Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Gig announcement (Warning!! HUGE, jiant, oversized image!! arghh!)

Gig announcement (Warning!! HUGE, jiant, oversized image!! arghh!)
chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 1, 2005, 07:06 PM

After 2+ YEARS of rehearsal, my band has finally landed a gig. I know there's a few Austinites, and a fair number of Texicans on the forum, so consider yourselves invited. Our web page, with some audio.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 1, 2005, 07:15 PM

COOL! I know where Momos is, though I've never been there. Katz's, on the other hand, is somewhere I MUST get to somehow...

Anyway, the poster is really neat too. Too bad I don't live in Austin anymore...(and it ain't the same city I used to live in anymore either).

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 1, 2005, 08:00 PM

Ahhh Momos...our band played there several times.

Great place, and the chicks are always hawt.
( Last edited by RAILhead; Oct 1, 2005 at 10:51 PM. )
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 1, 2005, 08:11 PM

"our"

And yeah.. I miss playing out.

I might try to get something together to mess around with myself

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 1, 2005, 10:55 PM

Sorry, couldn't resist! And thanks for pointing out that holy crapola of an error!! "Are that thar band play uh geetar at thet joint wunce upon ah time."

/Long night
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

SeSawaya
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2005, 11:45 PM

hey good luck,
2 years huh? you must be amazing now!!

I I live even semi close, I'd be there. Have fun!!

chris v  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 2, 2005, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by SeSawaya
hey good luck,
2 years huh? you must be amazing now!!
Personnel changes, one of the guit. players had a shoulder injury that set us back, etc. We haven't really been hard at work the whole time-- more like from the conception of deciding I wanted to do this, then rounding up the players, and putting it all together. Then, once we declared ourselves "ready to book a gig," it took a while to do the legwork, there, and actually get an agent to book us. No mgmt.-- been doing it all myself. Art, mixing the demo, web page, booking, etc. It's slow going when you're also raising kids andr running a small business with 11 employees. But it feels good to be there.

How are things going for the Hillbilly Winos? (your album is still on my iPod)

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Cubeoid
Baninated
Oct 2, 2005, 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by chris v
How are things going for the Hillbilly Winos?
Please consult the wine drinking thread.

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 2, 2005, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by RAILhead

Sorry, couldn't resist!
I deserved it. That was a great usage of the HA HA guy.

chris v  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 2, 2005, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Cubeoid
Please consult the wine drinking thread.
Sorry, I'm teetotal.

SeSawaya
Mac Elite
Oct 3, 2005, 12:20 AM

How are things going for the Hillbilly Winos? (your album is still on my iPod)

slow to non exsistant unfortunatly. We last played in January. I fear the group as we know it is done. Too bad, it was a good mix. Just hard getting decent paying gigs in Chicago. We'd play some amazing places though. I personally was getting tired of the road trips with little or no money attached. Having just had our 1st child I feel I need to be making a living at my choosen profession. So I said I wasnt taking ANY gigs for this summer as I am a solo steel drummer now and I had 93 gigs between April 1 and October 1. So for me, its been a great summer. I've sold more CDs in 1 year than my band has in 3. I feel our best effort could've landed us a record deal, but then what? Be in debt $50 grand to a record company while touring for a year or two. No thanks, maybe if I was single and 25 again. I know our lead guitarist felt the same way as he is 55 and a doctor.

Sad though. when we played people stopped an took notice, just not the right people really. We had one record company that just told us flat out that the last thing they needed was another band to sell 50,000 albums. Chicken feed.

So I subscribe to the Derek Silvers at CDbaby way of life. I'd rather sell 10,000 CDs and make $100,000 then sell 100,000 Cds and be in debt to a lable.

