Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Hello all, some personal bad news...

Hello all, some personal bad news...
ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Sep 21, 2014, 09:20 AM

I wasn't sure how to broach the subject as frankly, it seems a little self-pitying, but I didn't want to become the guy who went scarce all of a sudden and left people wondering what was up. Plus, as ironic as it sounds - I've actually met none of you, but feel many of us have developed actual friendships in this forum.

I have been diagnosed with inoperable, advanced liver cancer that has spread into my lymph nodes.

I'm going to fight this with everything I've got in an attempt to preserve a quality of life that can serve my wife and daughters well into our elder years. I've got a strong family support structure, a faith that is stronger than ever, and confidence in the medical teams involved, but I make no mistake about the mathematical odds of my challenge.

Next week begins some work on my liver to try to open my bile ducts with stents to reduce elevated bilirubin levels and the week after that I will receive essentially three weeks of radiation in one week. They're going to hit this very aggressively. I may have a respite of a few days and then begins chemotherapy. I wanted to write you all now as I have no idea how this will turn out or what my availability will be once the experience begins.

Even for those with whom I've had passionate disagreement, please accept my apologies for ever having gotten personal and in almost all respects we've been able to find some solidarity. I hope we can all continue to disagree without being disagreeable. God bless all of you.

I love you guys and hope to rejoin from the other side of this challenge ready to participate, albeit in a perhaps more humbled manner.
ebuddy

Cold Warrior
Sep 21, 2014, 09:53 AM

This is very sad, I am so sorry to hear it.

OreoCookie
Sep 21, 2014, 10:44 AM

ebuddy, I am very saddened to hear this. You should not be worried about coming across as self-pitying either, you're in dire straits now and just saying things the way they are doesn't equate to self pity. I'm not an MD, but from the sound of it, things don't look very good. Nevertheless, I wish you the best of luck, I'm glad that you're surrounded by your family and that you found doctors you trust.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 21, 2014, 11:47 AM

I'm so sad to hear.

May God give you and your family strength and comfort.
Never lose faith; the life to come is more glorious than anything here and today.

-t

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 21, 2014, 11:54 AM

Good luck, ebuddy. We are all pulling for you.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 21, 2014, 01:20 PM

You didn't come across as self-pitying in the slightest.

I love you, ebuddy, so I'm going to have to insist the treatment works.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Sep 21, 2014, 03:25 PM

Good luck ebuddy and best wishes for a speedy recovery. Don't underestimate the value of faith and a positive attitude.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Sep 21, 2014, 04:32 PM

What a strong, thoughtful and inspiring post.

Stick it to your illness and live those long years with your wife and children. Good luck and fair sailing!
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

andi*pandi
Sep 21, 2014, 06:05 PM

Sending you best healing wishes, and that the treatment is successful. You have a strong attitude, and that helps too!

reader50
Administrator
Sep 21, 2014, 06:27 PM

Keep up the attitude. People with cancer who give up go quickly. I've seen it happen too many times.

I suggest finding ways to stay connected to the world. You may need reasons to fight later on. We're available here, try reading newspapers, start books and resolve to finish the ones you like. Talk to and call more people than family and hospital staff. Begin designing that supercar you've always dreamed of (or other project). It sets future events to work towards.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 21, 2014, 07:02 PM

I'm glad you have a good support structure, that's vital. We're all here for ya, man.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 21, 2014, 10:29 PM

Good luck eBuddy, and I hope and pray you will be alright. I am truly saddened by this news.

Rumor
Sep 21, 2014, 11:56 PM

****. Over the years we have butted heads, agreed, disagreed, agreed to disagree, but I have never been able to think of you negatively. My sincere best to you and your family.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2014, 12:35 AM

You've been wrong about absolutely everything since joining this forum.

I therefore assume you're wrong about "the mathematical odds" of your challenge. You'll be fine. Walk it off.

Wishing you well.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 22, 2014, 09:04 AM

Jesus Christ. Good luck.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2014, 10:08 AM

Very sad to hear. Wishing you the best of luck, but as Face Ache has pointed out, I'm pretty sure you'll have no problems beating this thing - it's making it through the AGW directly afterwards that will be your real problem.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 22, 2014, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
I suggest finding ways to stay connected to the world. You may need reasons to fight later on. We're available here, try reading newspapers, start books and resolve to finish the ones you like. Talk to and call more people than family and hospital staff. Begin designing that supercar you've always dreamed of (or other project). It sets future events to work towards.
If I may interject my own personal advice, don't be to stubborn to take help for even the most mundane things, like staying on the sofa while someone gets you a drink, or lifting something less than light. From now on your strength is for beating this thing.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2014, 10:39 AM

Stay strong ebuddy... we'll all be pulling from you from far away.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Sep 22, 2014, 12:33 PM

Good luck ebuddy. Prayers sent for strength for you and your family as you go through this.

P
Sep 22, 2014, 02:58 PM

I have recently been witness to two cases of cancer among acquaintances, and it is rough on everyone. It is massively unfair, it eats the lives of everyone around you, and it can break the strongest of your friends. If they don't call any more, it doesn't mean that they suddenly don't like you - it just means that they're human, and that it is too hard. Please remember, when you come out on the other side, that it is extremely hard for them to come back if they feel guilty.

It sounds like you are in a good position to come out the other side of this, and I wish you all the best - and as said, ask for help if you need it.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Sep 22, 2014, 03:58 PM

Do not go gently my good friend. Heaven's PWL can wait - we still need you here.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 23, 2014, 07:28 AM

Crap, ebuddy, that sucks. But you appear to be ready to dig in and fight the disease, and that's good.

It also sounds like your medical team has a well thought-out plan. It takes a systematic approach to work on something like this. Yes, your long-term prognosis isn't rosy, but it looks like you plan on making the most of your available time. Good luck.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 23, 2014, 09:31 AM

45/47

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 23, 2014, 09:33 AM

Best of luck to you ebuddy - my prayers will be with you. Be strong and kick this thing's ass, you badass MF you.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 24, 2014, 05:03 PM

OMG I am so sorry to hear this ebuddy! Stay strong my friend and may God bless you and your family.

OAW

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 26, 2014, 01:15 PM

Holy cow...

We're believing for the best right with you, ebuddy. I'll be praying for you every day. Get through this.

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 29, 2014, 08:15 PM

So sorry to hear this buddy.

I know you will beat this.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2014, 07:46 PM

Not sure if you are lurking ebuddy but just in case I just wanted to send you some well wishes for your treatment and recovery again.

OAW

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 5, 2014, 09:18 PM

I'm sorry I missed seeing this thread earlier. I wish you the best ebuddy, you're a good man.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 6, 2014, 10:51 AM

Ditto. You're in our thoughts

ajprice
Professional Poster
Nov 6, 2014, 04:47 PM

Stay strong. My thoughts are with you and your family to come through.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

ebuddy  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 26, 2015, 10:09 AM

Hello all. I am ebuddy's wife, I posted an update today. God bless you all.
( Last edited by reader50; Aug 26, 2015 at 04:13 PM. Reason: move post to correct thread, link update)
ebuddy

mindwaves
Aug 26, 2015, 10:58 PM

Sorry to hear the bad news. I also have known someone with something similar and eventually had the same fate. Liver cancer is one of the worse to have.

And I don't mean to sound like an advertisement in these bad times, but Gilead Sciences has essentially a cure for Hepatitis C (liver related, I think) called Harvoni. It is expensive, but I have heard has a super excellent chance of beating back Hep C. Just a FYI for those who need it.

http://www.gilead.com/medicines#LiverDiseases

Forum Links
Forum Rules