Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Debate: Does Apple Have A Tin Ear Or What??

Debate: Does Apple Have A Tin Ear Or What??
schwei
Jan 13, 2001, 12:43 PM

Slowly but surely, Apple creeps into the 21st Century with digital A/V with authoring tools, with the intro of iDVD/DVD Studio Pro. And the DOLBY DIGITAL logo appears on a separately shrink-wrapped Apple-branded product for the first time (as opposed to DVD Player 2.2, which isn't a standalone product).

But according to the Apple "Digital Hub" philosophy and the DVD Studio Pro specs, I can author an AC-3 encoded DVD with my one-year-old G4/500 because the spec says I can write to DVD-RAM. Great! But I gotta play it back on a DVD player to listen to it in all its AC-3 glory.

So the question now is: What sound application will handle this? Answer:

<<Select the sound files and assign them to the correct position in the sound field. **A.Pack** does the rest, giving you an AC-3 audio stream ready to include on a DVD. If you desire, you can listen to your audio stream on your Macintosh. >> (Huh?)

Riddle me this, Batmen (sic): I have two AC-3 sound systems in the house, but rarely have I been able to get good full DVD-playback (with AC-3) from third-party solutions on my G4 or my older Mac clone. Don't own a standalone DVD, didn't think I needed it. Does the continued lack of an Apple (or partner)-branded Dolby Digital audio-out solution indicate:

A) It's a hardware/software problem on the Mac platform;

B) Apple (or their partners) *can't* afford the Dolby license fee on such a small market but Wintel *could* so they have it;

C) Steve Jobs doesn't care about great sound--he has a tin ear;

D) The home entertainment industry is pissed about the idea that *any* PC, laptop or desktop, Wintel or Mac, could or can replace a CD/DVD/mp3 player/PIM by itself in the first place, so Steve pacifies them with the "digital hub" concept, to wit: You *make* it with the Mac, i.e. the Hub, but *play* it with the other device at the end, i.e., the spoke.

E) Any combination of the above.

And by the way, where does MiniDisc come in?

Whadayouthink?

Mac evangelist since 1986

Forum Links
Forum Rules