Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Suv Drivers Post Here

Suv Drivers Post Here (Page 2)
Cipher13
Oct 9, 2002, 12:16 AM

Originally posted by Nimisys:
i addressed the soccermom senerio, and sadly it is not the SUV's fault it is the soccermom. she behaves and treats ir as a car and not a truck, cause that what she was lead to believe or only knows. she wouldn't be bitchmom mcsoccer if she knew she was driving a 2 ton truck and not a sedan

every complaint ca$h had was that the SUV didnt behave like a car, it doesnl;t handle as well, it isn't as stable,it uses more gas, it can;t brake, well no ****, its not a car, its a truck. the complaints aboujt driver beahavior (ie bitchmom mcsoccer almost running me over) stmes form the fact that people treat tham as cars and not as a trucks
Yes, we never blamed the SUV's. They have their purposes. For most people, they're unrealistic. Do you deny that? Try it.

I'm blaming the owners/drivers, not the vehicles. Just like I blame the shooters, not the guns.

kertong
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 9, 2002, 12:30 AM

show me another vehicle i can take down a mountain road to a trail head. sure a truck could do that.

show me a vehicle that can seat 5 in a normal sedan fashion and still allow my dog to ride in the back during a rain storm. a station wagon could also do that

show me a vehicle that i can load some kayaks on and go down to the river. maybe a truck with a long bed or a station wagon

show me a vehcile that can pull my boat down to the water and it a family of 4 in comfortably and store our stuff in the back protected form the elements. maybe one of the newer 4door trucks with a bed cover.
Sure. A Ford Explorer.

But how many ford explorer owners do you see actually doing all of those regularly enough to warrant dropping $30+k on one?

No doubt, SUVs win hands down when transporting, hauling, offroading with some sort of "comfort", room, trunk capacity, etc.. but the average joe does NOT need those abilities, regardless of what the car industry is telling us.
I live my life one cool toy at a time.

Nimisys
Banned
Oct 9, 2002, 12:34 AM

Originally posted by Cipher13:

For most people, they're unrealistic. Do you deny that? Try it.
depends on what size suv you are refering to. super grande SUV? you'll get no arguments from me on it. same for the mini-utes.

the mid size and to a certain degree the large's however i do deny it.

prior to me owning the jepp my father drove it from 1990-1998 100 miles a day to and from work. he bought it at 30k miles and i got it at 200k miles. so for the most part it was a commuter car. my mom worked nights during my childhood and in 1990 he had 3 kids and in 92 4 kids at night to deal with. so any vehicel he owned would need to be able to fit 5. so yeah a car seemed leike it would be a better choice here and i agree. some of his hobbies are flying rc sailplanes, fishing, camping, hiking. so he wanted a vehicle that could handle going off the road, that he could load backpacks up into or fishing/camping gear or 6foot wingspan plane. obvously your standard sedan could not do that. at that time what other vehicles could carry 5 and also beable to accomidate the activities he enjoys? only a few large trucks could and they were way expensive and way too big. so he bought the cherokee, it could be car when he needed it to or truck when the time called for it.

now driving down the road seeing all those people with SUV's, how do you know they donlt have similar realistic reasons for owning them. you may only see them when they are using it as a commuter vehicle, you may not see it where it is transporting there family and dogs to the park or up the mountains for camping, or back form home depot with wood and cement bags in the back. you only see them and their vehicle in a role better suited by an aconobox. unforunitly not everyone can affored or has the room for a truck a station wagon and a commuter car to accomidate their activities. so an SUV that fills all those roles is a realistic solution

bender
Forum Regular
Oct 9, 2002, 12:52 AM

Wow, Ca$h is smarter than I thought.

I say SUV's are anti-American. Driving them increases our dependence on Saudi Arabian oil, which in turn funds the terrorists who want to kill us.

Nimisys
Banned
Oct 9, 2002, 12:57 AM

i say being an ignorant **** is anti-american

most our oil comes from mexico and other non arabian countries

Cipher13
Oct 9, 2002, 01:00 AM

depends on what size suv you are refering to. super grande SUV? you'll get no arguments from me on it. same for the mini-utes.

the mid size and to a certain degree the large's however i do deny it.

