Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Pepsi suicide-based ads

Pepsi suicide-based ads
starman
Clinically Insane
Dec 3, 2008, 12:42 PM

Whoa. Even though it's a calorie committing suicide, this isn't the most sensitive thing Pepsi has ever done. Who comes up with this crap?

http://adage.com/globalideanetwork/p...icle_id=132952

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2008, 12:51 PM

Nice pun in the article title.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2008, 01:19 PM

If a cartoon cat can't get hit on the head with an anvil nowadays, why would a calorie committing suicide be acceptible?

Pepsi missed the boat on this one. Idiots.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2008, 01:20 PM

Hey, if they stir up enough controversy they get that much more publicity.

How many people will really stop drinking Pepsi because of this?

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

starman  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 3, 2008, 01:24 PM

I never started in the first place. Don't like Pepsi.

LegendaryPinkOx
Senior User
Dec 3, 2008, 01:46 PM

Indeed, Pepsi just isn't where its at, yo.
are you lightfooted?

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Dec 3, 2008, 01:58 PM

I think its kind of funny and people are taking this like too many things way too serious.
~Mike

starman  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 3, 2008, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Maflynn View Post
I think its kind of funny and people are taking this like too many things way too serious.
TOO seriously? Suicide is very serious. People in that state don't need it shoved in their face.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2008, 02:37 PM

I think they should do another set of ads, where the calories are represented by your typical Nuclear Family, and it illustrates Pepsi ripping away the parents to leave a solitary child, who becomes the sole calorie in a Pepsi Max.

Railroader
Banned
Dec 3, 2008, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
How many people will really stop drinking Pepsi because of this?
Not even complete morans would drink Pepsi voluntarily to begin with..

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Dec 3, 2008, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
TOO seriously? Suicide is very serious. People in that state don't need it shoved in their face.
I don't see the difference between a cartoon calorie committing suicide and playing gears of war, call of duty or any other computer game that requires you to pick up a gun and shoot an opponent.

What about watching an action movie where people are frequently being blown up, cut up or shot.

Sorry but it seems hypocritical to engage in these types of entertainment but then look down at a cartoon character with righteous indignation.

edit: also forgot the old time cartoons with bugs bunny, popeye and the millions of other cartoon characters that inflict violence on another. I don't know too many people who haven't watched them as well.
~Mike

starman  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 3, 2008, 02:59 PM

Killing others in a game is not the same thing.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2008, 03:15 PM

I don't see the difference between a cartoon calorie committing suicide and playing gears of war, call of duty or any other computer game that requires you to pick up a gun and shoot an opponent.

What about watching an action movie where people are frequently being blown up, cut up or shot.

Sorry but it seems hypocritical to engage in these types of entertainment but then look down at a cartoon character with righteous indignation.

edit: also forgot the old time cartoons with bugs bunny, popeye and the millions of other cartoon characters that inflict violence on another. I don't know too many people who haven't watched them as well.
I don't disagree that a lot of video games are more violent than these ads.

However, the big difference is that violent movies and video games require voluntary participation. I am completely sickened by brutal graphic violence. As a result, I refuse to watch the Saw movies. If one of those movies were the movie on a trans-Atlantic flight, for instance, I would be offended and disgusted (and believe me, not much offends me), because I would be unable to avoid seeing something in extremely poor taste.

It's one thing to voluntarily see something violent for your own entertainment. It's quite another to have it unexpectedly pop up in your face as a commercial or print advertisement, particularly when you look at how graphic and realistic these ads actually are. It's not like The Book of Bunny Suicides, which are silly and done in a cartoon-style. The blood and bullet coming out of the back of that character's head after shooting himself is a little too detailed to be "funny".
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Dec 3, 2008, 03:16 PM

So you're saying its ok to take a chain gun in a game and split someone in half with it but its not ok to see an advertisement of a cartoon character hanging himself.

You're really reaching on that one. What about the movies, TVs, and yes, cartoons where there's violence?
~Mike

starman  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 3, 2008, 03:22 PM

So you're saying its ok to take a chain gun in a game and split someone in half with it but its not ok to see an advertisement of a cartoon character hanging himself.

