Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > My new notebook

My new notebook (Page 2)
Stradlater
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2003, 10:32 PM

LOLOL

http://kenikov.blogspot.com/

I've sucesfully avoided IRC for awhile now, and I pick fights at Mac forums to show my hatred towards the 12 and 17 inch Powerbooks .

soul searching
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2003, 10:45 PM

Originally posted by Stradlater:
Wrong, you were also accused of a MacAddict connection that was linked to in which then login name was kenikov. And I thought the website connection was in your profile here (although I did not see it myself), not a link from a tripod guy who's had a page longer than you've been posting here...
Exactly. You don't have it anymore but you did yesterday.

macarita
Forum Regular
Aug 6, 2003, 10:46 PM

LOLOL

http://kenikov.blogspot.com/

methinks someone has entirely too much free time on their hands....

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2003, 10:58 PM

Originally posted by macarita:
methinks someone has entirely too much free time on their hands....
Eh, it's linked on the first part of his web page, and it's the most recent entry. I'm also bored this evening, and busy around the house, on breaks i check the forum.

starman
Clinically Insane
Aug 6, 2003, 11:05 PM

Apparently all his notebook is capable of doing is posting to macnn's forums .

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

macarita
Forum Regular
Aug 6, 2003, 11:13 PM

Eh, it's linked on the first part of his web page, and it's the most recent entry. I'm also bored this evening, and busy around the house, on breaks i check the forum.
dude..i didn't mean YOU... i'm talkin bout mr.kenny that seems to be living for tearing up forums....with most likely all fabricated shite anyway....

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2003, 11:15 PM

Originally posted by macarita:
dude..i didn't mean YOU... i'm talkin bout mr.kenny that seems to be living for tearing up forums....with most likely all fabricated shite anyway....
Ah, no worries

kenikov  (op)
Banned
Aug 7, 2003, 12:39 AM

Yes, I do pick fights with Powerbook 12-inch users who don't know WTF they are talking about.

I would not call them fights but debates. Not once, has a Powerbook user given me one worthy reason on what makes his computer so spectacular.

starman
Clinically Insane
Aug 7, 2003, 12:40 AM

Originally posted by kenikov:
Yes, I do pick fights with Powerbook 12-inch users who don't know WTF they are talking about.

I would not call them fights but debates. Not once, has a Powerbook user given me one worthy reason on what makes his computer so spectacular.
And why are you here again? Babysitter fell asleep?

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

7Macfreak
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 7, 2003, 12:50 AM

that thing is a piece of junk if it doesn't have a slot loading superdrive at that price.

oh, and i agree with...

sniffer
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2003, 12:57 AM

[snap]http://www.dynamism.com/w2/index.shtml [snip]
Looks nice. Great. Probably very useful.

Sniffer gone old-school sig

kenikov  (op)
Banned
Aug 7, 2003, 12:59 AM

And why are you here again? Babysitter fell asleep?
Yes, what a logical and intelligent comment. How long did it take you to write that? My, you are a creative writer! The Nobel Prize for Literature, does not go to you.

that thing is a piece of junk if it doesn't have a slot loading superdrive at that price.
Slot loading? Can you justify the real advantages to having a slot loading drive?

I can name a few disadvantages as you can't load mini-discs, and CDs sometimes get jammed into them.

7Macfreak
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 7, 2003, 01:04 AM

Slot loading? Can you justify the real advantages to having a slot loading drive?

I can name a few disadvantages as you can't load mini-discs, and CDs sometimes get jammed into them.
jammed? like put some jam and try and push it in?

anyway, i dont care about mini-discs, cause my mp3 player is good enough.
as for an advantage of the slot loading drive, you dont need to bother with a 'tray'. makes it alot convenient on: a- an airplane. b- on your lap. c- any other time. also you dont need to bother cleaning your cd before shoving it in. if you actually use a slot loading drive, you won't see the need to ask that question.
don't forget... SuperDrive.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2003, 01:07 AM

convenience?
CDs shouldn't get jammed if you treat your computer well, and name one mini compact disc that's worth inserting into your computer.

