thanks!

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 11, 2005, 07:01 AM

I don't think consumers would be "confused" by a Powerbook G5. Purchasing any PPC machine today means the possibility of limited support in the future knowing x86 models are on the way.

The Powerbook is so pathetic, Apple could drop it altogether (like the iMac G4) and post a message "Come back in '06" and they probably wouldn't be hurt too badly.

Unless Apple really gives us other reasons to buy a PowerBook, no G4 update will help the sliding sales. A new chassis, better video, and lower prices would help a lot, but not enough. Any update is welcome, though.

I would welcome a G5 powerbook. If any of the new 970s are capable, now would be the time. It's about two years too late, but what are ya gonna do?

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Oct 11, 2005, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Eriamjh
The Powerbook is so pathetic, Apple could drop it altogether (like the iMac G4) and post a message "Come back in '06" and they probably wouldn't be hurt too badly.
Not.

Last quarter, Apple sold almost 500000 laptops. That's a lot of moolah.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 11, 2005, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
Not.

Last quarter, Apple sold almost 500000 laptops. That's a lot of moolah.
ITYM "That's a lot of iBooks."

$720m over 495k units is an average price of only $1455; that's $45 less than the cheapest PowerBook.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Oct 11, 2005, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by mduell
ITYM "That's a lot of iBooks."

$720m over 495k units is an average price of only $1455; that's $45 less than the cheapest PowerBook.
All that suggests is that more lowest end iBooks were sold than the higher end PowerBooks.

Traditionally, iBooks outsell PowerBooks, but not by a huge amount. Furthermore, there were 634000 laptops sold this past quarter, for a total revenue $824 million. That's only $1300 per laptop, but considering the most popular iBook is only $999, again it still likely translates into lots of PowerBook revenue.

ie. I'd expect that around $350 million of that $824 million laptop revenue (42%) is made up of PowerBooks. That's 10% of Apple's total revenue. ie. Very significant.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 11, 2005, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
All that suggests is that more lowest end iBooks were sold than the higher end PowerBooks.

Traditionally, iBooks outsell PowerBooks, but not by a huge amount. Furthermore, there were 634000 laptops sold this past quarter, for a total revenue $824 million. That's only $1300 per laptop, but considering the most popular iBook is only $999, again it still likely translates into lots of PowerBook revenue.

ie. I'd expect that around $350 million of that $824 million laptop revenue (42%) is made up of PowerBooks. That's 10% of Apple's total revenue. ie. Very significant.
Bah, that's what I get for assuming Apple's fiscal quarters followed the calendar.
edit: *checks the date* Q4 was released today!

That leaves about $500m for iBook sales. At an average price of maybe $1150 that's 434k units, leaving just 200k PowerBooks (at an average price of $1750, which suggests it's skewed toward the 12").
( Last edited by mduell; Oct 11, 2005 at 08:01 PM. )

mrmister
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2005, 03:40 PM

Earth calling alimunnik. Come in, alimunnik. Update us on the location of TEH OMG g5! G5! P0W3RB00K!

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2005, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by mrmister
Earth calling alimunnik. Come in, alimunnik. Update us on the location of TEH OMG g5! G5! P0W3RB00K!

aaaaaaaahahahhahahahaha.

Kudos to you, mrmister.

Although that new iMac MAKES ME WANT IT. I WANT IT. GIVE IT TO ME. Along with a video iPod.
Linkinus is king.

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2005, 12:11 PM

Apple still sells a ton of PowerBooks. Not as much as iBooks, but close.

macross
Oct 16, 2005, 11:44 PM

Yes, and i also forsee a 3ghz mac . Anyway, who cares about a g5 PB when apple products will be coming with Intel sooner or later

far200
Forum Regular
Oct 18, 2005, 02:07 AM

Well one can dream and maybe if they pray hard enough their dream will come true...... lets hope everyone is praying really hard..LoL....

who knows what apple has in store only time will tell.......

mrmister
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2005, 12:03 PM

I know I'm looking forward to tomorrow's expected PowerBooks, though I will eat my hat if they have G5 chips in them.

Forum Links
Forum Rules