Hey, you should really check out this site. http://www.indiebandmanager.com/
worth every penny man.

thanks for keeping me on your ipod. Hope you enjoy my work, it sure was hard work.
Kent

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Oct 3, 2005, 08:40 AM

I'll show up... no wait. In Japan. A bit of a drive.

chris v  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 3, 2005, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by SeSawaya
slow to non exsistant unfortunatly. We last played in January. I fear the group as we know it is done. Too bad, it was a good mix. Just hard getting decent paying gigs in Chicago. We'd play some amazing places though. I personally was getting tired of the road trips with little or no money attached. Having just had our 1st child I feel I need to be making a living at my choosen profession. So I said I wasnt taking ANY gigs for this summer as I am a solo steel drummer now and I had 93 gigs between April 1 and October 1. So for me, its been a great summer. I've sold more CDs in 1 year than my band has in 3. I feel our best effort could've landed us a record deal, but then what? Be in debt $50 grand to a record company while touring for a year or two. No thanks, maybe if I was single and 25 again. I know our lead guitarist felt the same way as he is 55 and a doctor.

Sad though. when we played people stopped an took notice, just not the right people really. We had one record company that just told us flat out that the last thing they needed was another band to sell 50,000 albums. Chicken feed.

So I subscribe to the Derek Silvers at CDbaby way of life. I'd rather sell 10,000 CDs and make $100,000 then sell 100,000 Cds and be in debt to a lable.
I have so been there. I'm sort of in the same boat-- this project is my coming out of a 7-year retirement, really, and for mostly the same reasons-- I realized that no matter what I did in the music industry, I'd always be a poor sucker. The cards are too stacked. Everybody in this band is in their 40's, with solid careers (one guitar player is a Dell engineer with a 4-digit ID#) and we have no intention of "touring." We play this music because we love it, so monday rehearsals are more like poker night than anything.

Have you heard The Letterpress Opry? Amorph, one of the admins over at Apple Insider is in this band, and they remind me a lot of what the Hillbilly Winos were doing. Very earthy Americana, and very cerebral. Wapsipinicon is one great song.

Tiresias
Oct 3, 2005, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by RAILhead

Sorry, couldn't resist! And thanks for pointing out that holy crapola of an error!! "Are that thar band play uh geetar at thet joint wunce upon ah time."

/Long night
(cringe... cringe...) ah... ok

who was it said it is better to keep quiet and appear stupid than post idle prattle and remove all doubt...?

must have been one long night.

p.s.
jesus christ some people don't know when the joke has worn thin... if i see that stupid f**king laughing guy again while reading these posts I am going to ram the jaggard end of a broken bottle into someone's face ...

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Oct 3, 2005, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by minty
(cringe... cringe...) ah... ok

who was it said it is better to keep quiet and appear stupid than post idle prattle and remove all doubt...?

must have been one long night.

p.s.
jesus christ some people don't know when the joke has worn thin... if i see that stupid f**king laughing guy again while reading these posts I am going to ram the jaggard end of a broken bottle into someone's face ...

Your face?

Tiresias
Oct 3, 2005, 10:42 AM

That's just nasty. Knock it off. -TI

sorry. you're right. but the pic itself was not actually indecent but for the fact she was a little overweight. i mean, if it were a pic -- no more, no less revealing -- of jennifer lopez for louis vuitton in vanity fair... would there be a problem.... weightism perhaps?
( Last edited by Tiresias; Oct 3, 2005 at 11:13 AM. )

chris v  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 3, 2005, 10:46 AM

Another case in point as to why I abandoned ship from this hell-hole a month ago. See ya'll somewhere else.

Tiresias
Oct 3, 2005, 11:02 AM

Another case in point as to why I abandoned ship from this hell-hole a month ago. See ya'll somewhere else.
still... the pics got more pluck than the laughing guy.

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Oct 3, 2005, 11:06 AM

sure. if your mama/girlfriend takes her pic off the net...

ha ha! I win!
You are the smart one.

chris v  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 3, 2005, 11:07 AM

still... the pics got more pluck than the laughing guy.
F¨ck OFF! I tried to ignore the hahah guy-- I really did. But every goddam thread in this miserable hellhole descends, within 10 posts, into this sort of crap, no matter what. I come here because there's still a few folks here I like, but what little there still is in the lounge that's fun and good is now drowned under a sea of sh!t, thanks to imbiciles like you, jack-@ss.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 3, 2005, 11:09 AM

