Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > easiest way to downgrade from 10.2.4??

easiest way to downgrade from 10.2.4??
layz1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 8, 2003, 04:16 PM

Hey guys,

I've been having battery problems in 10.2.4 on my ibook, and I was wondernig what would be the easiest way to downgrade to 10.2.x? I'd prefer not to lose all my preferences and settings. Thanks

Henry

pat++
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2003, 04:40 PM

Originally posted by layz1:
Hey guys,

I've been having battery problems in 10.2.4 on my ibook, and I was wondernig what would be the easiest way to downgrade to 10.2.x? I'd prefer not to lose all my preferences and settings. Thanks

Henry
Reinstall Jaguar with Archive&Install option.

Nagittar
Mar 10, 2003, 12:55 AM

Originally posted by pat++:
Reinstall Jaguar with Archive&Install option.
I too would like to uninstall 10.2.4 and revert to 10.2.

I'm having all sorts of problems with control-clicking crashing the app i'm in and my numeric keyboard has stopped working ...

I tried the above suggestion to reinstall jag using the archive and install option but when i get to that screen it tells me i'm currently using a newer version of software than the one i'm tring to install. Obviously, as that's what i'm trying to do!

I'm running a B&W G3. My path to 10.2.4 was
: 10.1.5 ==> 10.2 ==> 10.2.3 Combo ==> 10.2.4. I read in a previous thread that installing the 10.2.4 Combo update fixed a few of the problems that people were having. I have tried that with no luck ...

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2003, 02:25 PM

Originally posted by Nagittar:
I'm running a B&W G3. My path to 10.2.4 was
: 10.1.5 ==> 10.2 ==> 10.2.3 Combo ==> 10.2.4. I read in a previous thread that installing the 10.2.4 Combo update fixed a few of the problems that people were having. I have tried that with no luck ...
Backup your important documents and settings then reformat and reinstall Jaguar.
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

vasu
Senior User
Mar 10, 2003, 05:17 PM

you could just delete everything on the hard drive except for the Users folder and the Applications folder.

Then just install from the CD, it wont see an OSX system installed and will install a new system, but wont touch your Users folder. When you get to the Setup Assistant after installation, just use the same username and password, and it will just continue to use the existing account that you left in the Users folder.

I've done this several times, and it works fine.

If you have access to OS9, this is easy to do, as you just drag is to the trash.

If you are gunna do it in OSX, which is still possible, just make sure to delete /bin last because you dont' want to rm the rm command before you are done rm'ing everything else.

You can just sudo rm -rf Library System bin etc mach mach.sym mach_kernal private sbin usr

But like I said, make sure the /bin is what you delete last because that's where the rm command is.

Seems tricky and risky but as long as you don't delete the Users folder, your account and all it's settings will be left in place.

-vasu

Nagittar
Mar 11, 2003, 01:56 AM

Originally posted by [APi]TheMan:
Backup your important documents and settings then reformat and reinstall Jaguar.
I have since realised you can't do an archive & install from the 10.2 Upgrade CD (which i have been trying to do) but only the full 10.2 install.

As the 10.2.4 Combo didn't help my keypad problems and control-clicking crashing my apps, i think the best option is to fomat and install 10.1.5.

Forum Links
Forum Rules