Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > seeking airline power adapter advice for Tibook

seeking airline power adapter advice for Tibook
vdrummer
Forum Regular
Mar 11, 2003, 05:48 PM

Sure seems like an airline power adapter is a great solution for extended usage on airline flights. The Smartdisk cable is on $40 at the Apple store; it's a lot cheaper and lighter than an extra battery. The non-compelling part of the idea is the uncertainty that comes with it - there might not be an adapter at your seat, the adapter may be broken, the airline may change the plane originally assigned to your flight after you've booked the perfect adapter-equipped seat.

Are any airlines more power-friendly?

The Empower DC power Port seems to be the most common type of port - are there certain aircraft that don't have this type of connector, or does it vary by type, and also, does it vary by airline?

What's the easiest way to find out if my flight will have a power adapter at my seat - is there web-based info, or would it be faster to just call the airline directly?

donny31
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 11, 2003, 07:27 PM

Originally posted by vdrummer:
Sure seems like an airline power adapter is a great solution for extended usage on airline flights. The Smartdisk cable is on $40 at the Apple store; it's a lot cheaper and lighter than an extra battery. The non-compelling part of the idea is the uncertainty that comes with it - there might not be an adapter at your seat, the adapter may be broken, the airline may change the plane originally assigned to your flight after you've booked the perfect adapter-equipped seat.

Are any airlines more power-friendly?

The Empower DC power Port seems to be the most common type of port - are there certain aircraft that don't have this type of connector, or does it vary by type, and also, does it vary by airline?

What's the easiest way to find out if my flight will have a power adapter at my seat - is there web-based info, or would it be faster to just call the airline directly?
i looked into this before I went on a long flight across the us and I found that it wasnt worth the cost for the airline I was using --Im not an experienced flyer, but would love to hear from frequent flyers who have long flights and which airlines have the power adapter available. I couldnt find an airline plug anywhere on the flight I was on.

LosJackal
Forum Regular
Mar 11, 2003, 07:40 PM

I suggest using the iGo Juice for your travel adapter. It's a combination AC power, auto, and airline adapter. It's even sold on the Apple Store now.

My wife just bought it and it's great as a second power adapter. Looks cool. And I've heard that some airplanes have cigarette-lighter type power, the iGo Juice will fit the bill there too.
"Sawtooth" G4 450 desktop + SuperDrive
"Pismo" G3 500 PowerBook SOLD!
"Hammerhead" G4 PowerBook arrived!
www.canyouhearmenow.com

Karim
Senior User
Mar 11, 2003, 07:43 PM

I am a F/F on United and here are my general observations:

Empower is the system used, I have a power converter made by Lindt. Works great. I have seen simple cables made without transformers (Lindt has a transformer) that change the connector from Powerbook to Empower. I would worry that a power spike or some other problem with the aircraft power might damage the powerbook. I'm a jet pilot that knows about power busses and believe me the airline has ZERO liability for any power transients, and just because the airplane gets you from point A to B safely doesn't mean there might not be power issues (There is a power spike when they unplug from ground power and switch to the onboard aircraft APU).

United aircraft have the plug-ins in first class and business class on Boeing 747, 757, 767, 777.

I have not seen it on the 737 or the small Airbus 319/320's. Not to say it doesn't exist, but I haven't seen it.

There have been times when the A/C had the port but it was non-functioning. There is a little green light next to the port showing whether it is on or off. The pilot has to switch the system on.

I have also seen on several aircraft where the port should have been, a cover (exact shape of the port) indicating it either was never installed or pulled out. I tried to ask United pilots about it and they were generally clueless except for the part on their checklist where it says to turn it on or off.

I have never seen it on a Southwest aircraft. In general you can expect it to exist only on planes that have Business and/or First class.

