Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > PCMCIA cards for Powerbook users

PCMCIA cards for Powerbook users
Snake
Aug 10, 2004, 02:04 PM

Does anyone here use a PCMCIA card regularly for their Powerbook. My PB has just about every port imaginable, the only use for the PC card that I can personally think of is a flash card reader. It isn't a necessity at all, because my Canon is compatible with iPhoto.

Anyone care to share the types of PCMCIA (type I and II) cards they use with their PBs?
15" 1.33ghz Al Powerbook w/1GB RAM, 64mb ATI VRAM
60GB 7200rpm Hitachi Travelstar 7K60 HD
20GB 4G iPod w/click wheel

Voch
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2004, 02:10 PM

I use a Compact Flash to PC Card adapter to read the pictures off of my digital camera. It's not something I couldn't accomplish with a USB-to-camera cable, though (I'm considering a 12" PowerBook or an iBook as my next purchase so it's not an issue).

Voch

quietjim
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 10, 2004, 03:43 PM

I use a reader for the Sony smart card for my digital camera. As a previous poster said, I could use a usb cable. But I love the convenience of having being always able to transfer the pictures. It means one less thing to remember to carry. Also, I've occasionally used it to transfer small files.
Timex Sinclair . IIe > SE > 6100 >
520c > Pismo > PB 15.2 > MacBook Pro 15.2 2.5 GHz

qualey2
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 10, 2004, 03:47 PM

I use my slot for my wireless card (of course when it works I do)

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 11, 2004, 01:39 AM

I use a PMCIA card for USB2.0 for my Titanium 1 GHz - there are some times that I need to have USB2, e.g. for copying files from an external hard drive that doesn't have FireWire.

Even though the card manufacturer lists only Windoze compatibility, it works right-out-of-the-box in OS X 10.3.5 without a hitch.

iBorg

escher
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 11, 2004, 09:39 AM

Anybody use data acquisition cards, like those from National Instruments, in their PowerBooks? Their LabVIEW software has been OS X native for at least a year now.

As noted above, wireless data cards are one area where there is no USB/FireWire substitute.

Also, remember that the USB cables on most digital cameras are USB 1.1, which is painfully slow. Therefore, an external card reader (FireWire or USB 2) or a high-speed PC Card reader (32 bit? Or was it 16 bit?).

BTW: PCMCIA cards are no longer made and have been superceded by the "PC Card" standard.

Escher
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.

M.A.S.
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 11, 2004, 10:31 AM

I use mine for a 4 in 1 card reader for my digital camera.

Like someone said before it's very convenient, you don't need to bring a cable with you, or if a friend has some pic's on a card but no cable. But better than that it's so much faster than USB 1.1. Even though i've got a Kodak Easyshare LS443 camera, complete with dock, and one-touch picture transfer button on the dock i never use it anymore! the PC card is just so much faster!

Also it lets you use the memory card as a removable drive, whereas using a USB cable is just transfer pic's, the PC card lets you use the memory card as a removable drive.
� 17" PowerBook �

SoBayJake
Forum Regular
Aug 11, 2004, 11:15 AM

I use it for a media reader for my digital camera, sometimes.
The camera itself is USB 2.0, but the card is so much easier.

One issue tho. I have a Sony camera, which supports MemoryStick Pro. Most of my sticks are just regular, but I have one 256 MB stick. Can anyone get a card reader that supports MemorySticks to read these? It looks like all the ones I have seen only read the regular version. So I need the cable to read this ONE stick.
Too many Apple/Mac products to even bother listing!

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Aug 11, 2004, 11:50 AM

There are numerous Memory Stick Pro readers out there. SanDisk makes a few.

tooki

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2004, 11:53 AM

Are there any Mac-compatible Bluetooth PC Cards out there (without an antenna sticking out!!) ? I would like something like that because the Bluetooth USB dongle is quite annoying from time to time.

mike one
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 11, 2004, 06:50 PM

what about video cards? i'd love to have a second external display.

Daniel_R
Aug 12, 2004, 03:05 AM

Originally posted by mike one:
what about video cards? i'd love to have a second external display.
Not the most powerful video card ever designed, but: Village Tronic PC Card video with DVI out
-- iBook Dual USB 600MHz/384MB/20G/DVD-CDRW
-- PowerBook G4 15" 1.25GHz/1GB/80GB/DVD-R
-- PowerMac 9600/300 300MHz/96MB/2+3+4GB/CD/ OS X 10.1.5, 9.2.1
-- iPod 15GB, 3rd Generation

shatten22
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 14, 2004, 02:29 PM

What I really want is a video-in PC CARD that works under OSX. Then I can play my xbox or gamecube games on my Alubook's display...

-g

Forum Links
Forum Rules