You're really reaching on that one. What about the movies, TVs, and yes, cartoons where there's violence?
Did I actually say that? Seriously, go re-read what I wrote.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2008, 03:52 PM

I just went downstairs and bought a Diet Pepsi from the vending machine... just because of this ad.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Dec 3, 2008, 04:01 PM

I may start marketing my own suicidal calorie stuffed Christmas ornament
~Mike

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2008, 04:16 PM

^ should include a drop of your blood with each ornament.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Dec 3, 2008, 04:23 PM

Suicide is a much touchier subject. Go reread the "last straw" Lounge thread and tell me whether or not that poster would find these ads amusing.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Dec 3, 2008, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
As a result, I refuse to watch the Saw movies. If one of those movies were the movie on a trans-Atlantic flight, for instance, I would be offended and disgusted (and believe me, not much offends me), because I would be unable to avoid seeing something in extremely poor taste.
Stay away from Peru. My girlfriend just got back from a trip there and on one of the flights within Peru they showed an ultra-graphic horror movie, which was especially creepy because they were traveling in dangerous areas where that sort of thing happening to them wasn't exactly out of the question.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2008, 04:28 PM

What airline did she take?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Dec 3, 2008, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar V View Post
No idea. But it was a plane trip within Peru, if that makes any difference. I don't know which airlines would run flights like that.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2008, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar V View Post
Peruvian Airlines?

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2008, 05:11 PM

Inca Air would have been believable.

NobleMatt
formerly crazyreaper
Senior User
Dec 3, 2008, 05:13 PM

wow i love this illustrations they are gorgeous!
The Spammer Formally Known As Crazyreaper
Mac Book Pro 15", 2.66 Ghz C2D, 4GB DDR3 / iPhone 4 16GB

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2008, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
I don't disagree that a lot of video games are more violent than these ads.

However, the big difference is that violent movies and video games require voluntary participation. I am completely sickened by brutal graphic violence. As a result, I refuse to watch the Saw movies. If one of those movies were the movie on a trans-Atlantic flight, for instance, I would be offended and disgusted (and believe me, not much offends me), because I would be unable to avoid seeing something in extremely poor taste.

It's one thing to voluntarily see something violent for your own entertainment. It's quite another to have it unexpectedly pop up in your face as a commercial or print advertisement, particularly when you look at how graphic and realistic these ads actually are. It's not like The Book of Bunny Suicides, which are silly and done in a cartoon-style. The blood and bullet coming out of the back of that character's head after shooting himself is a little too detailed to be "funny".
That's fine you have that opinion and I imagine Pepsi may pull the ads due to negative reaction-- which is also fine. However, are you suggesting that Pepsi not be *legally* allowed to run the ads or be liable for someone committing suicide because they viewed them?

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2008, 10:26 PM

Maybe in the next ad a calorie cartoon person should get anally raped by a Pepsi cartoon. Y'know, just as a metaphor for the calories getting the shaft from Pepsi. Would make great add copy. "At Pepsi, we give Calories the shaft!"
Just as the thought of of a blue, bean shaped thing drinking poison and shooting himself in the noggin as he prepares to hang himself stirs my inner consumer whore, so to would a blue bean shaped thing being forcibly and horribly violated.

Wow, what an idiotic ad.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

christinelu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 3, 2008, 10:31 PM

I lost my sister to suicide 4 years ago. It changed my life and woke me up to a very dark side that many of the people we care about live in on a daily basis until it's too late.

I have NO IDEA how a supposedly world class agency like BBDO could have come up with such an insensitive ad campaign ...nor can I comprehend how a brand like Pepsi could approve this kind garbage. Are their sales really suffering to the point where using suicide as a theme to sell soda makes sense to them?

Fact: Suicide is the 3rd leading cause of death among teens age 15-24.

Fact: Pepsi Max targets that demographic

What the hell were you thinking BBDO and Pepsi?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 3, 2008, 10:42 PM

I don't understood how a obviously non-serious, comic-like advertisement would be insensitive, but killing others in a game is not.