prior to me owning the jepp my father drove it from 1990-1998 100 miles a day to and from work. he bought it at 30k miles and i got it at 200k miles. so for the most part it was a commuter car. my mom worked nights during my childhood and in 1990 he had 3 kids and in 92 4 kids at night to deal with. so any vehicel he owned would need to be able to fit 5. so yeah a car seemed leike it would be a better choice here and i agree. some of his hobbies are flying rc sailplanes, fishing, camping, hiking. so he wanted a vehicle that could handle going off the road, that he could load backpacks up into or fishing/camping gear or 6foot wingspan plane. obvously your standard sedan could not do that. at that time what other vehicles could carry 5 and also beable to accomidate the activities he enjoys? only a few large trucks could and they were way expensive and way too big. so he bought the cherokee, it could be car when he needed it to or truck when the time called for it.

now driving down the road seeing all those people with SUV's, how do you know they donlt have similar realistic reasons for owning them. you may only see them when they are using it as a commuter vehicle, you may not see it where it is transporting there family and dogs to the park or up the mountains for camping, or back form home depot with wood and cement bags in the back. you only see them and their vehicle in a role better suited by an aconobox. unforunitly not everyone can affored or has the room for a truck a station wagon and a commuter car to accomidate their activities. so an SUV that fills all those roles is a realistic solution
See, now in your scenario that's fine. I'm mostly talking about the super SUV's, but not entirely... normal sized ones (Explorer, etc) too.

How do I know? Because I know a lot of families with SUV's, and they do NOT use them like that... this I know for a fact.

They could also fit their kids into a normal car. That is the problem. My ex's family had a Toyota Landcruiser Prado... prett big. They have 3 kids, and I can't imagine them going further than 10 km's from civilisation...

Keep in mind that I haven't denied their usefulness.

Cipher13
Oct 9, 2002, 01:02 AM

No offense or anything, but I'd have to say being an ignorant **** is the embodiment of being American

In general.

*ducks*

bender
Forum Regular
Oct 9, 2002, 01:08 AM

most our oil comes from mexico and other non arabian countries
Um, no. We import more oil from Saudi Arabia than from Mexico or any other country outside of the middle east, except for Canada.

bender
Forum Regular
Oct 9, 2002, 01:13 AM

Originally posted by Cipher13:

No offense or anything, but I'd have to say being an ignorant **** is the embodiment of being American

In general.

*ducks*
Hey..where do you live?

I just like saying anti-american since it's such a fav of the conservative crowd. Not all American's are ignorant...just the ones who voted for Bush.

Cipher13
Oct 9, 2002, 01:15 AM

Originally posted by bender:

Hey..where do you live?

I just like saying anti-american since it's such a fav of the conservative crowd. Not all American's are ignorant...just the ones who voted for Bush.
Yeah, I know.

I live in Australia... and we're just as bad.

It wasn't a personal comment to anybody.

Nimisys
Banned
Oct 9, 2002, 01:23 AM

Originally posted by bender:

Um, no. We import more oil from Saudi Arabia than from Mexico or any other country outside of the middle east, except for Canada.
your numbers are old

flatcatch
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 9, 2002, 01:59 AM

your numbers are old
Mexico, Saudi Arabia, and Canda have been swapping all over the place this year. Mexico surpassed the Saudis for the fourth quarter of 2001 - quite a feat given that Saudi Arabia was the top dog for all but 2 years from 1990-2000. Saudi Arabia retook #1 back in March of this year (petroliumworld.com), but Canda was #1 for the totals from Jan-May 2002 (DOE).

Keep the rubber side down!

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2002, 02:19 AM

Why do you care who has an SUV or not?

People work hard for their money, and are free to buy whatever vehicle they want.

Find something productive to do with your time, and stop trying to demonize.

Cipher13
Oct 9, 2002, 02:31 AM

Originally posted by spacefreak:
Why do you care who has an SUV or not?

People work hard for their money, and are free to buy whatever vehicle they want.

Find something productive to do with your time, and stop trying to demonize.
Why do you care who has a gun or not... do you?
Why do you care which countries have chemical, biological, and nuclear weapons? Or do you not?

And so on... you get the idea.

Use your brain once in a while, it can come in pretty handy.

Miniryu
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2002, 02:52 AM

Originally posted by gumby5647:

.....that don't use them for their intended purpose.
Alright, I'll give you this one: **** all of you SUV owners that don't use them for their intended purpose. My parents have an SUV, but we camp and outdoor it all the time. It is by no means a pretty machine used to pick up the kids from soccer. We had one of the first Jeeps way back before they were trendy to own.

(I'm in a really pissy mood right now over the fact that we might go to war and over all this Tupac B.S. (http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=126895), so try not to make me sound nice anymore.)

"Sing it again, rookie beyach."
My website

Forum Links
Forum Rules