Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac Video Out

iMac Video Out
Sam I Am
Oct 29, 2001, 12:39 PM

I was wondering if there is a product out there or if the ibook AV connection thing will allow my iMac Video Mirroring port to allow me to hook up my iMac to a TV? VGA -> RCA or VGA -> S video? has anyone done this? if so what did you use?

Thanks

CaseCom
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2001, 01:11 PM

What you're looking for is a scan converter.

Sam I Am  (op)
Oct 29, 2001, 01:35 PM

Thanks! I'll check those out... Can anyone recommend a good one?

Indigo Boy
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 29, 2001, 03:46 PM

Did you follow CaseCom's link? It takes you to a review of two scan converters...

Sam I Am  (op)
Oct 29, 2001, 11:06 PM

Yes I did, I was looking for someone who actually uses one regularly though.

<wiggles>
Oct 29, 2001, 11:18 PM

I was wondering if there is a product out there or if the ibook AV connection thing will allow my iMac Video Mirroring port to allow me to hook up my iMac to a TV? VGA -&gt; RCA or VGA -&gt; S video? has anyone done this? if so what did you use?
HAHAH! You have to PAY for it, because Apple DOESN'T include it. Apple doesn't include a whole lot of things, have you noticed that? I'm sure you have.

Shall I recommend a Dell 4300? They make fine space-heaters. Have you noticed that? my gas company has. (Unfortunately, my power company has also noticed, and has raised my bill sky-high. Energy Star, my ***!)

[ 10-29-2001: Message edited by: vmarks ]

<pb>
Oct 30, 2001, 05:22 PM

HAHAH! You have to PAY for it, because Apple DOESN'T include it. Apple doesn't include a whole lot of things, have you noticed that? I'm sure you have.
You can't hardly expect a VGA port to plug directly into a TV can you?

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Oct 30, 2001, 09:24 PM

If the iMac was capable of displaying video on a TV screen out of the box, there would need to be additional hardware (i.e. more to the video card) to do the job of the scan converter. This of course, would equal more cost, and then people would be complaining of that. I guess Apple figures most people won't use it for TVs to make it worthwhile.

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Oct 30, 2001, 09:28 PM

If the iMac was capable of displaying video on a TV screen out of the box, there would need to be additional hardware (i.e. more to the video card) to do the job of the scan converter. This of course, would equal more cost, and then people would be complaining of that. I guess Apple figures most people won't use it for TVs to make it worthwhile.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 30, 2001, 11:51 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by &lt;pb&gt;:
<strong>

You can't hardly expect a VGA port to plug directly into a TV can you?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Sure you can- plasma screen TVs, HDTV-ready TVs, all have VGA ports.
Just depends on how much you spent on your TV.

<small>[ 07-09-2002, 01:00 PM: Message edited by: vmarks ]</small>
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

xyber233
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2001, 10:31 AM

Hehe, I have a 19inch Sony in my room. Does anyone actually have an HDTV? Just wonderin.

<free lunch>
Oct 31, 2001, 02:07 PM

actually...
some regular old analog tube TVs have VGA connectors. Just bought a new 100Mhz PAL TV for my parents in Germany. Guess what? Comes with a built-in VGA connector.

<vmarks>
Oct 31, 2001, 03:02 PM

Originally posted by &lt;free lunch&gt;:
<STRONG>actually...
some regular old analog tube TVs have VGA connectors. Just bought a new 100Mhz PAL TV for my parents in Germany. Guess what? Comes with a built-in VGA connector.</STRONG>
Is it a real VGA, or is it just using the connector- I've seen some odd connectors on PAL televisions...

yagballs
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 1, 2001, 06:28 AM

Hi Sam,

Here's something that I think is exactly what you're looking for. Its called MyView from eskape labs.
http://www.eskapelabs.com/myview.html

It'll allow you to mirror whatever's on your mac's screen to a tv. But don't plan on watching dvds or vcds with this thing. Since it hooks up via USB, refresh rates aren't that good. But I think its perfect for presentations and such.

Forum Links
Forum Rules