kenikov  (op)
Banned
Aug 7, 2003, 01:10 AM

anyway, i dont care about mini-discs, cause my mp3 player is good enough.
Um, yeah...right. I'll just assume you know what a mini-disc is and what they are used for.

as for an advantage of the slot loading drive, you dont need to bother with a 'tray'. makes it alot convenient on: a- an airplane. b- on your lap. c- any other time. also you dont need to bother cleaning your cd before shoving it in.
The one I bought causes none of these problems. It pops-up. Also, you know clearly what I mean by "jammed", and you pointing this out shows your true knowledge, nothing. You don't even know what a mini-disc is.

A CD getting stuck and the reason that it can't read mini-discs is enough to make it less appealing.

if you actually use a slot loading drive, you won't see the need to ask that question.
don't forget... SuperDrive.
If you knew what you were talking about, this would be a more interesting debate. Obviously, you don't.

Superdrive? If that is so important, I can just head to the computer store to buy a nicer, faster external DVD-RW. So, again that point will be disregarded.

kenikov  (op)
Banned
Aug 7, 2003, 01:13 AM

CDs shouldn't get jammed if you treat your computer well, and name one mini compact disc that's worth inserting into your computer.
Like another person posted on these Forums, mini-disc business cards are becoming VERY popular. Informational CD and Games are starting to use them too. Any time one is needed, you can't use it.

Not very convenient.

"cds shouldn't get jammed if you treat your computer well" isn't very good scientific proof that that will keep CDs from being jammed.

Be more specific on that one.

7Macfreak
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 7, 2003, 01:19 AM

you're a friggin idiot

getting an external dvd writer totally defeats the purpose of portability. but i doubt you bought that panasonic because you needed portability. it was probably more the 'cool' factor, no? or because you can place mini discs into it?
besides, the thing that 'pops up' is no better than a tray that 'pops out'.
on mini-discs.. i've never seen a single person do anything useful with a mini disc, and unfortunately i don't live in a cave (which implies>i've met and know a bunch of tech-freaks). i was about to buy a mini disc player but didn't want to deal with a whole new media type. and like i said my ipod can do what a mini disc player can, and more.

also, we have three slot loading powerbooks. in the past 2 years, not a single cd has ever gotten "jammed". perhaps we didn't try enough. hmm i should go buy more jam tomorrow.

nbnz
Senior User
Aug 7, 2003, 01:20 AM

"cds shouldn't get jammed if you treat your computer well" isn't very good scientific proof that that will keep CDs from being jammed.
You want "scientific proof" that CDs shouldn't get jammed?
iMac, Intel Core-Duo 2GHz, 2GB, 250GB, OS X 10.4
PowerBook 12", 867MHz, 640MB, 60GB, OS X 10.4
iMac G3, 333MHz, 288MB, 6GB, OS X 10.3
iPods: 3G iPod, 1G mini, 1G shuffle, 2G nano

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2003, 01:20 AM

Like another person posted on these Forums, mini-disc business cards are becoming VERY popular. Informational CD and Games are starting to use them too. Any time one is needed, you can't use it.

Not very convenient.

Be more specific on that one.
Tray drives can jam as well, it all depends on how well you treat your computer and whether or not it's faulty in the first place. As far as miniature CDs go, I have yet to encounter any outside of a cereal box. I find it funny how you care so much about Powerbooks being bad that you go around complaining about it, so you prefer the other computer, big deal, congratulations, keep it to yourself, nobody cares. It's doubtful that any of your arguments will change anyone's opinion, and it's quite apparent that your opinions are set in stone.

nbnz
Senior User
Aug 7, 2003, 01:23 AM

Originally posted by 7Macfreak:
you're a friggin idiot

on mini-discs.. i've never seen a single person do anything useful with a mini disc, and unfortunately i don't live in a cave (which implies>i've met and know a bunch of tech-freaks). i was about to buy a mini disc player but didn't want to deal with a whole new media type. and like i said my ipod can do what a mini disc player can, and more.
You're right he is a friggen idiot. But I think you're talking about different types of "Mini Discs". You're talking about the Sony Mini Disc, and Kenny (the idiot) is talking about Mini CDs.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2003, 01:25 AM

Originally posted by nbnz:
You're right he is a friggen idiot. But I think you're talking about different types of "Mini Discs". You're talking about the Sony Mini Disc, and Kenny (the idiot) is talking about Mini CDs.
Yeah, which is understandable, miniature CDs aren't called Mini-discs. Minidiscs are a completely different audio format.

