Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > NO DSL ON MAC OS X??

NO DSL ON MAC OS X??
ibr80
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 24, 2001, 06:06 PM

I have an iBook SE and I have just installed Mac OS X and I cant seem to connect to the net with my Earthlink/Mindspring DSL, If anyone knows how you can do so please enlighten me.

Belle
Forum Regular
Mar 24, 2001, 06:14 PM

DSL seems to work just fine for me. There's some stuff in the "Read Before You Install" manual.
Setting up to use PPPoE with DSL

This release of Mac OS X provides support for connecting to the Internet using PPPoE with a Digital Subscriber Line (DSL). The instructions you receive from your DSL provider may tell you to enter a number in the Domain Name Servers (DNS) box of the software they provide for Mac OS 9. This information may not be correct for Mac OS X. If you enter this information in the Domain Name Servers box of the TCP/IP pane of Network preferences and you have trouble connecting to the Internet, try removing this number.

If you continue to be unable to connect to the Internet using PPPoE with your DSL service, contact your service provider.

SubGenius
Mar 24, 2001, 06:15 PM

OS X
Just installed it.
Working good, no problems.
Window redraws............Good, not as fast as OS9.....YET
System recognized my Printer, second monitor, Que Firewire CD/RW
and the Sonnet ULTRA ATA66 PCI with two more Master drives on it.
System setup recognized and configured itself for my DSL service.
I had to enter more info to get my E-mail working, and that was EASY too!!!!!

G4 400Mhz
768 megs of Ram
Two Monitors, 19" and 17"
Ultra ATA66 PCI card.
100 Gigs of Hard drive.
Epson 860 USB Printer

OS X works great with my Pacbell DSL. Configured to my Netgear Gateway Router using BootP. I just had to enter a couple of DNS settings.
One note, I have a staic IP

edhawke
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 24, 2001, 06:29 PM

I have Mindspring/Earthlink DSL also. I had trouble at first getting it set up, but now I've got it working. Here is what I have in my settings.

Under the PPPoE setup I have my name and password.
Under the TCP/IP setup I have earthlink.net in the search domains and I have selected configure "Using PPP".

At first this did not work, so I tried entering the IP and Router address manually. When I switched back to "Using PPP" it started to work. Go figure. Good luck!

ed

schwei
Mar 25, 2001, 01:01 PM

���One problem with PPPoE DSL and Classic!!���

I invoked Classic (by accident) while connected via PPPoE under 10.0 and it ��resets the mdev selection�� on whatever System Folder it's using for Classic Env. (to provide transparency) [result on rebooting into that 9.1 folder: "EnterNet is not available"]

So better to do a *clean install* of 9.1.

**Don't use your current (working) 9.1 System Folder for Classic, especially if it's got a lot of enhancements**. It may cause (the proverbial) "unexpected results".
Mac evangelist since 1986

toad738
Mar 26, 2001, 05:14 AM

I have Pacbell DSL and your supposed to use there EnterNet 300 App to connect to them, it doesnt work in X because it adds the Connect Via EnterNet option in the TCP/IP control panel in OS9 and it doesnt in X so I need a App that can connect to them but is X native. Any answers? and if This made no sense please tell me I will try and clarify
Toad
AKA: Toad Demon, XXTOADSTERXX, Toady, Toad738

johnnylundy
Forum Regular
Mar 26, 2001, 05:29 AM

Originally posted by toad738:
I have Pacbell DSL and your supposed to use there EnterNet 300 App to connect to them, it doesnt work in X because it adds the Connect Via EnterNet option in the TCP/IP control panel in OS9 and it doesnt in X so I need a App that can connect to them but is X native. Any answers? and if This made no sense please tell me I will try and clarify
Makes sense - I understand. The answer is that OS X has its own PPPoE - you don't need Enternet. Just go into the System Preferences; choose Network; choose Built-In Ethernet; Choose PPPoE; Check box; Enter your [email protected] and your password in last 2 boxes, leave first 2 blank. Under the other tab, TCP, enter use DHCP. Enter the DNS numbers from the previous TCP/IP panel. Should work.

[This message has been edited by johnnylundy (edited 03-26-2001).]
>>Johnny

Forum Links
Forum Rules