Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Best place to buy memory for PB1Ghz/SD?

Best place to buy memory for PB1Ghz/SD?
Porco
Feb 21, 2003, 02:26 PM

I am looking for thoughts on where to buy two 512 modules for my new PB 1Ghz/SD. Any difference in quality of memory?

Thanks ahead for all responses.

Rob

Paul Guyot
Feb 21, 2003, 02:42 PM

Don't go Coast To Coast Memory. I bought 2 GB (1 GB for a Ti, 512 MB for an eMac and 512 MB for an iMac Flat Panel 17"). And both DIMMs for the Ti didn't work.

I finally got them replaced (they arrived today), but I happened to have read their return policy and it definitely sucks (maybe it's a usual case in the US).

Also, as soon as the memory arrives, check it with Apple's Hardware Test. Don't wait for applications to crash without any reason.

Paul
Newton Evangelist and developer:
http://www.kallisys.com/newton/

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2003, 03:01 PM

Originally posted by Porco:
I am looking for thoughts on where to buy two 512 modules for my new PB 1Ghz/SD. Any difference in quality of memory?

Thanks ahead for all responses.

Rob
I bought RAM twice from http://www.18004memory.com/. No problem so far. Otherwise I got also some good stuff at eBay...
Powerbook 1.67ghz 15" (100GB HD, 128MB VRAM, 1.5GB RAM)

Porco  (op)
Feb 22, 2003, 01:44 AM

I just found a good deal on memory at Macsolutions. Anyone have any experience with them? They are offering $175 for 1GB. That is one of the lower prices I have found.

Going with them, my new 1Ghz/SD final cost will be $2400 for the machine and Applecare...

The new deals at the University stores just cannot be beat... I can honestly say that while I really wanted to wait on a 15" Al Book, having a maxed out PB with SD will hold me over quite nicely for the next year or so (of course I said that for my 1ghz/combo drive PB as well).....

Rob

Robster1958
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 22, 2003, 09:11 PM

i found that site too...apple authorized reseller and all. but the memory description didn't seem exactly right.

anyhow..here is my post from a different thread:

------------------------
unless someone says differently, i would go to www.ramseeker.com and pick one of the cheapest. looks like they are down to $85 now

i bought from IWC before for my iBook..just about six months ago, the 512 stick was $135...and i had no problems.

bascially what i think these RAM vendors do is buy the DRAM chips from Micron or Samsung <?>, and then solder them into a pin-compatible configuration that fits various machines. this assembly procedure is fairly trivial (amazing what passes for trivial these days!!), and my opinion is if it works when you get it, it will work. these companies also do QA, burn-in/testing, in addition to the QA from Micron; so all-in-all, "no-name" memory is fine with me. other RAM sellers don't even do assembly, but merely retail and inventory the sticks.

oh...and they are so light...that unless a the company wants to bait with low price and high shipping...they are cheap to ship.

i plan on getting my two 512 sticks for $177 total shipped.

looks like i can get $25 a stick for my 256 takeouts.
Rob
2.1 Ghz 15" MacBook Pro 2 GB RAM, OS X 10.5

16 Gig iPod Touch

Forum Links
Forum Rules