Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > spanning ibook

spanning ibook
horrorbiz
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 5, 2004, 04:05 AM

I heard there was a way to use dual displays on an ibook. Spanning (one large desktop) as opposed to just mirroring. Does anyone know how this is done?

INcase it is important: I have the ibook g3 800

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Jan 5, 2004, 04:09 AM

horrorbiz  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 6, 2004, 02:17 AM

Thanks.. it worked great.

horrorbiz  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 16, 2004, 03:26 AM

Has anyone had any problems spanning with this hack? Last night my lcd started flickering and it froze. I restarted it and just got the startup chime followed by a black screen. I noticed that my a/c adapter was not powering the ibook. I fixed that and started it up and things seemed fine. However this morning the screen flickered and went all crazy again, I restarted a few times and it is working now. I am not running the extra monitor incase that was the issue. Any information would be very helpful. I just sold my desktop and I am a design student so having a working mac is vital.

OreoCookie
Jan 16, 2004, 04:37 AM

Originally posted by horrorbiz:
Has anyone had any problems spanning with this hack? Last night my lcd started flickering and it froze. I restarted it and just got the startup chime followed by a black screen. I noticed that my a/c adapter was not powering the ibook. I fixed that and started it up and things seemed fine. However this morning the screen flickered and went all crazy again, I restarted a few times and it is working now. I am not running the extra monitor incase that was the issue. Any information would be very helpful. I just sold my desktop and I am a design student so having a working mac is vital.
Once, my iBook thought, it had only 8 Megs of Video RAM installed instead of its 32 when connected to the beamer. A restart solved the problem. This occurred just once, other than that, no problems at all. Works beautifully.

Be careful, this works just on newer models (32 MB Video RAM, I think), it could seriously damage older machines!
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

HippyShoes
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 16, 2004, 03:31 PM

I'm sorry to say that sounds like the infamous ibook logic board problem. My screen flickered like that before it eventually died with logic board failure.

I dont think applying the hack would cause the logic board to fail (I also applied the hack), but I did read one theory that although the ibooks graphics card can handle dual screens the logic board cannot and eventually fries under the pressure .. ??

HS

Originally posted by horrorbiz:

BigDaddy
Forum Regular
Jan 17, 2004, 01:23 AM

I have the hack without any problems.

Forum Links
Forum Rules