Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Is there a pressure point in the elbow?

Is there a pressure point in the elbow?
Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Mar 17, 2009, 03:05 PM

Right after lunch, I was sitting in a chair and brought my elbow back, striking the joint against the hard plastic chair armrest. Pain shot through my arm like I just hit my "funny bone," but then it got worse - I got dizzy, lightheaded, started sweating profusely, I thought I was going to pass out at one point, my vision was blurred and I could barely hear. After about three or four minutes, everything slowly went back to normal, but I was still sweaty. This has never happened before.

Any ideas what would have caused it? Is there some pressure point I hit?

Hg2491
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 17, 2009, 03:29 PM

I don't know if it's a pressure point per ce, but there is a high concentration of nerves there. I've never heard about anyone being so sensitive in that particular area to the point you got. I have hit my elbow plenty of times, but the pain never gets that strong.

My guess you just hit a nerve really hard.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 17, 2009, 06:18 PM

There are a bundle of nerves in the elbow that are more or less easily whack-able from behind. As someone who broke his elbow I can say the pain given out by these nerves can be excruciating.

zro
Mac Elite
Mar 17, 2009, 09:39 PM

I've got a 20 or so year old scar on the inside of my right elbow where that bone nublet is. I didn't break the skin, but I hit it hard enough to make a flat spot. It's really weird looking. Almost like looking at it under a magnifying glass, all stretched out. Hurt like a SOB.

Don't remember wanting to do anything weenie like pass out, though.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 18, 2009, 03:32 AM

A pressure point is just a place where nerves are more easily struck or manipulated to cause great pain. So, yes there are "pressure points" in the elbow. As far as there being some sort of "magical chi meridian" there that could create your symptoms you describe…don't be silly.

Sounds like a change in the bloodflow to your head, probably from your reaction to whacking your elbow on the chair. Things like that can happen from time to time.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 18, 2009, 09:34 AM

I hear that on some people, a mangina is hidden there.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 18, 2009, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Right after lunch, I was sitting in a chair and brought my elbow back, striking the joint against the hard plastic chair armrest. Pain shot through my arm like I just hit my "funny bone," but then it got worse - I got dizzy, lightheaded, started sweating profusely, I thought I was going to pass out at one point, my vision was blurred and I could barely hear. After about three or four minutes, everything slowly went back to normal, but I was still sweaty. This has never happened before.

Any ideas what would have caused it? Is there some pressure point I hit?
Did you stand up after hitting your elbow? All your "symptoms" sound like what would have happened if you suddenly stood up after hitting your elbow and got light-headed from the sudden standing. (It's a condition called orthostatic hypotension and all the symptons you describe are typical of what happens when you stand up suddenly. I didn't know I had it until a few years ago when I went for a physical and was told I had low blood pressure which would lead to increased likelihood of lightheadedness and/or fainting.)
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 18, 2009, 10:18 AM

I bet you scream and faint during tense moments and/or at the sight of blood, don't you.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 18, 2009, 10:22 AM

Look up "vagal response".

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Mar 18, 2009, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
hahahaha

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Mar 18, 2009, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by dcmacdaddy View Post
Did you stand up after hitting your elbow? All your "symptoms" sound like what would have happened if you suddenly stood up after hitting your elbow and got light-headed from the sudden standing. (It's a condition called orthostatic hypotension and all the symptons you describe are typical of what happens when you stand up suddenly. I didn't know I had it until a few years ago when I went for a physical and was told I had low blood pressure which would lead to increased likelihood of lightheadedness and/or fainting.)
I didn't stand up.

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
I bet you scream and faint during tense moments and/or at the sight of blood, don't you.
I've been known to pass out when watching medical procedures in biology class, but it only happens if I believe the situation is real. I can watch House or gory movies without issue.

Sounds pretty dead on.

# Watching/experiencing medical procedures
# Sight of blood
# Occasions of slight discomfort, such as dental and eye examinations
I've passed out from each of those at some point in the past.
( Last edited by Laminar; Mar 18, 2009 at 03:49 PM. )

Camali
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 18, 2009, 03:48 PM

Really? Imagine how I felt when my eye doctor, who performed my corneal transplant, looked at my eye and said "you have a loose stitch, it'll have to be pulled out."

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 18, 2009, 04:02 PM

I can take all sorts of physical pain, injuries, etc without being the slightest bit dizzy...even after getting staples in my head.

However, I nearly pass out/vomit every time I give blood at the doctor, and that's just the little vials. I've never given a pint of blood because I honestly think I would pass out and vomit before I was done. I just get a strange sensation when having blood taken, like I'm being drained. Totally psychosomatic, but still something I can't control.

Really embarrassing when I had to get the cute nurse who last took blood from me to get a trash bin because I felt like I was going to explosively puke.

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 18, 2009, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Really embarrassing when I had to get the cute nurse who last took blood from me to get a trash bin because I felt like I was going to explosively puke.
You should have puked on her clothes, then offered to wash them for her.
Or offer to leave another type of stain on her clothes.

zro
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2009, 06:03 PM

Wow, Laminar. That's terrible. Suddenly this thread is no longer funny. It's hilarious!

Nah. It's still only mildly amusing.

KCondon24
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 7, 2010, 03:35 PM

I did something very similar to what you did. I smashed my elbow on the soap dish in the shower. There was so much pain and I thought I was going to be sick but ended up passing out. It took awhile for my husband to get me to come back to consciousness. When I came too I was extremely disoriented. I could hardly move my arm the rest of the day. I have been told that I did hit the bundle of nerves hard enough to put my body in to shock where it coped by shutting down.

