Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > virtualpc + ventrilo

virtualpc + ventrilo
jeffB
Mar 21, 2005, 02:26 PM

anyone try running ventrilo using virtualpc?

i need it for wow, im guessing ill be able to hear everyone ok, but i doubt that the push to talk key will work "through" (lack of a better word) to virtualpc when wow is fullscreen.

if that makes any sense.

if anybodies tried it, lemme know how it worked out, thanks.

tictactoe
Forum Regular
Mar 22, 2005, 04:02 AM

I don't think it will work.

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2005, 03:23 AM

There is actually a lot of stuff that won't work in VPC, which sucks. I got it to do some job stuff and found out a certain app that requires a disk for updates is unusable because the Mac won't even recognize the disk. And that you can not allocate more than 512mb of RAM to it. I don't know of any games that work, except the solitare and pinball and other small stuff that comes with Window. What sucks is that you don't know if a certain app or disk will load in VPC until you try it, which usually means after buying it!

tictactoe: welcome to the Mac! how is the Powerbook?
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

ferg
Forum Regular
Sep 10, 2005, 08:55 AM

I started a forum on that over here:

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...72#post2689972

You would need to have it on an external machine, which works fine except I cannot hear the others when the speak, they can hear me fine though, I just need to figure out how to hear them.

Xidius
Sep 11, 2005, 05:06 PM

On my 1.5Ghz 17" Powerbook, I quit every app, including the finder, (and closed all my widgets) except for VirtualPC.

I then ran Ventrillo.

Result: I could hear them (with slight distortion toward the end of their comments. It got worse, the more apps I had open. Which was why I closed them all.). But I could not speak. When I got the microphone, I could speak, but not hear.

Fortunately I have a crappy pc laptop from which I can hear but not speak. So I listened to the performance of myself speaking in vent on the mac, and it was choppy as HELL. I mean wow. 100% of the computer's resources were being piped to VPC / Ventrillo, and yet I could barely make out a word of what I was saying.

Pretty lame.

- Xidius
You're just jealous coz' the voices wont talk to you!

Forum Links
Forum Rules