-t

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Dec 3, 2008, 11:12 PM

Pepsi Exec 1: Did you see those Microsoft Seinfeld ads? They're genius!
Pepsi Exec 2: Yeah, I couldn't stop laughing. How can we top it?
Pepsi Exec 1: Umm... *twiddles thumbs* is suicide funny?
Pepsi Exec 2: Why don't we ask the expert.
Pepsi Exec 1: Hi, Mr. Seinfeld? Is suicide funny?
Jerry Seinfeld: Why can't people commit suicide at work? Some guy kills himself, everyone panics, you get the rest of the day off! I call that practical. Am I right? Am I right?
Pepsi Execs 1 & 2: Hahahahahaha!
Pepsi Exec 1: Get Bob from Marketing on the line, we're gonna commit suicide!
Pepsi Exec 2: *a little confused*
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Dec 3, 2008, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
I don't understood how a obviously non-serious, comic-like advertisement would be insensitive, but killing others in a game is not.

-t
Once again - killing is much different from suicide.

BoingoBongo
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 4, 2008, 12:42 AM

Those ads are funny. It's a cartoon, not a person. It's funny.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2008, 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Once again - killing is much different from suicide.
one kills ones self. it's the same thing, minus another person being involved with the killing.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Dec 4, 2008, 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock² View Post
one kills ones self. it's the same thing, minus another person being involved with the killing.
So it's completely different then.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2008, 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by Zeeb View Post
That's fine you have that opinion and I imagine Pepsi may pull the ads due to negative reaction-- which is also fine. However, are you suggesting that Pepsi not be *legally* allowed to run the ads or be liable for someone committing suicide because they viewed them?
Not at all. I am not of the persuasion that a company should be held liable for the actions of a consumer based on anything that is not a direct instruction - advertising, etc. If a company holds an eating contest and someone dies from it, that's one thing. Someone committing suicide over these ads is not the fault of the company.

I was just pointing out that there is an inherent difference between violent video games and movies and violent advertising. One is voluntarily consumed while the other is generally not, and that difference means that the two cannot operate under the same rules and expectations.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Dec 4, 2008, 02:44 AM

It's all in the context really. These ads weren't run in the New York Times, but for a fringe underground cult mag these would be perfect.

And suicidal people have humour too.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Cipher13
Dec 4, 2008, 02:51 AM

"The human race will begin solving its problems on the day that it ceases taking itself so seriously."

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2008, 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by Cipher13 View Post
"The human race will begin solving its problems on the day that it ceases taking itself so seriously."
".... and harness the power of stupid."

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2008, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by christinelu View Post
I lost my sister to suicide 4 years ago. It changed my life and woke me up to a very dark side that many of the people we care about live in on a daily basis until it's too late.

I have NO IDEA how a supposedly world class agency like BBDO could have come up with such an insensitive ad campaign ...nor can I comprehend how a brand like Pepsi could approve this kind garbage. Are their sales really suffering to the point where using suicide as a theme to sell soda makes sense to them?

Fact: Suicide is the 3rd leading cause of death among teens age 15-24.

Fact: Pepsi Max targets that demographic

What the hell were you thinking BBDO and Pepsi?
Well put. I guess there is a point to such stupid advertising… if you're lonely you better commit suicide but in the meanwhile drink a damn PEPSI… Christine's post is all I need to read about such nonsense.

I ponder PEPSI folks didn't liked these ones that much… also by BBDO Germany BTW

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2008, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock² View Post
".... and harness the power of stupid."
Whoa! We'll never need THAT much energy!

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Dec 4, 2008, 08:40 AM

So it's completely different then.
No actually its the same thing, killing is killing it just happens the killer and victim are the same.

I see no difference in the cartoon ad and playing a FPS game. Except maybe the FPS game ism ore violent and more explicit. The cartoon character is funny and gets the point across. I have no problems FPS games, in fact I enjoy playing them myself, and I have no problems with this ad.
~Mike

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Dec 4, 2008, 08:56 AM

No actually its the same thing, killing is killing it just happens the killer and victim are the same.

I see no difference in the cartoon ad and playing a FPS game. Except maybe the FPS game ism ore violent and more explicit. The cartoon character is funny and gets the point across. I have no problems FPS games, in fact I enjoy playing them myself, and I have no problems with this ad.
Wow. I give up.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Dec 4, 2008, 09:21 AM

Wow. I give up.
Great, move along then
~Mike

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2008, 12:01 PM

Job well done Maflynn. It just sucks that it took two people to show Lamy how things are

Forum Links
Forum Rules