You guys HAVE TO play "Dear God", great song (and this from an ardent Theist).
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

chris v  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 3, 2005, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by MacNStein
You guys HAVE TO play "Dear God", great song (and this from an ardent Theist).
It's almost done-- probably keep it for the next gig. you don't have to be athiest to understand the context of doubt in that song. Any religious person goes through doubting G*d on occasion, and of course the questions he asks are a valid part of faith. (not that I have any)

Tiresias
Oct 3, 2005, 11:20 AM

F¨ck OFF! I tried to ignore the hahah guy-- I really did. But every goddam thread in this miserable hellhole descends, within 10 posts, into this sort of crap, no matter what. I come here because there's still a few folks here I like, but what little there still is in the lounge that's fun and good is now drowned under a sea of sh!t, thanks to imbiciles like you, jack-@ss.
yes. you make a valid point. but i hazard that the real problem here, and elsewhere where people interact online without any guiding objective/subject, is the absence of visual and aural cues by which to contextualise the actual intentions of others... sure, sometimes people are just jerks... but the internet would also be a dull place if people treaded too carefully... a stupid jest, reduced to raw text and read in an entirely different context/culture/country is easily misinterpreted... that said, my post was in bad taste, however you look at it... sorry

chris v  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 3, 2005, 11:21 AM

yes. you make a valid point. but i hazard that the real problem here, and elsewhere where people interact online without any guiding objective/subject, is the absence of visual and aural cues by which to contextualise the actual intentions of others... sure, sometimes people are just jerks... but the internet would also be a dull place if people treaded too carefully... a stupid jest, reduced to raw text and read in an entirely different context/culture/country is easily misinterpreted... that said, my post was in bad taste, however you look at it... sorry
get out of my thread. Apology not accepted.

(as per your tenets)

Tiresias
Oct 3, 2005, 11:32 AM

get out of my thread. Apology not accepted.

(as per your tenets)
non-acceptance of apology accepted.

p.s
i'm a crap speller (it's "trod") but if i am going to call someone an imbecile, i make sure i don't... ah, forget it.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 3, 2005, 04:10 PM

Sorry about your thread, chris.

chris v  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 3, 2005, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by analogika
Sorry about your thread, chris.
Ah, well, whaddya expect? Now, I'm being dissed for my spelleng. Morans.

Better luck next time, I suppose.

chris v  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 3, 2005, 04:15 PM

non-acceptance of apology accepted.

p.s
i'm a crap speller (it's "trod") but if i am going to call someone an imbecile, i make sure i don't... ah, forget it.
Really, though-- go away. Three people come into this thread and start a bitchfest that has absolutely nothing even to do with the topic. all of you -- Maury, Minty, AndreasG4-- take it elsewhere.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 3, 2005, 08:04 PM

Hey Chris,

The band sounds great!

I suggest putting together a "Press Kit" section on your website, so you can direct venue owners to this page to download your artwork to promote your band. I work with several musicians, and I know it can be frustrating when a gig is under-promoted, or promoted using unflattering PR material. You put so much work into this artwork, I think this would help with your future gigs.

Congrats!

chris v  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2005, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c
Hey Chris,

The band sounds great!

I suggest putting together a "Press Kit" section on your website, so you can direct venue owners to this page to download your artwork to promote your band. I work with several musicians, and I know it can be frustrating when a gig is under-promoted, or promoted using unflattering PR material. You put so much work into this artwork, I think this would help with your future gigs.

Congrats!
Good point. I've got a physical promo kit, but I could beef up the website with some of that stuff in .pdf form. I'm going to add bios for the band members one of these days, too, & once we've actually played a gig, there'll be something on the photos page.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 4, 2005, 02:14 AM

Good point. I've got a physical promo kit, but I could beef up the website with some of that stuff in .pdf form. I'm going to add bios for the band members one of these days, too, & once we've actually played a gig, there'll be something on the photos page.
I've really been loving up Gallery, and the iPhoto plug-in available for it. The new version of Gallery will allow you to embed your Gallery into your site (I use the Wordpress plugin to do this). If you were to set this up, you'd be able to publish photos on an ongoing basis with trivial effort. Gallery will handle captioning and pretty much anything else you could possibly think of. It's quite nice.

Forum Links
Forum Rules