Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > My InvisibleShield Experiences Reviewed!

My InvisibleShield Experiences Reviewed! (Page 2)
HazelGirl
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 3, 2006, 11:59 AM

just got my new nano from a dear friend of mine and will be picking up one of these shields and probably a secondary "carrying case" type thing as well.
Mac Mini G4 1.33 Ghz:40GBhf, 512MBRAM, 32MBVRAM
MBP 15.4' 2.33Ghz:160GBhd, 2GBRAM, 256MBVRAM
iMac 24' 2.4 Ghz, 300GBhd, 2GBRAM, 256MBVRAM
80GB iPod Classic (black)

badnewsblair  (op)
Senior User
Jan 5, 2006, 01:57 PM

So it has been over two months now since I posted this (which was the day after I applied my Invisible Shield to my iPod). I have to admit that I was scared for quite a while that the Invisible Shield would scratch and I would have to reapply it or just deal with the scratches. I Kept it in a spare iPod sock for a while, especially when in my pocket where I usually have change or my cell phone or worse... my keys! I finally got up the nerve to take it out of the sock and just rely on the IS as my iPod protection. I did it and my iPod still looks amazing. It has been through a bit of abuse in my pocket and on my desk where occasionally my cat will paw at it a little. It is still scratch-less and looks as beautiful as the first day I applied the IS. I really love this thing and strongly recommend it to anyone that doesn't want to cover up their iPod. It really protects and lets you continue to use any accessories you may have such as the Belkin Cup holder cradle which I have and use (looks gaudy in my car, but it puts the iPod right at the end of my fingertips). I promise I will post pictures up here someday. I just have a crappy camera that I hate using.

I would encourage anyone else that has the IS to post pictures and their continued experiences with it. I would particularly like to know about anyone who has taken advantage of the replacements from the company that makes the IS. I don't see me using that feature for quite a while, but I would like to know how difficult it is to order them and how many hoops you have to jump through to get one.

A comment @ "mkral". I have the same thing on mine. Three of the corners have a little bubble where the plastic does not meet the body of the iPod. It is no big deal in my opinion. It pissed me off in the beginning because I am a bit of a perfectionist, but I have gotten over it since. I am pleasantly surprised that the exposed corners aren't really being affected by the normal wear and tear.

I will keep you updated...
[ 15 inch Macbook Pro 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo ][ 20 inch Intel iMac 2 GB RAM / 256 MB ATI XT 1600 ][ iPhone OG (3GS on Reservation)][ White iPod 5th Gen. 60GB ]

thestumper
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 6, 2006, 09:17 PM

I got one of these things for my Nano. It was an absolute b*tch to install, but I'm confident that if I had to do it again, it would go much smoother. I started with the back, had the same problems with the tabs as pretty much everyone else here, and finally came to the conclusion that I was using too much water.

Its a tradeoff; if you get the thing soaking wet, you can screw around with the alignment for a really long time. Problem is, when you get it right, its not sticky yet and you can't do anything until it starts to adhere.

If you keep it a little tacky, the process is easier PROVIDED that you have steady hands and can get it aligned FAST. Pooch the alignment when its sticky and you'll be peeling the damn thing off and hoping you don't wreck it in the process (in reality, its pretty tough stuff...).

BUT... once applied, it is a good product. I use similar material on the tank of my motorcycle to keep my knees from scratching up the tank, and it works very well in both applications. I now think nothing of throwing my nano in my pocket when I'm headed out the door. What I really like about it is allows the design to shine through. I have a DuoSkin case as well, and its great, but it just doesn't scream "COOL!!!" like a naked Nano

HazelGirl
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 12, 2006, 01:10 AM

i just got mine too and applied it to my nano. wasn't too difficult though it was a little tricky making it fit just right. it probably too me osmethin g like 20 mins total to do it.

its currently setting in. Now I just have to find the right portable case so I can wear it around my neck or clip it to my skirt or on my arm (depends which one I want more). and also gotta get some new headphones.

Anyone know if there is a voice recording adapter for the nano?
Mac Mini G4 1.33 Ghz:40GBhf, 512MBRAM, 32MBVRAM
MBP 15.4' 2.33Ghz:160GBhd, 2GBRAM, 256MBVRAM
iMac 24' 2.4 Ghz, 300GBhd, 2GBRAM, 256MBVRAM
80GB iPod Classic (black)

joebob
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 19, 2006, 04:27 AM

I had the Invisible Shield on my iPod. It was tough to get on right. I'm glad I practiced on the back before I did the front, which was not what the official instructions say to do. Regarding the amount of water to use, I would say be liberal about it on the back and not as much on the front. It seemed to stick alot faster to the back metal than to the plastic front, even though I thought I was using the same amount of water on both sides. You don't want it to stick too easily because - and here's my biggest complaint about attaching the Invisible Shield - although the Invisible Shield material does not scratch easily, it sure as heck stretches easy enough. So, if you set it wrong and it sticks, the more you have to rip the Invisible Shield off and do over, the more you might stretch it out. This happens even if you are very careful, peel very slowly and put a lot of water on it. In the end, the precise cut of my Invisible Shield was no longer precise. The plastic would run over the top edge AND the bottom edge, but only by very little. You'd have to be really looking and feeling for it to tell. Not to parrot everyone else but, yeah, it's a pretty effective product once you've gotten the bloody thing on to your satisfaction.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jan 19, 2006, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by HazelGirl
Anyone know if there is a voice recording adapter for the nano?
There will never be one for the nano.

Mercator
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 27, 2006, 10:33 AM

Now that folks have had their IS installed for a few months, has anyone removed it? I'm curious to know if the glue leaves a nasty residue behind.

Forum Links
Forum Rules