Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 17" 1.5 GHz Fan Trouble

17" 1.5 GHz Fan Trouble
vandelay
May 12, 2004, 07:39 PM

I got my 17" 1.5 GHz Powerbook 13 days ago and after 2 days i noticed the fan on the left side starting and making a lot of noise. I didn�t think much of it, because it didn�t last long and happened maybe once a day. Today i wanted to check Ram using Apple Hardware Test and got a message: 2Fan/4/1: REAR LEFT EXHAUST I also get the same message every time i run repair permissions: " We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./System/Library/Filesystems/cd9660.fs/cd9660.util. New permissions are 33261"
Any suggestions?
( Last edited by vandelay; May 13, 2004 at 08:03 AM. )

rag on a muffin
Senior User
May 12, 2004, 08:36 PM

Originally posted by vandelay:
" We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./System/Library/Filesystems/cd9660.fs/cd9660.util. New permissions are 33261"
i have the exact same problem. i run repair disk permissions one after another, and the permissions still wont get repaired on the exact same permission. i even booted to my eternal drive and repaired it. it stayed until i restarted, then it i ran the repair again and it stopped working again.

We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./System/Library/Filesystems/cd9660.fs/cd9660.util. New permissions are 33261
Permissions differ on ./System/Library/Filesystems/cd9660.fs/cd9660.util, should be -rwxr-xr-x , they are -rwsr-xr-x
Owner and group corrected on ./System/Library/Filesystems/cd9660.fs/cd9660.util
Permissions corrected on ./System/Library/Filesystems/cd9660.fs/cd9660.util
could you record the sound? i would like to hear it.

PS- we need a code box so we dont need to quote apps.
Superhero Of The Computer Rage
MacBook Pro 2.16 Ghz, PowerBook G4 12" 1 Ghz (DVI) Dell 24" monitor
Porsche 944, Mercedes 240D (running onWaste Vegetable Oil)

rsgunther
May 12, 2004, 08:40 PM

2 things:

From what I understand the repair permissions problem is pretty common. It happens on my 15" PB 1.25 & my friend's 15" PB 1.25. I don't know of any way to correct this issue.

In regards to your hardware message, I would call Apple right away. Sounds like you have a fan going out & you need to get it repaired before other serious issues occur.

vandelay  (op)
May 12, 2004, 09:19 PM

Originally posted by rsgunther:
2 things:

From what I understand the repair permissions problem is pretty common. It happens on my 15" PB 1.25 & my friend's 15" PB 1.25. I don't know of any way to correct this issue.

In regards to your hardware message, I would call Apple right away. Sounds like you have a fan going out & you need to get it repaired before other serious issues occur.
I was going to call Apple anyway, but the thing is, i wouldn�t really have suspected anything to be wrong with the fan and just tried to check Ram. So i was wondering if anybody else who has a 17" 1.5 GHz could let me know about their experiences regarding the fan. It doesn�t sound strange, doesn�t run for a long tme,it�s just loud. Also, i�m probably still in denial, because i don�t want to send it in for repair after having it for less than a week.

vandelay  (op)
May 12, 2004, 09:37 PM

could you record the sound? i would like to hear it.

PS- we need a code box so we dont need to quote apps. [/B]
No, i couldn�t, but it just runs relatively loud in short bursts. Like if you switch a hair-dryer on and off repeatedly.

Dave Hagan
Dedicated MacNNer
May 12, 2004, 10:40 PM

vandelay

The two problems are unrelated.

I think the hardware test CD reporting a fan error is serious, and you should contact Apple ASAP. You don't want to melt your computer because the fan didn't work to cool it off.

The permissions error. Yeah, I get that. That's a software issue. I don't think it's going to cause you too many headaches. I could be the build of Panther that will be fixed in the next point-point update.
Dave Hagan | Apple Certified Technical Coordinator | iMac G5 1.9GHz | PowerBook G4 1.5GHz | Power Mac G4 933 MHz

vandelay  (op)
May 13, 2004, 07:50 AM

Originally posted by Dave Hagan:
vandelay

The two problems are unrelated.

I think the hardware test CD reporting a fan error is serious, and you should contact Apple ASAP. You don't want to melt your computer because the fan didn't work to cool it off.

