Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Meditation: Can an experienced person help me?

Meditation: Can an experienced person help me?
itistoday
Professional Poster
Aug 9, 2003, 12:41 AM

I've recently decided to change my character through meditation. I've decided on a technique that goes like so:
1. I half-lie, half-sit on my bed with my back on a pillow (which is against the wall vertically), and my head looking forward.
2. Then I close my eyes, and try to concentrate on my breathing and "accepting" any random thoughts (then quickly getting back on track to concentrating on breathing).
3. This takes a long time, finally most thoughts fade away, and it becomes easier to concentrate on breathing.

Following this technique I once managed to reach some sort of plateau were my mind was in a perfect state of clearness, and for some reason I could imagine my room around me in perfect clarity. The turmoil of my mind seemed to stop for that moment. I stayed like this for what was probably a long time (this was on my 4th attempt at meditating, I think). I have been regularly meditating for 3 days I think.

But today I've tried twice, and both attempts were unsuccessful at reaching the said state of clarity. I did reach a certain amount of peace, but not exactly the same thing. And I'm sure that the rabbit hole goes even deeper than what I've been able to achieve.

Anyhow, is there anyone here who's been meditating for a while now and could help me in achieving these perfect states? Am I doing everything right?

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 9, 2003, 12:50 AM

Originally posted by itistoday:
I've recently decided to change my character through meditation.
What's wrong with your character?

itistoday  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 9, 2003, 12:53 AM

Originally posted by Face Ache:
What's wrong with your character?
I don't like it.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 9, 2003, 12:56 AM

I don't like it.
I like you fine. You're the only itistoday I know.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Aug 9, 2003, 01:00 AM

I usually go out and get smashed...

My "words of wisdom" are, If you don't like who you are... MOVE and start over. Leave all of your friends behind, your old girlfriend... everything... perhaps even belongings...

I'm a list person... setting daily, monthly and yearly goals. Make everything a goal if you are real bad off (I'm going to be on time at work, I'm going to do my laundry every tuesday...

Set routines... it's human nature to have create patterns...

Good luck...

7Macfreak
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 9, 2003, 01:00 AM

if you're meditating to change your character, i don't see how it's gonna help.
but anyway, on meditation check this and/or this out.

7Macfreak
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 9, 2003, 01:01 AM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
I usually go out and get smashed...

My "words of wisdom" are, If you don't like who you are... MOVE and start over. Leave all of your friends behind, your old girlfriend... everything... perhaps even belongings...

*snip*
...yes, and get diagnosed with M.P.D.

itistoday  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 9, 2003, 01:11 AM

I like you fine. You're the only itistoday I know.
Well thank you, I guess...

itistoday  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 9, 2003, 01:13 AM

Originally posted by 7Macfreak:
if you're meditating to change your character, i don't see how it's gonna help.
but anyway, on meditation check this and/or this out.
I'll look into the links. Meditation is going to help me because it calms my ADHD self down. It's been working a little so far, I just want MORE!

Call goes out again to any meditation guru's in here (though for some odd reason I seriously doubt asking in a Mac Geek forum is gonna turn anything up...)

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 9, 2003, 01:16 AM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
I did that. It really makes you realise how much you are a product of your environment. Change the environment and you learn things about yourself you never knew (if you have an open mind of course, otherwise you can develop a siege mentality).

7Macfreak
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 9, 2003, 01:26 AM

I did that. It really makes you realise how much you are a product of your environment. Change the environment and you learn things about yourself you never knew (if you have an open mind of course, otherwise you can develop a siege mentality).
um.. i think that only speaks about the type of person YOU are. i don't think everyone is a 'product of their environment'. personally, i DEFINITELY am not a product of my environment. i don't go changing my beliefs and principles depending on what the norms of society are. cultural relativism /= open mindedness.
but anyway..

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Aug 9, 2003, 01:40 AM

Hmmm... Not easy to put in less than 50,000 words. But here's a snippet...

1. I half-lie, half-sit on my bed with my back on a pillow (which is against the wall vertically), and my head looking forward.
This is no good. You want as close to the lotus position as you can get - but without the leg problems. Back up against the wall - No slouching!

Try Sherwie's meditation 101:

Don't concentrate on your breathing - that's boring. Get yourself into a relaxed state, close your eyes. We need something to work on (trying to focus your mind on one thing is much easier than trying to empty your mind). Try to imagine your room (or a completely new room) in the best detail you can. This will take time - the idea is to construct an imaginary room that's as real to your mind as the one you're actually sitting in.

Once you have a room of some detail, it's time to have fun and use your imagination... Pick up the TV remote control in your imaginary room. Make it do funky things (like press "1" to change the style of fireplace, "2" to change the wallpaper, "3" to turn the whole room upside down, etc).

If you're doing it properly, this'll take you a couple of years to perfect. Once you can put yourself into your imaginary room quickly, your mind will be sorted for more advanced stuff.

Warning: This is extremely powerful training (even though it seems like nothing).

Bolster the training while you're about your daily business. Pick a common word each day and tell yourself you're not going to say or think it. If you fail, acknowledge your failure and try again.

Oh... And if you're real serious you'll be wanting to give up eating meat and fish. After a couple of months on no meat/fish you'll notice marked improvement in your meditations. (this is not an invite for carnivores/omnivores to start flaming!)