7Macfreak
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 7, 2003, 01:26 AM

ooooohhhh yeah! didn't think of those. okay 180 mb of data vs 6gb on a dvd? yeah i'll take my superdrive anyday.

X-Ray
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 7, 2003, 01:38 AM

Could someone tell me why 3" cd's won't work in a slotless Powerbook. I use them all the time in 3 different slotless iMacs. As far as I know you can use any round cd's in a slotless drive - just don't use any non-round ones. By the way the 3" cd's are useful for lots of things - mainly they fit in my shirt pocket and are easy to carry around when I have to transfer files to computers in different locations.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2003, 01:48 AM

Originally posted by X-Ray:
Could someone tell me why 3" cd's won't work in a slotless Powerbook...
Maybe they do. I think it's safe to assume that ol' Kenny here is making an assumption.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 7, 2003, 01:50 AM

Actually I think you're not supposed to use mini-cds in the slotloading iMacs either. They may work, but not consistently.

In any case, mini-cds (not mini-discs) are not exactly high-usage items for most people. I didn't see the advatage of the slot-loading drive until I used one for a while. Loading and unloading discs is considerably faster and you don't need as much space around the computer to use the drive. I'd take slot-loading over a tray any day.

kenikov  (op)
Banned
Aug 7, 2003, 01:53 AM

you're a friggin idiot
Capitalize "you're", and "friggin" isn't even a word. So before you call someone else an idiot, prove that you can judge on that.

I would usually find that offensive, if someone that was actually intelligent told me I was an idiot. In this case, I am not offended since you aren't very intelligent.

You can barely put a sentence together, so I won't even bother comparing SAT scores, GPA or IQ tests in which I know I'll win.

getting an external dvd writer totally defeats the purpose of portability. but i doubt you bought that panasonic because you needed portability
Not really. One should be able to carry it around. After all, the notebooks there are under 3lbs. Ad an external DVD-RW and it might be as heavy as the Powerbook 12-inch.

At the time where one would need to burn a DVD on the go, I wouldn't mind carrying it with me. It would also be faster, so I would save time.

pops up' is no better than a tray that 'pops out'.
Yes it is. The pop-up one would fair better in an airplane seat as or a cramped desk for obvious reasons.

You want "scientific proof" that CDs shouldn't get jammed?
It is a mechanical problem, treating it well or not won't make much of a difference unless you stick a toothpick into the drive.

It's doubtful that any of your arguments will change anyone's opinion
Actually, I've convinced many people out of purchasing it.

I have many friends in Computer Science as well, studying for their PhD. They all agree that the computer isn't that fantastic, or good at all.

You're right he is a friggen idiot.
Listen dumbass, lets compare SAT scores. I scored in the top 5% of my school, which would be one of the best in the state.

How about IQ tests? I scored 140 on one taking at a science centre and 154 on one taken at school.

My GPA is perfect. So there, I am smarter than you.

Simple, I AM SMARTER THAN YOU.

What do you study in University? Do you do research?

Dumbass.

BTW, thanks to X-ray for explaining to these dimwits on what a mini disc is used for.

Was that too hard to understand? Oh wait, most of you didn't even know what a mini-disc was in the first place!

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2003, 02:05 AM

Capitalize "you're", and "friggin" isn't even a word. So before you call someone else an idiot, prove that you can judge on that.

I would usually find that offensive, if someone that was actually intelligent told me I was an idiot. In this case, I am not offended since you aren't very intelligent.

