Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Getting a Dell Monitor

Getting a Dell Monitor
selowitch
Mac Elite
May 20, 2005, 01:42 PM

I should be getting my Dell Ultrasharp 1905FP 19" flat-panel early next week. I'm excited about it in part because it has both VGA and DVI inputs (my two Macs are both VGA-only, an old tower and an iBook) and because the display is rotatable portrait/landscape and apparently this works under Tiger.

Best of all, with a coupon, a got it for $365 with two-day shipping and tax included!

Brigrat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 20, 2005, 02:18 PM

My 2005 is on the truck for delivery as we speak. I should have it up and runnigt on my PB 12" by tonight!
12" PowerBook G4 1.33, 1.2GB Ram, 80GB 5400 RPM Hard Drive powering a Dell 2005FPW. Airport Express, Apple BT Mouse and Keyboard. Cannon EOS Digital Regel (DSLR), Sony PSC-93 (Point and Shoot), Sony Mini DV Camcorder. HP Photosmart 7960. The wife is using: 12" PowerBook G4 1.33, 768MB Ram, 60 GB Hard Drive.

The Digital Lifestyle at its Best!!!

selowitch  (op)
Mac Elite
May 20, 2005, 03:41 PM

Surprise! It actually arrived today. Cool! I'm at my doctor's office now, but should be home later.

Ciber
May 20, 2005, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by selowitch
Surprise! It actually arrived today. Cool! I'm at my doctor's office now, but should be home later.
Send that thing back!

You can get a 2005FPW for $397 shipped... link

discotronic
Mac Elite
May 20, 2005, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Ciber
Send that thing back!

With the link you provided the price is still around $486 before taxes. I just bought one and I had to really do some work to get it down to the price I paid. Here is what I posted in another thread in this forum:

Hey everyone. I just ordered the Dell 2005FPW. The price is $524.30 on sale. I added a $13 pack of CD-RW disks to take it over $750 original price for the order. Then I used the following coupons:

79VT3767HP833W

S0BDZ6HBTFDPSL

After all was said and done I got the monitor for $438. While it isn't an Apple monitor it will serve my purpose for some time.

I didn't have a choice but to add an item to the purchase. It took the total original price of the purchase over $750. That way I could use the $90 off coupon.

selowitch  (op)
Mac Elite
May 20, 2005, 06:25 PM

Send that thing back!

Not a bad idea, except 1) I need it to fit in my office hutch, a limited space; and 2) I need the rotating display, which I don't think that one has. Even if I did want a non-rotating 20" display, I don't want the added cost, wait, and the hassle of repacking it and sending it back. Besides, this thing looks fantastic.

Sure, there's always a "better" deal. But there's just a certain point of contentment I reach with a purchase and then I try to get on with life after that.

Ciber
May 20, 2005, 08:08 PM

Not a bad idea, except 1) I need it to fit in my office hutch, a limited space; and 2) I need the rotating display, which I don't think that one has. Even if I did want a non-rotating 20" display, I don't want the added cost, wait, and the hassle of repacking it and sending it back. Besides, this thing looks fantastic.

Sure, there's always a "better" deal. But there's just a certain point of contentment I reach with a purchase and then I try to get on with life after that.
It rotates... and dell will pay for the return shipping heh.

Ciber
May 20, 2005, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by discotronic
With the link you provided the price is still around $486 before taxes. I just bought one and I had to really do some work to get it down to the price I paid. Here is what I posted in another thread in this forum:

Hey everyone. I just ordered the Dell 2005FPW. The price is $524.30 on sale. I added a $13 pack of CD-RW disks to take it over $750 original price for the order. Then I used the following coupons:

79VT3767HP833W

S0BDZ6HBTFDPSL

After all was said and done I got the monitor for $438. While it isn't an Apple monitor it will serve my purpose for some time.

I didn't have a choice but to add an item to the purchase. It took the total original price of the purchase over $750. That way I could use the $90 off coupon.

What's below is based on my link... You're getting $486 because you forgot the padding heh.

Pack of CDR's $10.95 (Replace this with whatever you wish in order to bring your total above $750 in order to use the $90 off $750 coupon.)
Dell 2005FPW $749.00
S0BDZ6HBTFDPSL - $262.15
79VT3767HP833W -$90.00

Sub-total $407.80

Shipping & Handling $14.00

Shipping & Handling Discount -$14.00

Tax $0.00

Total Price $407.80

I'm in NYC so no tax for me.

selowitch  (op)
Mac Elite
May 20, 2005, 09:44 PM

It rotates... and dell will pay for the return shipping heh.
OK. Anyway, because of space considerations, I'm keeping this sucker and I'll be perfectly happy.

discotronic
Mac Elite
May 20, 2005, 09:48 PM

What's below is based on my link... You're getting $486 because you forgot the padding heh.

Pack of CDR's $10.95 (Replace this with whatever you wish in order to bring your total above $750 in order to use the $90 off $750 coupon.)
Dell 2005FPW $749.00
S0BDZ6HBTFDPSL - $262.15
79VT3767HP833W -$90.00

Sub-total $407.80

Shipping & Handling $14.00

Shipping & Handling Discount -$14.00

Tax $0.00

Total Price $407.80

I'm in NYC so no tax for me.
You're right, I didn't see one of the coupons listed on the site.