The permissions error. Yeah, I get that. That's a software issue. I don't think it's going to cause you too many headaches. I could be the build of Panther that will be fixed in the next point-point update.

I didn�t think that the two problems were necessarily related, i was just grasping for straws here, hoping i wouldn�t have to send it in. Well, no such luck, just got off the phone with Apple and can now only hope, that UPS shows up soon to bring me the box.

MRTrauffer
Dedicated MacNNer
May 13, 2004, 02:37 PM

Originally posted by vandelay:
I got my 17" 1.5 GHz Powerbook 13 days ago and after 2 days i noticed the fan on the left side starting and making a lot of noise. I didn�t think much of it, because it didn�t last long and happened maybe once a day. Today i wanted to check Ram using Apple Hardware Test and got a message: 2Fan/4/1: REAR LEFT EXHAUST I also get the same message every time i run repair permissions: " We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./System/Library/Filesystems/cd9660.fs/cd9660.util. New permissions are 33261"
Any suggestions?
Hello.

I've been getting the same message on my PB. I used to own an iBook g4 and had the same message about special permissions. It started appearing after the 10.3.3 update.
I gotta have more cowbell.

NightEyes
Forum Regular
May 13, 2004, 02:58 PM

The only message to worry about there is the fan error reported by the Hardware Test. That's a problem that needs to be addressed.

7racer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 15, 2004, 11:41 AM

I don't know if you have the same noise. But my 17" 1.5 has a problem with the fan. When under heavy CPU use and the the temp rising as seen on the program ThermographX, the left fan kicks in.

When it does it sounds like a grinding bearing in the fan. I did send it back to apple for repair. I just got it back two days ago and guess what.....The noise is still there!!!

The worst part is that I can't hear the right fan anymore.

I am also curious if anyone has this same problem.

Also, if anyone uses ThermographX, what is the sequence of events in regards to the fans turning on and at what temps.

Do you hear the right fan? Then the Left?

george328
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 15, 2004, 01:44 PM

I have one of the 17" first generation powerbook. Same thing, very loud noise comes from the left fan, as you've described, it sure sounds like bearings grinding. Quite frankly, I've been too lazy to deal with it. No problems with the laptop so far, I use it for work and other than the noise, it seems to work fine.

One thing I did notice, when the noise first started, if I tilted the screen inward an inch or so, the noise would stop. But now, there's no difference, the noise is there everytime the fan kicks in. It makes no sense whatsoever but I'm guessing perhaps some part of the hinge axle or lcd wiring would jostle the fan around?

vandelay  (op)
May 15, 2004, 05:01 PM

Originally posted by 7racer:
I don't know if you have the same noise. But my 17" 1.5 has a problem with the fan. When under heavy CPU use and the the temp rising as seen on the program ThermographX, the left fan kicks in.

When it does it sounds like a grinding bearing in the fan. I did send it back to apple for repair. I just got it back two days ago and guess what.....The noise is still there!!!

Also, if anyone uses ThermographX, what is the sequence of events in regards to the fans turning on and at what temps.

Did you run the Apple DVD to check the hardware? Any messages?
Btw, UPS dropped off the box yesterday, for sending in the Powerbook. Only problem is, it wasn�t the size for a 17" Powerbook, but for a 12" iBook!

7racer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 15, 2004, 05:25 PM

Nope I will run it tonight.

I spoke to the guys at the genius bar, apparently the two fans and the heat sink are one unit and the whole thing was replaced.

So maybe this is the way it is suppose to be? With the sound????

7racer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 16, 2004, 01:38 AM

I ran the hardware test and no errors found.

MRTrauffer
Dedicated MacNNer
May 17, 2004, 10:33 AM

Originally posted by 7racer:

My fan kicks in around 140-143 on my 15" aluminum. Overall temp has never gotten over 147.
I gotta have more cowbell.

vandelay  (op)
May 19, 2004, 09:34 AM

Now that was quick, especially considering repair was done in the Netherlands! Powerbook got picked up Monday around noon and was back Wednesday morning.
Details: THERMAL MODULE ASSY, TRIPLE, W/FANS

Forum Links
Forum Rules