I have a Powerbook G4/1GHZ/SD and believe me, the runtime I get on OSX is NOWHERE near 5 hours. Try about 2 hours (slightly less) on energy saver DVD playback setting. Full power is around 1:30.

donny31
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 11, 2003, 08:14 PM

Originally posted by Karim:
I am a F/F on United and here are my general observations:

I have a Powerbook G4/1GHZ/SD and believe me, the runtime I get on OSX is NOWHERE near 5 hours. Try about 2 hours (slightly less) on energy saver DVD playback setting. Full power is around 1:30.
I agree : I use my PB on the road mainly for DVD and internet and I get 1:50 max --I use two batteries for flights and that works pretty well --my theory is if you should stimulate your mind a little by reading on the down time!

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Mar 11, 2003, 09:29 PM

Originally posted by donny31:
I agree : I use my PB on the road mainly for DVD and internet and I get 1:50 max --I use two batteries for flights and that works pretty well --my theory is if you should stimulate your mind a little by reading on the down time!
hehe..That's usually what I do..about two hours of DVD watching+ works on my tibook, the rest is reading...
anyway and a bit of topic..I read somewhere that some compagnies (Lufthanza I think) are going to equip some play for internet connection. Did you hear about that? other companies??
Powerbook 1.67ghz 15" (100GB HD, 128MB VRAM, 1.5GB RAM)

Putta
Mar 12, 2003, 12:31 AM

British Airways have power adapters with the airline adapter (not a cigarette adapter) in all seats except economy. Beware though that AC inverters don't work on BA 777s, only the direct connections.

American Airlines has power ports in Business and First, the first few rows of economy and then at intervals beyond that. They use the cigarette lighter adapter and you can get a map from their website (requires a bit of hunting).

As for internet, Lufthansa have introduced broadband for three months trial between Frankfurt and Washington DC. BA will be introducing it on London-NYC flights soon. The service is provided by Boeing and called Connexion. Do a search in google to find out more.

Thats all folks

Porco
Mar 12, 2003, 02:04 AM

I just recently flew to Italy in coach using US Airways. I flew on one of those new Airbus planes (mind you, I always thought that US Air was the toilet of the skies). We had power adapters in every seat on both legs of the flight (San Francisco-Philadelphia and Philadelphia-Rome).

I used the Lind adapter as well. It is perfect for flights like that. I got to watch a few movies, and do a little bit of work. It was perfect.

Gorby
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 17, 2003, 10:47 AM

Originally posted by Putta:
British Airways have power adapters with the airline adapter (not a cigarette adapter) in all seats except economy. Beware though that AC inverters don't work on BA 777s, only the direct connections.
And considering that's the one they sell through their duty-free, tis rather funny.

I use the Targus adapter, nice and thin, works well. I fly across the pond on BA monthly and in Premium Economy and above they have the sockets.

It's best to ensure that the battery is charged before the flight, if the Targus adapter is trying to power the laptop and recharge the battery, it gets a bit hot and shutsdown.......

Hey ho

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 17, 2003, 11:24 AM

I got a airplane-friendly power inverter, but it's useless as I never take business class anymore, and the airlines I take have no power outlets for economy class.

My power inverter is too heavy anyway. A cable would be better, but for the same reasons it'd be useless for me too. I guess the only option for me is a 2nd battery.

Freeflyer
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 17, 2003, 11:52 AM

Spent a lot of time flying recently, and was fortunate to fly business class. Most airlines now have their fleet updated to include empower sockets in business and first, but rarely in coach/economy.

I have a madsonline adapter that was only $30. Never had a problem with it. It's certainly great to be able to watch movies on a much bigger Tibook screen when you're stucck on a 14 hours flight. My wife has one of the $110 adapters and we've not noticed any difference between the two, except that you can't charge the battery using the basic madsonline lead.

If you're flying business, just charge the laptop in the lounge and use the standard lead on the plane.

J.
By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out - Richard Dawkins

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 17, 2003, 12:13 PM

I'm going to be flying back and forth to Japan three times in the next three months, and the long flights really kill me. I've been thinking about getting another battery for my 12" powerbook, since I only fly economy and I don't think I've ever actually seen an adapter on the airlines I've been on. The advantage of the extra battery being that you can use it all the time, not just when on an airplane. I just wish the 12" powerbook didn't have to be powered down to change batteries.

Forum Links
Forum Rules