Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Red Orchestra

Red Orchestra
curan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 10, 2003, 09:40 PM

For all UT2K3 owners out there, you have to try this newly released mod!

It is set in the eastern front of WW2, you have to choose between Germany and Russia.
Red Orchestra aims for realism, which means that the pace is slower than most commercial FPS games, and the 'iron sights' system is used for aiming.

The website is here, if you have any problems or bugs, check out the technical support forums for a solution as there are already a few known Mac problems.
( Last edited by curan; Oct 10, 2003 at 09:46 PM. )

curan  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 10, 2003, 10:54 PM

You can see a few screenshots I made here, I'm sure those will tide you over!

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Oct 11, 2003, 07:25 AM

Man this it probably one of the best MODs I've played yet. I honestly find it better than UT2003 itself. VERY well done. Was up till 4am playing this thing. Has a few bugs but they dont pop up often. I am liking the new features in mods of using the ironsight instead of a crosshair for aiming. Very realistic and some HUGE maps where you can literally hide anywhere in a city.

If the MOD community for UT2003 comes up with stuff like this often, we will be set for a long time.

curan  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 11, 2003, 02:25 PM

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2003, 12:08 PM

Here's an interesting background reader on Stalingrad:

http://www.eisenhowerinstitute.org/p...erienceww2.htm

J

curan  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 12, 2003, 12:40 PM

I don't know with what intention you posted that (interesting and informative) article, but in case you meant to say that RO is in bad taste... well the game is still just that, a game, and isn't intended as a political/historical lesson. Nor does it try to glorify war or show it in a particular light...

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2003, 07:49 AM

Originally posted by kuran:
I don't know with what intention you posted that (interesting and informative) article, but in case you meant to say that RO is in bad taste...
No morality intended,

I'm an old Wolfenstein addict

If I had a point, it was simply to emphasize the sheer, astonishing scale of the east front in WWII and it's importance in the overall outcome.

The US media excels in painting portraits of Normandy, with epic tales such as 'Band of Brothers' or 'Saving Private Ryan', echoed then in games such as Wolfie or MoHAA. Astonishingly, the otherwise excellent WWII Online doesn't even have an eastern front!

Who was it that marched into Berlin again?

Movies and games are great at distorting history in alarming ways, hopefully this game broadens some perspectives.

Quoting from the article:

"General Eisenhower had just over 3,000,000 men under his command, with about a third of them safely in England, and faced a German Army of less than 1,500,000 of which our forces killed 834,314. At the same time, Soviet armies in excess of 20,000,000 soldiers were fighting German armies totaling 5,700,000 at their strongest and killed 2,415,690 of them as they fought their way out of Russia and on to Berlin."

J

PacHead
Baninated
Oct 13, 2003, 04:55 PM

I like world war 2 games, and the screenshots to this game look pretty nice.

However, nobody is distorting history, as some other poster pointed out.

Even if it was the russians who marched into berlin first, and they were sort of our allies, they were still the bad guys at that time.

So the difference between this game and say medal of honor allied assault is:

Germans VS Russians = Bad vs Bad

They were both evil at the time, so I don't particulary care for neither of them. Stalin was a lunatic, and some things the soviets did rivaled the barbaric actions of the naziscum.

If I play this game, it don't really matter which side I'm on, cause they both deserved to lose, and I wanna see 'em both dead.

Forum Links
Forum Rules