You can barely put a sentence together, so I won't even bother comparing SAT scores, GPA or IQ tests in which I know I'll win.
How about this: You're coming across as a moron. Don't call people on spelling and grammar when it's not obvious. Many people are lazy on the internet (I'm not condoning it, but it doesn't mean that they're stupid). Read your own blog, you make plenty of spelling mistakes...seriously, you have no higher ground in this argument. Oh, and "friggin" is slang for a more derogatory word.
It is a mechanical problem, treating it well or not won't make much of a difference unless you stick a toothpick into the drive.
ALL drives have the potential for problems.
And I bet they're all as "intelligent" as you.
Listen dumbass, lets compare SAT scores. I scored in the top 5% of my school, which would be one of the best in the state.

How about IQ tests? I scored 140 on one taking at a science centre and 154 on one taken at school.

Dumbass.
Where are your SAT scores? From the information you give, though, and I believe that numbers can tell only so much, I am probably smarter than you.
BTW, thanks to X-ray for explaining to these dimwits on what a mini disc is used for.

Was that too hard to understand? Oh wait, most of you didn't even know what a mini-disc was in the first place!
Minidiscs usually refer to the audio format, a miniature floppy-like disc that is played in portable audio players. You're talking about Mini-CDs.

kenikov  (op)
Banned
Aug 7, 2003, 02:10 AM

Read your own blog, you make plenty of spelling mistakes...seriously, you have no higher ground in this argument. Oh, and "friggin" is slang for a more derogatory word.
Not near as many as you. Also, list them all and out of all the words, lets see if it is PLENTY.

7Macfreak
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 7, 2003, 02:19 AM

Not near as many as you. Also, list them all and out of all the words, lets see if it is PLENTY.
"not near as many as you." haha. so Stradlater is a spelling mistake??

oh but he probably didn't mean it that way, he meant something else. geez, can't we be more specific and grammatically perfect, especially when we're nothing but a tool that conducts researches for some university?

7Macfreak
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 7, 2003, 02:23 AM

blah blah yada yada blah blah

Not really. One should be able to carry it around. After all, the notebooks there are under 3lbs. Ad an external DVD-RW and it might be as heavy as the Powerbook 12-inch.

AD? wtf is ad?? do you not know the difference between "ad" and "add"??

see why i called you a FRIGGIN idiot? but you deserve more.. you're a demented idiot that THINKS he is a smartass. perhaps within your household you might be one. but, step out into the world, and there's 10 people smarter than your sorry ass.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2003, 02:24 AM

LOL, ok, please list out mine. I doubt they equal yours, although I wouldn't be surprised if I misstepped here and there when speed is more of an issue than content on a board such as this. The issue is that YOU brought up spelling; I did not, I merely showed that if you have qualms with the spelling you pointed out, then you sure don't subscribe to your own advice. As far as listing your spelling errors, what would the point be? They're there, even one in the quotation I pulled off of your blog.

nbnz
Senior User
Aug 7, 2003, 02:24 AM

Dumbass.
Listen a-hole, you have no idea what my SAT/IQ/GPA blah blah blah is you mofo. I don't give a monkeys arse what you do at university or what you're mummy & daddy pay for you to study. You've proven you're an "idiot" for claiming you are are smarter than everyone without any basis. You're clearly a very smart guy for coming to a Mac forum to tell Mac people they're idiots. How old are you? What real life experience have you got outside of studing from books and relying on mummy & daddy to put you through university.

You don't know what a fn Mini-Disc is pal. Try looking at www.minidisc.org. A Minidisc is not a mini CD, and a mini CD is not a Minidisc.

rampant
Banned
Location: permanent resident of the Land of the Easily Aroused
Aug 7, 2003, 02:25 AM

Originally posted by daimoni:

I guess you're never heard of this new feature in computers. They call it "dual boot".

Yes. You can run Linux and Mac OS X on the same computer.

Uh. Just like you want to run Linux and WinXP on the same computer.

Whoa!
Those are lies perpetuated by Microsoft, Communists, and Jews! LIES LIES LIES.

