Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > [ANN] WindowShade X 3.5, Labels X 1.6.1

[ANN] WindowShade X 3.5, Labels X 1.6.1
slava
Forum Regular
Oct 18, 2004, 03:08 PM

Just a quick note for you, our favorite bunch on our favorite forum (okay, since I cannot speak for the whole company, MY favorite forum : we have released WindowShade X 3.5 and Labels X 1.6.1. Both are a free upgrade. Here's what's new:

- This update is free for all registered users, as usual.
- New "Make Window Float On Top" action to make specified windows float on top of all others.
- Added "Hide MIP Windows While in Expos�" option to manage how you want your minimized-in-place windows to be displayed while in Expos� mode.
- New icon and new interface.
- Much better X11 integration.
- Drawers are now affected by the "Set Transparent" affect, just like their parent windows.
- Implemented new minimize-in-place animations: Fade and Scale. The Scale effect should be smoother now. Steve Mode (hold Shift for slow-mo) is in as well.
- New serial number system.
- Fixed a bug with WSX not respecting custom window shapes in Carbon apps (X-Lite, CustomWindow.app).
- Worked around the bug in Mac OS X that may cause WindowServer to freeze during MIP animation transitions.
- MIP windows now have a contextual menu which you can use to restore the window, or all windows in the application.
- Fixed a bug with minimize-in-place windows losing its magnification state after the invocation of Expos�.
- If WSX .ape module is missing in the proper directory (for example, disabled by the APE Manager), the preference pane will warn the user.
- Much better drawers and sheets support for Carbon applications.
- Improved implementation of "Double Command" and "Double Control" actions to prevent unwanted activations.
- Better handling of floating but collapsible windows in the Cocoa applications while WindowShading.
- Fixed a bug with conditions when Caps Lock key was pressed, "Command key pressed twice" and "Control key pressed twice" actions were not working.
- Substantial amounts of other bug fixes and code re-factoring.

Direct download link: http://www.unsanity.net/windowshade-x-35.dmg
More info: http://www.haxies.com/wsx/

- No longer causes the sidebar icons to become generic folders. If your sidebar icons are generic, remove them and re-add them to the sidebar. Labels on sidebar items are not supported.
- New Registration System. Registered users are able to click the Update Now button to quickly and easily update their registration. The new serial number works across users so if you have permissions to write to /Library, all users will get the new SN automatically.
- The "Help" button in the preference pane now works.
- Other miscellaneous changes to the installer.

Direct download link: http://www.unsanity.net/labels-x-161.dmg
More info: http://www.haxies.com/labels/

As usual, thanks for your feedback, support, and good mood for us every single day!
// slava@unsanity

brazil
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 18, 2004, 03:19 PM

Got em' both ! Thanks for the heads up . LONG LIVE UNSANITY !!!
"I'm a Grey Chicken" - This is what my African Grey said . She did not learn it from me. www.screaminmoon.com

justinp
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 18, 2004, 03:32 PM

I'd like for WindowShadeX to be able to perform an action on windows that move into the background...

Example: Any window without focus is transparent.

siMac
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2004, 03:42 PM

Originally posted by justinp:
Example: Any window without focus is transparent.
That would be super-cool.

Slava, is that possible for a future version?
|\|0\/\/ 15 7|-|3 71|\/|3

slava  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 18, 2004, 03:43 PM

Originally posted by siMac:
That would be super-cool.

