Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Safari issues...

Safari issues...
Kfunk
Jan 15, 2004, 08:58 PM

Hi,
For some reason, Safari has started "unexpectedly quiting" on me. It usually happens when I try to download something. I'm on a G4 PowerBook and I'm running OSX 10.2.8. Any help is appreciated and sorry if this has just been discussed.

Thanks,
Kevin
( Last edited by Kfunk; Jan 15, 2004 at 09:07 PM. )

Minty Fresh
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 15, 2004, 09:56 PM

I'm running 10.2.8, and Safari...and it's fine, never had that problem. Might I suggest going into Disk Utility and running Repair Disk Permissions on your HDD. See if that helps at all...

Kfunk  (op)
Jan 16, 2004, 12:50 AM

I've tried that and it still happens. I'll try it again, though. I've used Safari for a while and it's never given me any problems. Thanks for replying.

Kevin

M.A.S.
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 16, 2004, 10:20 AM

sounds like it could be a pref problem, try deleting the safari pref out of your user/library folder.

Phat Bastard
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 16, 2004, 02:21 PM

Safari crashes randomly for me. Whether I'm downloading something or not. Then again, things crash for me all the time ever since I upgraded to Panther (Poisoned and Safari are by far the most common crashing apps).
The world needs more Canada.
PB 12" 867 MHz, 640 MB RAM, AE, OS 10.4.2
Black iPod nano 4GB

xylon
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 16, 2004, 02:39 PM

I've actually been experiencing the exact same problem with Safari. I have been a long time user of Safari, but as of not too long ago, the thing just quits. The weirdest aspect is that it's inconsistent in that it may never crash for the time I'm using it. But, once it does crash, the application loses its stability and will continuously crash until I reboot. I've done the standard checks, including Permissions and Preferences as well as fscking. Still no luck.

^Thanks to sealobo
Viva le ScrollWheel!

rjt1000
Senior User
Jan 16, 2004, 04:13 PM

Hi,

I had a similar problem with Safari unexpectingly quitting. It turned out to be a defective quicktime plugin prefs file. Try removing com.apple.quicktime.plugin.preferences.plist from the library preferences folder. Then restart.

Hope that helps.

Best wishes,

Rich (Pismo G3 500)

Jbroad572
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 17, 2004, 02:58 AM

I had that same problem, I loved Safari, it started doing that and it would not load up my webpages. It would take an abnormally long time and would sometimes just sit there while loading, while other browsers being it up in a snap. I've been using Netscape for the past month or 2 and it suits my needs, I'd rather be using Safari though.
17" Apple Powerbook 1.33ghz

Kfunk  (op)
Jan 17, 2004, 10:24 AM

Originally posted by rjt1000:
Hi,

I had a similar problem with Safari unexpectingly quitting. It turned out to be a defective quicktime plugin prefs file. Try removing com.apple.quicktime.plugin.preferences.plist from the library preferences folder. Then restart.

Hope that helps.

Best wishes,

Rich (Pismo G3 500)

I did this yesterday and so far, it works. Thanks, Rich. I removed the com.apple.etc file from my library preference folder but now it's on my desktop. Do I need to keep this file somewhere else or should I delete it? Thanks again.

Kevin

rjt1000
Senior User
Jan 17, 2004, 05:24 PM

Hi,

Glad it worked for you. You should be able to delete the old defective pref file from the desktop. The O.S. (or perhaps Quicktime) should create a new (working) prefs file for you and put it in the right place.

Best wishes,

Rich (Pismo G3 500)

Hamburglar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 19, 2004, 12:02 PM

I know this thread is kinda OT, but I have a 15"er, and while I haven't been experiencing this problem w/ Safari, I notice that some pages load very strangely. Actually, the primary place I see it is on Macnn. I'll open a page and basically it looks like everything has loaded except for one "file" (it says 4 of 5 in the status bar). But it will sit like this for more than a minute or so, until I hit Apple-. to stop it, and then the whole page is there. I've tried deleting the prefs file and the cache, as well as a restart without any success. (I'm running 802.11g, and things are otherwise very fast)

Just wondering if anyone has any advice.

Thanks,
- burglar.

Forum Links
Forum Rules