Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > PrintFu Challange -

PrintFu Challange -
BrandonCorbin
Forum Regular
Mar 14, 2005, 10:56 AM

Hello again cohorts. I have a challenge that can reap impressive rewards for any developer that can take the following code and turn it in to an installable application. All that really needs to happen is have this script put in to ~/Library/PDF Services PDF SERVICES

This thread
covers the discussion of writing a PDF Service (the answer is at the bottom), and automatically taking the results and sending it to PrintFu. Learn more about the PrintFu Make-A-Buck Foundation

PrintFu is a service that takes large documents - prints, binds and ships a printed book. So this service allows a user to print directly to PrintFu from your Print Dialog box.Also covered in this MacOsXHints story.

Who ever builds an application using this ground work, will be able to insert their email in the request call, and will receive a dollar for each order, paid monthly via PayPals mass pay.

Code:
on open these_items tell me to activate set question to "Ready to send this file to PrintFu?" display dialog question buttons {"Yes", "Cancel"} default button 1 set userChoice to button returned of result if userChoice is not "Cancel" then repeat with aFile in these_items set pdfLocation to POSIX path of aFile set thisurl to do shell script � "curl -F \"fileUpload=@" & pdfLocation � & "\" -F \"mcAction=processRemoteFileUpload\" http://www.printfu.org/index.cfm" open location thisurl end repeat end if end open
Note: the CURL do shell script has to be on the same line, it can not be on seperate lines.

Anyone up to it?
( Last edited by BrandonCorbin; Mar 14, 2005 at 02:20 PM. )

MikeJS
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 14, 2005, 08:47 PM

Is something like this what you're looking for?

BrandonCorbin  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 15, 2005, 08:14 AM

Thats it almost to a tee... I would suggest the following:

Replace YOUR EMAIL HERE with your email, that way we know to pay you when orders come in from your script.

I also added a snippet about "Your upload time..."

Then you might want to have a readme or something happen so people know what to expect after they install it.

Code:
on open these_items tell me to activate set question to "Ready to send this file to PrintFu? Your upload time will depend on how large your document is." display dialog question buttons {"Yes", "Cancel"} default button 1 set userChoice to button returned of result if userChoice is not "Cancel" then repeat with aFile in these_items set pdfLocation to POSIX path of aFile set thisurl to do shell script "curl -F \"fileUpload=@" & pdfLocation & "\" -F \"mcAction=processRemoteFileUpload\" -F \"pppemail=YOUREMAILHERE\" http://www.printfu.org/index.cfm" open location thisurl end repeat end if end open

Devin Lane
Forum Regular
Mar 16, 2005, 11:20 AM

This thread gets the award for "widest post evar!" It scrolls horizontally in a 1600px wide window!
-- Devin Lane, Cocoa Programmer

BrandonCorbin  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 16, 2005, 01:09 PM

Originally posted by Devin Lane:
This thread gets the award for "widest post evar!" It scrolls horizontally in a 1600px wide window!
I would like to thank the Academy and especially my parents.

MikeJS
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 16, 2005, 07:17 PM

I've updated it with a small readme and the new script (here). Feel free to do whatever you want with it, and if you need anything else you can email me at michaeljs at gmail.com.

geran
Forum Regular
Mar 19, 2005, 11:04 AM

anyone knows if there is something simular in europe (EU)?

BrandonCorbin  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 19, 2005, 01:46 PM

Originally posted by geran:
anyone knows if there is something simular in europe (EU)?
Actually I have 2 printing companies that I am working with in (one in Scandinavia and the other somewhere in europe) that I hope to have up and running before to long... Now as far as price is concerned, it might be a little more expensive.

Talk to you soon
Brandon

geran
Forum Regular
Mar 19, 2005, 02:17 PM

Scandinavia sounds good, I live in Sweden =)

Devin Lane
Forum Regular
Mar 20, 2005, 02:19 PM

I'm a tad confused. Brandon, is PrintFu your company? I couldn't find anything on the site or blog that said anything about the developers.

If so, that's a really cool idea! I might find myself using that in the near future, when I have large documents to print out.
-- Devin Lane, Cocoa Programmer

BrandonCorbin  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 20, 2005, 05:43 PM

'Tis

Originally posted by Devin Lane:
I'm a tad confused. Brandon, is PrintFu your company? I couldn't find anything on the site or blog that said anything about the developers.

If so, that's a really cool idea! I might find myself using that in the near future, when I have large documents to print out.

Forum Links
Forum Rules