Slava, is that possible for a future version?
Sounds like a cool idea (entering this into the bugs/suggestions tracker)! =)
// slava@unsanity

Macanoid
Senior User
Oct 18, 2004, 03:47 PM

That's indeed a cool idea!!! Otherwise, Windowshade rules. Without it OSX doesn't feel quite as nice. Brilliant program, thanks!!

underwood
Forum Regular
Oct 18, 2004, 03:48 PM

is there some way to have shadows over the minimize-in-place thumbnails? please?

kwyjiboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 18, 2004, 09:27 PM

This is my second year beta testing WSX and offering feedback. This is also my second year having my feedback ignored. Way to listen, Unsanity.
Septuple post! Quadruple word score!

olorin15
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 18, 2004, 09:32 PM

Originally posted by kwyjiboy:
This is my second year beta testing WSX and offering feedback. This is also my second year having my feedback ignored. Way to listen, Unsanity.
Jesus, so much anger on these forums lately, and so much selfish immaturity. It's all me me me ... Get over yourselves already! It's called "giving feedback" and not "telling Unsanity what to do" for a reason ...
Dopeler effect: The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they
come at you rapidly

loren s
Senior User
Oct 18, 2004, 09:46 PM

how about haveing an option to have the window transparent "but" not the title bar ? Like in Taco HTML edit or Terminal.app ??? I like the way you can still see through the window but the title bar is still easy enough to find.

WICKEDfour
Forum Regular
Oct 18, 2004, 11:49 PM

Great updates, Slava. I do have a few suggestions/bugs for WSX, though:

I suppose it should be an option, but I'd love it if a minimized-in-place window would expand when chosen via Expos�.

When you activate Expos� with minimized-in-place windows visible during Expos�, if they're any smaller than the largest setting, they kind of double-clutch themselves (they suddenly get larger and then go back to the size they should be).

I really like justinp's idea; I use single application mode in Quicksilver, but it really annoys me that all other windows are simply hidden. Perhaps the user could define different settings for inactive windows of the currently active application and all other inactive windows.

The way that the Transparent Windows Opacity slider is positioned looks odd to me; it looks as if it's indented under "Attempt to Shade Custom Window Types" checkbox. Not sure what you can really do about that other than giving it a separate box of its own or adding a line between it and the aforementioned checkbox.

I love making precise settings to almost everything, therefore I'm not extremely happy that you removed the text that would display the pixel values of the shadow settings. Bring them baack ;-), maybe along with pixel value indicators for the MIP window sizes, magnification amount, and transparency, not to mention the transparent window opacity slider.

Okay, that's all. Boy do I sound ungrateful, eh? Seriously though Slava, WSX just keeps getting better; I'm almost ready to cough up $10 for permanent use .

Themer | Metroid 2002 Supporter | Switchboard Operator | A Special K | Professional Lurker

kwyjiboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 18, 2004, 11:55 PM

How about windows that stick to each others' edges, and to the edges of screens?

Banghazi
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 19, 2004, 06:46 AM

^^I've always wanted something like that.

kwyjiboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 19, 2004, 08:41 AM

Originally posted by Banghazi:
^^I've always wanted something like that.
Me, too. If you want it, e-mail Unsanity or post a comment on unsanity.org.

slava  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 19, 2004, 10:19 AM

Originally posted by kwyjiboy:
Me, too. If you want it, e-mail Unsanity or post a comment on unsanity.org.
We have actually added this as a possible feature for the next major WSX update, along with some other things. No release dates whatsoever yet though.
// slava@unsanity

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2004, 12:43 PM

Great updates. Unsanity rocks!
click one

kwyjiboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 19, 2004, 06:48 PM

Originally posted by slava:
We have actually added this as a possible feature for the next major WSX update, along with some other things. No release dates whatsoever yet though.

barbarian
Senior User
Oct 20, 2004, 12:35 PM

Appreciate the update, but when will minimized windows under windshade be incorporated into expose... that's what I've been waiting for...

underwood
Forum Regular
Oct 31, 2004, 03:01 AM

Originally posted by underwood:
is there some way to have shadows over the minimize-in-place thumbnails? please?
um, so will shadows be back in the next release. they were shadows in the jaguar version and screenshots on unsanity. please shadow them?

slava  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 1, 2004, 02:30 AM

Originally posted by underwood:
um, so will shadows be back in the next release. they were shadows in the jaguar version and screenshots on unsanity. please shadow them?
We're working on it. Hopefully this will be rolled into 3.0.1 along with some localizations.
// slava@unsanity

Forum Links
Forum Rules