Not everyone has the luxury of not being required to pay taxes That alone added a little over 20 bucks.

Also, I emailed Dell today about a mix-up in what they charged me for shipping. It was supposed to be free but for some reason they charged me $7 for shipping. Takes my total down to almost $430. Even after taxes I can't see where a person can find a better deal. I would rather have had a 20" ACD but I really can't see paying the high price. For what I do with my system the extra cash isn't justified.

discotronic
Mac Elite
May 20, 2005, 09:52 PM

OK. Anyway, because of space considerations, I'm keeping this sucker and I'll be perfectly happy.
You might as well hang onto it. If space is a factor I don't think you will be unhappy. They are nice monitors. I have used a few of them at work. They have a nice picture and plenty of space to work with. The price isn't all that bad either.

Ciber
May 20, 2005, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by discotronic
You're right, I didn't see one of the coupons listed on the site.

Not everyone has the luxury of not being required to pay taxes That alone added a little over 20 bucks.

Also, I emailed Dell today about a mix-up in what they charged me for shipping. It was supposed to be free but for some reason they charged me $7 for shipping. Takes my total down to almost $430. Even after taxes I can't see where a person can find a better deal. I would rather have had a 20" ACD but I really can't see paying the high price. For what I do with my system the extra cash isn't justified.
You'd have to be really in love with Apple's ACD to buy it over the dell honestly... Hell you can buy two dells and have a dual setup for the price of the ACD... or buy a dell and like an extra 2 gigs of ram for your rig with the extra money.

There's so many better things to blow 400 bucks on than Apple's pretty little case.

Brigrat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 20, 2005, 11:45 PM

Well...Mine arrived at 1900 PST. I got it set up in a few minutes, and I love it. I got mine for $397 shipped +tax, with a couple of coupon codes last Sunday. It is truly awesome. I contemplated the 20" ACD, but went with the dell, added a gig of ram from newegg, and a faster/bigger hard, plus the 2005 20" Dell display, all for the price of the ACD. I am stoked!
12" PowerBook G4 1.33, 1.2GB Ram, 80GB 5400 RPM Hard Drive powering a Dell 2005FPW. Airport Express, Apple BT Mouse and Keyboard. Cannon EOS Digital Regel (DSLR), Sony PSC-93 (Point and Shoot), Sony Mini DV Camcorder. HP Photosmart 7960. The wife is using: 12" PowerBook G4 1.33, 768MB Ram, 60 GB Hard Drive.

The Digital Lifestyle at its Best!!!

Mike Pither
Mac Enthusiast
May 21, 2005, 05:31 PM

here in italy the apple 20" display costs €819 including delivery and vat from the apple store while the dell 2005 from dell actually costs €826,8 including vat but excluding delivery. Incredible apple costs less!!!
iMac DVSE 400 640mb + AL PB 15" with 1 gig + iMac 2,8 with 4gb + MacBook Pro 2,53 with 4gb

SSharon
Professional Poster
May 22, 2005, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by Mike Pither
here in italy the apple 20" display costs €819 including delivery and vat from the apple store while the dell 2005 from dell actually costs €826,8 including vat but excluding delivery. Incredible apple costs less!!!
Does Dell have crazy coupons and sales though?

The original price of the 19" 1905 is actually different on the Dell Home site and on the Dell Small Business site. I just got one this past week for a great price and I am very happy with it. Its replacing an almost 3 year old 19" flat NEC accusync 95F CRT that is soon to be fixed under warranty.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

selowitch  (op)
Mac Elite
May 22, 2005, 10:33 AM

Mine just arrived and it's stunning, a big improvement over the 19" MAG Innovision CRT it replaced. My family and I love the tiny footprint, the attractive flatness of the case, the crisp colors. The only issues are extremely minor, in that after calibrating the display the the included Dell color profile, we felt the display was actually a bit too bright, but we adjusted that and all is well now. I also found that the vertically positioned port for the VGA connection was a little inconvenient to attach the cable to, but now that it's done, life is good.

All in all, for $365.00, I feel we did quite well, esp. when you consider we paid over $400 five years ago for that hulking, radiation-leaking beast we got rid of.

discotronic
Mac Elite
May 24, 2005, 06:10 PM

I got my 2005FPW last night. It is a very nice monitor. I do have to agree that it is way too bright. Even after calibration I think the brightness could come down a couple notches. Other than that I am really satisfied with it. Can't beat the price either.

Too Artificial
Forum Regular
May 24, 2005, 10:45 PM

Disco, I was having the same feelings about my 2005 and someone recommended that I use Brightness Control. It's a small app that does just what the name implies. I added it to my login items and it runs all the time in the background. Here's a link if you're interested: http://macupdate.com/info.php/id/10429

discotronic
Mac Elite
May 24, 2005, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by Too Artificial
Disco, I was having the same feelings about my 2005 and someone recommended that I use Brightness Control. It's a small app that does just what the name implies. I added it to my login items and it runs all the time in the background. Here's a link if you're interested: http://macupdate.com/info.php/id/10429
Thanks, that did the trick I only needed just a little of the brightness taken out.

Forum Links
Forum Rules