Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Odd power lapses w/ 15Al

Odd power lapses w/ 15Al
cdhostage
Mac Elite
Oct 3, 2003, 08:52 PM

Heyall. There's an interesting thing going on with my new Powerbook's power supply. Most of the time my laptop is Kensington-security-cable-locked to my desk, and plugged into my school's network (they disallow Airport. Mungfarts) and the power cable. I put the grounded power cord onto the square power dongle, because my school's power supply isn't too constant, and plugged that into my surge protector. Once every other day or so (just getting into the swing of things - I'm a music ed major, so I don't need my PB at any of my classes ) I take my little metallic bundle of joy to the library to do some nice quiet typing. What's the point of all of this? I've found if I leave the computer on, running F@H, all plugged in on my desk, and leave for the day, the power cable stops supplying power.
Just stops. The light at the PB end is dark, not amber nor green, and the battery has been drained to sleep when I get back. <incidentally, this PB lasts quite a while sleeping on its last dregs - my old Pismo would go to sleep and completely turn off after 20 minutes of emergency sleep>
I can rectify this situation by unplugging the power cable from both the PB and the wall, and plugging back in. It immediately shows green and starts charging amber in half a second.

What could the problem be?

BTW, most people have blue sleep LEDs on the latch - mine's pure white. Also BTW, my battery doesn't seem to want to calibrate - it's been down to emergency sleep several times and fully recharged after several times, and yet it keeps giving estimates about half of what I get out of it. This presumably means that it's warning me "your battery is low" too early and is going into emergency sleep too early. Perhaps I should let it drain to the point of powering off.
Actual conversation between UCLA and Stanford during a login on early Internet - U: I'm going to type an L! Did you get an L? S: I got one-one-four. L! U:Did you get the O? S: One-one-seven. U: <types G> S: The computer just crashed.

Porco
Oct 3, 2003, 09:18 PM

I noticed this too, it only happened when I was connected to a 20" display, though. What I found, in my case, was that I was connected via a surge suppressor, that also included some other very demanding appliances. I rearranged my setup and plugged the AC adapter into the wall, and haven't had the problem since. I hope this helps.

Rob

ulmer
Oct 3, 2003, 10:34 PM

It's actually a known problem/feature of the 65W AC adapter that come with your laptop. Apparently it shuts off because of over-voltage or ground noise. I was getting the same thing at my apartment until I plugged it into my UPS. You can get a small UPS for around $50 now. You might want to give that a try. A surge suppressor won't filter noise or correct over-voltage. Hope this helps...

Apple doc on 65W AC adapter shut off

h00ligan
Forum Regular
Oct 4, 2003, 12:12 AM

yah they had to do this after the lighting on fire problem, lol, it's tru!

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 4, 2003, 01:17 AM

BTW, most people have blue sleep LEDs on the latch - mine's pure white.
Mine is pure white, and I was under the impression they all should be, per Apple standards from all the power/sleep LEDs on recent computers.
<This space under renovation>

Forum Links
Forum Rules