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jul 7, 2010, 03:47 PM

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 7, 2010, 08:51 PM

Was it the inside (nearer the body), the outside (away from the body) , or the middle of the elbow that you hit? It makes a difference.

There is no nerve in the middle, but the tendon of the triceps is right there. On the outside of the elbow, the radial nerve is pretty well protected, and it would be pretty hard to do anything to it from behind-it' on the biceps side of the humerus before it gets to the elbow.

But the ulnar nerve is exposed. This is the "funny bone" nerve, and it comes near the surface at the rear of the bony lump on the inside (closer to the body side) of the elbow. If you whack it, you WILL notice it. Whack it hard enough, and Eug's "vagal response" can come into play-basically you startle much of the nervous system through this whack, and you have an autonomic response which can include everything you describe.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jul 7, 2010, 09:39 PM

Definitely the inside. Speaking of timely replies.

downinflames68
Baninated
Jul 7, 2010, 10:56 PM

Yes, I remember it from grappling in Taekwando. You can make people tap out pretty easy from inside the elbow.

ljp00
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 12, 2011, 02:27 AM

I have just today experienced the same thing. but you cant laugh about where it happened....

I was about to get in the shower this morning i needed a wee so i sat on the loo and whilst doin that, i started undressing to save time. as i pulled my tshirt over my head i hit my elbow on the corner of the sink beside me. at first i didnt think it hurt then the pain ran up my arm and i felt sick and dizzy an i thort to my self that i felt like i could pass out.

Then i must have pass-out because i was unconscious and i couldnt hear much. I was trying to figure out where i was i couldnt remember what had happened. I thort i was still in bed then i started to come round a little and i rembered coming to the bathroom. I couldnt see very well just part of a white celing. Eventualy i then remembered startin getting undressed whilse having a wee and i thort SHIT ive pased out on the loo!!! This realistion gave me the strength to move. I lifted my head. My body was slumped on the wall, my glasses hanging loose. my neck was killin as i looked down at myself. My body felt numb and i felt dizzy and sick as i struggle to cover my self up. then i lay bak dwn on the floor trying to get the hearin bak and feel bak in my muscles.

I then spent the next 3hours layin in bed being sick. Only now am i starting to feel better tho the dizzyness is there still. i hopei get better was having a bbq later

Anyway i looked on the net to see if it really was me hitting my elbow that caused all this, and i saw this forum. you all seem so sure that it cant happen, so please someone explain why i passed out on the loo just seconds after hitting mine.

And before you ask....no am not preggers....or was i doin a number 2!! ive heard you can passout from consterpation.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 12, 2011, 02:34 AM

no words can describe the above post adequately

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 12, 2011, 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by ljp00 View Post
ive heard you can passout from consterpation.
I thank the heavens that one cannot pass out from consternation.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Aug 12, 2011, 05:32 AM

I don' t thinks that the point of pressure which to the elbow it spends. I hammer always and certainly that type of sick influence which do not use my thing. Joust, doctor as this it' It no; It will leave and possibility which will be incorrect s where possibly with the history which. By the I and on this your elbow that you where in the party to locate it must beat to the purpose of ciao to which I I think that it spends. It that will beat in the benefits of door? It is good. USA with the baton of baseball? Ehhhhh… It which motion rivet when to finish workmanships which if benefit? There is no probably outstanding idea. Who has a need end, is which necessary to produce the pressure of elbow makes app that. I' The completely useful in the people for which aid its this undoubtedly m prevents the type of version which it has.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 12, 2011, 05:42 AM

^ needs more typos.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 12, 2011, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
I don' t thinks that the point of pressure which to the elbow it spends. I hammer always and certainly that type of sick influence which do not use my thing. Joust, doctor as this it' It no; It will leave and possibility which will be incorrect s where possibly with the history which. By the I and on this your elbow that you where in the party to locate it must beat to the purpose of ciao to which I I think that it spends. It that will beat in the benefits of door? It is good. USA with the baton of baseball? Ehhhhh… It which motion rivet when to finish workmanships which if benefit? There is no probably outstanding idea. Who has a need end, is which necessary to produce the pressure of elbow makes app that. I' The completely useful in the people for which aid its this undoubtedly m prevents the type of version which it has.
Bravo. I'm currently debating whether a portion of this is worth extracting to replace my current sig, which itself has a high level of greatness. More to follow.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Aug 12, 2011, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by ljp00 View Post
I have just today experienced the same thing. but you cant laugh about where it happened...
Is perhaps this teh spammur might bee?

el chupacabra
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2011, 11:22 AM

This is most likely it, or something similar.

It can be considered indicative of other problems but usually not . It's caused by a sudden shock your system. Laying down right when you feel it come on fixes it right away most the time. You will also feel it if you get hit in the knees or sometimes at the chiropractor. It can be considered somewhat of an error being made in the Parasympathetic Nervous System; Although, it is considered to have a survival purpose (to a point), that is forcing you to relax when it thinks you're dieing and need to conserve energy... sometimes it just over reacts.

I had to see ca$h and I realized this was a zombie thread
( Last edited by el chupacabra; Aug 13, 2011 at 11:29 AM. )

Macfreak7
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2011, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post

Forum Links
Forum Rules