HTH
( Last edited by Sherwin; Aug 9, 2003 at 07:38 AM. )

version
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2003, 04:45 AM

There's a great book called 'The Meditator's Handbook' by David Fontana. It's a real gem of a book, and after years of reading so many things from articles, to boks, to going to lectures, this really seemed to be one reference that I'd go back to.
A Jew with a view.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 9, 2003, 06:50 AM

Try picking up a bible and reading a bit. Personally I like to meditate on a concept and simply think about that for like at least an hour straight... I know it may sound different but it really helps... actually I'm awake in the morning... should do that now hahaha.

version
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2003, 07:35 AM

Originally posted by Superchic[k]en:
Try picking up a bible and reading a bit. Personally I like to meditate on a concept and simply think about that for like at least an hour straight... I know it may sound different but it really helps... actually I'm awake in the morning... should do that now hahaha.
That might be a little too much at the beginning, I'd ty to focus the mind on single stimuli, such as an object, or shape.
A Jew with a view.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 9, 2003, 07:40 AM

hmmm sadly I'm an ADD case so I rarely ever get to a state of really getting a personal revelation about something... generally I just start thinking about an Apple branded PDA, or the fact that there havn't been any local concerts in a while, or I get a song stuck in my head... or start yelling at people I don't like in my head... it's very irritating.

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Aug 9, 2003, 07:42 AM

Thinking about a concept isn't meditation - it's normal thinking.
The subject is too wide for the person to gain any benefit from something like this (other than the wisdom contained in said book, that is). The idea is to remove normal thought processes, not exercise them!

version
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2003, 07:44 AM

itistoday, pm me and I can send you a few articles, and pointers if you'd like.
A Jew with a view.

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Aug 9, 2003, 07:44 AM

hmmm sadly I'm an ADD case so I rarely ever get to a state of really getting a personal revelation about something... generally I just start thinking about an Apple branded PDA, or the fact that there havn't been any local concerts in a while, or I get a song stuck in my head... or start yelling at people I don't like in my head... it's very irritating.
How on Earth do you manage to pray properly then?

version
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2003, 07:51 AM

You're in the wrong religion, and I'm being honest here. I think you might have some issues, and dilemmas that makes you seek out some sort of resolution, hence the move toward sChristianity. It's quiet normal, but have you ever thought about Buddhism, if you;re looking for a structured belief system. I'd say maybe try to go down the path of self-reflection, adn mediation, can't hurt.
A Jew with a view.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 9, 2003, 07:57 AM

haha no no no trust me, looked into budism, half the philosophies, no offence just sound incredibly selfish. It's like soo self focused and yeah, I'm really not a selfish person. Actually as a Christian I even have trouble admiting the worth of God's work in my life and seperating that from my obvious flaws.
You don't pick Christianity to suit you. You pick Christianity becuase you've been 100% convinced that your own works are nothing, and will ultimately give you no fulfilment.

Anyway it's hard to explain. But if I didn't have a desire to serve God with everything in me I would have simply drank some Javex long ago

version
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2003, 08:01 AM

Anyway it's hard to explain. But if I didn't have a desire to serve God with everything in me I would have simply drank some Javex long ago
Lol, ok, I've been there myself too, not a good place. So long as you feel harmony inside, and a sense of peace, then I can't argue with that. That's all you can really ask for.
A Jew with a view.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 9, 2003, 08:05 AM

Originally posted by version:
Lol, ok, I've been there myself too, not a good place. So long as you feel harmony inside, and a sense of peace, then I can't argue with that. That's all you can really ask for.
Pretty much, yeah, it's actually kinda interesting, dispite the fact that I wouldn't wish those kinds of feelings on my worst enemy, I can honestly say if I could just forget the stuff I don't think I would. Because of it I have actually been able to talk a lot of people out of situations that were similar, although generally not as bad. Actually a friend a while ago tried to OD on stuff, and I can honestly say I would not have been able to talk them into throwing up if I didn't know the exact same feelings they had... odd eh...

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 9, 2003, 08:38 AM

Originally posted by 7Macfreak:
um.. i think that only speaks about the type of person YOU are. i don't think everyone is a 'product of their environment'. personally, i DEFINITELY am not a product of my environment. i don't go changing my beliefs and principles depending on what the norms of society are. cultural relativism /= open mindedness.
but anyway..
Fair enough. I was stuck in a rut and hanging with the wrong crowd. I moved from the slum area I grew up in to one of the yuppiest suburbs in Australia, where my slight English accent was mistaken for a good education. The first time a surgeon invited me to a soir�e at his house I thought he wanted me there as a waiter. I started thinking I could actually be a part of society.

I was wrong of course, but...

version
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2003, 08:48 AM

Pretty much, yeah, it's actually kinda interesting, dispite the fact that I wouldn't wish those kinds of feelings on my worst enemy, I can honestly say if I could just forget the stuff I don't think I would. Because of it I have actually been able to talk a lot of people out of situations that were similar, although generally not as bad. Actually a friend a while ago tried to OD on stuff, and I can honestly say I would not have been able to talk them into throwing up if I didn't know the exact same feelings they had... odd eh...
At least you made a difference, and that is a strength you should play on, and it sounds like you are. All thosee experiences will add to you, and that's what peopel will see.
A Jew with a view.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 9, 2003, 09:01 AM

Actually a friend a while ago tried to OD on stuff, and I can honestly say I would not have been able to talk them into throwing up if I didn't know the exact same feelings they had... odd eh...
All my friends who attempt suicide succeed. Does your friend need pointers?

Forum Links
Forum Rules