Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 12" PB rev A owners: what external LCD do you use?

12" PB rev A owners: what external LCD do you use?
voyageur
Mac Elite
Mar 29, 2004, 02:35 PM

I'm looking to get an external LCD monitor for the original 12" Powerbook. So I was wondering what LCD VGA monitors people are using and how you like them.

Biggysteve
Forum Regular
Mar 29, 2004, 02:43 PM

Originally posted by voyageur:
I'm looking to get an external LCD monitor for the original 12" Powerbook. So I was wondering what LCD VGA monitors people are using and how you like them.
I'm using a Samsung SyncMaster 172B I got off eBay for around $350 last year. Solid monitor, but if I had found as good of a deal on a 172T, I would have opted for that instead.

voyageur  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 29, 2004, 05:54 PM

Thanks. I've heard good things about the Samsung 172T, and was thinking of getting this one. Is this the largest monitor the 12" rev A can drive, do you know?
I've read that wide-screen is a bad idea with the 12", but I'm wondering how large I can go with a conventionally sized LCD.

Biggysteve
Forum Regular
Mar 29, 2004, 06:05 PM

Thanks. I've heard good things about the Samsung 172T, and was thinking of getting this one. Is this the largest monitor the 12" rev A can drive, do you know?
I've read that wide-screen is a bad idea with the 12", but I'm wondering how large I can go with a conventionally sized LCD.
The largest I've seen is a 21" from Samsung with dual DVI/VGA inputs and a 1600x1200 resolution - the highest amount of pixels a Rev. A 12 inchers support.

Macola
Mac Elite
Mar 29, 2004, 06:07 PM

I've been using a Viewsonic VX900 19" (DVI and VGA inputs) for almost a year with my rev A 12" PB and have been very happy with it.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

MacApple
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 30, 2004, 01:15 AM

At work I use a NEC 1760V with my rev. a 12" PB and I am very happy with it. I think also the price was quite okay. In the office we have also a NEC 1760NX which has an additional DVI input. Otherwise it is the same as the 1760V. I will soon buy the same one for private purposes.

Dr.Michael
Mar 30, 2004, 03:34 AM

I used a 20 inch cinema display.
It enhanced the temperature of my Powerbook so that the fan started even at low cpu tasks. This was of course caused by enhanced gpu load due to the many pixels of the cinema display.

I tried to improve airflow around the case but with no good result. To be fair: I posted this behaviour and only few people had the same problem. But some had.

Keep this in mind before you spent hundreds on a big luxerious display. Especially if you use the first gen of the Al12 that gets hotter than my 2nd gen.

I finally gave back the cinema display and am happily using the Powerbook without external screen (only thinking about an iCurve).
( Last edited by Dr.Michael; Mar 30, 2004 at 04:40 AM. )

voyageur  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 30, 2004, 01:54 PM

Thanks very much for all the suggestions. I hadn't heard of the heat-generating problem with large displays and will keep it in mind!

Forum Links
Forum Rules