Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Our Archives > General Archives > Macs in the Media > Doonesbury Cubed

Doonesbury Cubed
jholmes
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2001, 09:18 AM

In today's strip it looks like Mike Doonesbury has a new Cube and a CRT Apple display. Either that or there's a kleenex box next to his monitor.

I notice in most of the comics anymore, when they show a computer they show an iMac. I've seen them in Sally Forth, Non Sequitur, the Foxtrot iFruit and a couple of others.

Does Apple "promote" these ideas or do cartoonists just think the Apples look cooler?
`Everybody is ignorant. Only on different subjects.' -- Will Rogers

Mac_hiavelli
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 23, 2001, 02:39 PM

Apples ARE cooler.

Mac_Jedi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 26, 2001, 12:39 PM

I dont think apple does any deals to do it, they just look more appealing.

Most Comics with computers use imac looking machines, its just a very easy to identify object. Doonesbury has been putting iMacs, G3's G4's Powerbook's and the like in the strip since they started getting cool looking
-Jedi

cube-dude
Moderator Emeritus
May 29, 2001, 09:11 PM

From today's MacNN front page: "Several readers note that today's online edition of Doonesbury, a nationally syndicated comic, contains a Mac twist. In recent months, the comic has been decorated with Apple products, including the iMac, iBook, Cube, and Apple Studio Display."

MP 2 x 2.8 and etc.

WDL
Mac Enthusiast
May 30, 2001, 08:46 AM

There's a full page article in the June MacWorld by Bill Amend, the creator of FoxTrot (I love it!) on
the subject of Macs, which he uses for everything.

He purposely called the iMac in the strip the "iFruity" so that readers would not get the impression
he's in bed with Apple. He doesn't push anyones' product(s) - he happens to like and use Macs.

Love the sign that Jason (the nerd) hung on the wall next to the iMac - "Dad - do not drag the
hard drive to the trash!"

WDL

[This message has been edited by WDL (edited 05-30-2001).]

Forum Links
Forum Rules