*plugs ears and rocks slowly back and forth*

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2003, 02:28 AM

Seriously kenikov, you have an awfully big mouth for such an ignorant little boy. If you wanted to play the "smart" card and convince everyone else that they are stupid, you should have tried harder in the first place (not to come across as an idiot, that is).

soul searching
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2003, 02:40 AM

I think he meant you won't convince anyone here.

I don't understand why you started pulling out IQ test scores and SAT percentiles. I don't think it accomplishes anything or helps your arguments at all.

"Wear your learning, like your watch,
in a private pocket, and do not pull it out
and strike it merely to show you have one.
If you are asked what o'clock it is, tell it,
but do not proclaim it hourly and unasked,
like the watchman."
-Lord Chesterfield

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2003, 02:45 AM

Originally posted by soul searching:
I think he meant you won't convince anyone here.

I don't understand why you started pulling out IQ test scores and SAT percentiles. I don't think it accomplishes anything or helps your arguments at all.

"Wear your learning, like your watch,
in a private pocket, and do not pull it out
and strike it merely to show you have one.
If you are asked what o'clock it is, tell it,
but do not proclaim it hourly and unasked,
like the watchman."
-Lord Chesterfield
Yes, that's indeed what I meant. And I agree, it's guaranteed that some people here have higher scores than you, but most people have the class not to fall back on numbers. Numbers mean only so much. And GPA means nothing, especially since it's much harder to maintain a perfect GPA in some schools and some classes than others. So did you really join the community only to start fights?

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 7, 2003, 02:47 AM

you guys aren't seeing the big picture, that Panasonic can access the internet wirelessly, that right there is a friggin break through, just think i could be sitting on the craper and posting, i think this will revolutionize the laptop world, those Intel guys are always innovating.

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

X-Ray
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 7, 2003, 02:49 AM

Regarding using 3" (80mm) disks in slot loading Macs:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=58641
It's perfectly all right to use them.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2003, 02:52 AM

There you go, Kenny. Your point is moot.

7Macfreak
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 7, 2003, 02:54 AM

There you go, Kenny. Your point is moot.
you mean.. there you go, Kenny is moot.

nbnz
Senior User
Aug 7, 2003, 03:00 AM

Hate to break it to yah (I'm on your side), but this note was at the bottom of the page.

"2. The PowerBook G4 (Gigabit Ethernet), PowerBook G4 (DVI), PowerBook G4 (1GHz/867MHz), PowerBook G4 (12-inch) and PowerBook G4 (17-inch) computers will not accept an 80 mm round disc."

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 7, 2003, 03:00 AM

wirelessly people. just think no more wires!!!

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

7Macfreak
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 7, 2003, 03:04 AM

Originally posted by G4ME:
people with high IQs don't care about wireless internet!

soul searching
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2003, 03:05 AM

Originally posted by G4ME:
Hehe. You should pitch this idea to Apple.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2003, 03:06 AM

Hate to break it to yah (I'm on your side), but this note was at the bottom of the page.
Ah, nice catch. Still not a big deal; personally I don't think 80mm discs are used very often at all. And "business cards"? Who's giving Kenny their business cards?

AlbertWu
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2003, 03:18 AM

haha. i've been waiting for a chance to use this.

Ad Astra Per Aspera - Semper Exploro

nbnz
Senior User
Aug 7, 2003, 03:22 AM

Originally posted by AlbertWu:
haha. i've been waiting for a chance to use this.

ha ha ha ha

Ken Masters
Banned
Aug 7, 2003, 03:28 AM

this is better than day's of our live (or something like that)

Kenny the more you post, the worse it is.......

hehehehe.....
( Last edited by Ken Masters; Aug 7, 2003 at 03:38 AM. )

Ken Masters
Banned
Aug 7, 2003, 03:29 AM

Oh... yeah...

I definitely have a HIGHER IQ than yours, (that may not be true when it comes to everyone else) but definatly yours KENNY....

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2003, 03:35 AM

kenikov, i would just like to say

THANKS!

...for entertaining us all today!

Forum Links
Forum Rules