Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Upgrades

Upgrades
horrorbiz
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 8, 2003, 04:02 PM

Besides memory and cpu upgrades what can I do to speed up my:

Blue and White
G3 400
896mb ram
?

Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Taipan
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 8, 2003, 04:25 PM

Hi!
A new video card also helps, especially with OS X. Best would be an ATI Radeon, but you probably won't find a new one anymore.

the weatherman
Apr 8, 2003, 05:16 PM

Originally posted by Taipan:
Hi!
A new video card also helps, especially with OS X. Best would be an ATI Radeon, but you probably won't find a new one anymore.
A faster hard drive will help (especially if it is connected to one of those ATA/IDE cards, like an Acard, Siig or those from Sonnet)

And of course, we can't really help it but if you do want to speed up the B&W, a CPU upgrade is the way to go, either the G4 550 (clockable to 600) or the new G3 800 (clockable to 900, i think).

horrorbiz  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 8, 2003, 06:05 PM

>>A faster hard drive will help (especially if it is connected to one of those ATA/IDE cards, like an Acard, Siig or those from Sonnet)

And of course, we can't really help it but if you do want to speed up the B&W, a CPU upgrade is the way to go, either the G4 550 (clockable to 600) or the new G3 800 (clockable to 900, i think).

I know! I can't wait to get a G3 800, i just don't have the cash right now.

About the hard drive, what is a faster hard drive? And how do I found out how fast my hard drive is? I bought my computer used and it has a 30gb..which i assume was put in after purchase because the b&w didn't have one that big. thank you

horrorbiz  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 8, 2003, 06:10 PM

Also, IS it posible to get dual processors in a blue and white g3? If so what are my options?

DrBoar
Senior User
Apr 10, 2003, 08:39 AM

A fast G3 is what I would get. ( no driver no possible future compability problems, just a speed boost) Performance should be on par with the G4 accelerators in most applications take a look at www.xlr8yourmac.com

Getting a faster card is only usefull for games for other apps the 128 is enough. To get a boost in X you would need a AGP card and that is impossible as you do not have a AGP slot.

I would not bother with a faster drive, if you do not need a bigger drive anyhow. The 30 GB drive sure is faster than the original 6 GB drive and not much slower than "fast" drives.

By fast drives I would men the special edition variants that has 8 MB caches instead of 2 MB.

I hope that you have replaced the horrible hockey puck mouse and the small keayboard with modern optical mouse and full size keyboard.

DrBoar
Senior User
Apr 14, 2003, 08:31 AM

The good news is that I have found a source of the original PCI Radeon card
http://www.macademic.se/
The bad news is that they want to have 420 dollars for it! What are they thinking? (twise their price of the ATI 9000, that they call 9500)

I do not think you can get dual CPUs on the B&W at least I have never seen any.

Chinasaur
Senior User
Apr 16, 2003, 01:56 PM

I also have a B&W (450) and the video is horrible. 1024@85 or 1280@60 ..and other assorted low-res choices.

The ATI Radeon 7000 PCI is selling for ~$114 but requires 9.2.1 ... and I don't want to upgrade right now.

Anyone know of a card that does NOT require an OS upgrade from 9.1 that would work in the B&W? Used or new is fine.

TIA
iMac - Late 2015 iMac, 32GB RAM
MacBook - 2010 MacBook, 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM

a2daj
Mac Elite
Apr 16, 2003, 03:25 PM

Why don't you want to upgrade to 9.2.x? It's not OS X specific. It contains more than just 'Classic Environment enhancements.' If you can install 9.2.2, then I recommend doing so. Now, if it's due to some incompatibility issue, then I can understand that, otherwise I don't understand why so many people who can use 9.2.x are hesitant to upgrade from 9.1.

XLR8 had a dual upgrade for beige G3s and had a B&W compatible one in development, but of the ones they sold, there were numerous quality control issues, and well, they're out of business now.

Forum Links
Forum Rules