Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Received my Macbook replacement yesterday and...

Received my Macbook replacement yesterday and...
Ciber
Jul 8, 2006, 03:58 PM

I'll start with the positive stuff first:

1. The memory slots actually work as intended on this one, dimms pop out properly and the new ones went in without any trouble(on the first one the dimms would not "pop" out and would get stuck, macbook actually fried itself when i put in new memory).

2. Doesn't get as hot as the first one.

3. The trackpad button works properly(clicks register anywhere you press).

And now on to the bad:

1. There's a bit of the top of the vent in the back popping out, tried pushing it back in and it won't budge.

2. The hinge makes a horrible creaking sound.

3. The down arrow key needs to be pressed right in the center and with more force than the other keys or it just doesn't work.

The first one was a week 24 and the second one is a week 26.

So needless to say, this one is also going back.

Will #3 be the lucky one that stays home? Stay tuned!

Apple here's to your QC:

Maybe i should of stuck with my Rev C 12" PB...
( Last edited by Ciber; Jul 8, 2006 at 07:51 PM. )

masugu
Senior User
Jul 8, 2006, 05:18 PM

Yikes!!! I think my Book is pretty close to perfect. The mouse button is not too responsive on teh left most side....and it does get hot. It is a week 22 unit, so I guess I should be happy. Will be happeir if there is ever a firmware fan fix.

Good luck with the new Book.
masugu - "Straight Ahead"
BlacBook Core Duo / Original Intel-based MB - DIY Core i7 PC |

Ouhei
Jul 8, 2006, 07:09 PM

That sucks, mine has been perfect so far, no complaunes at all.

sieb
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 8, 2006, 09:26 PM

Hmm.. I just got my blackbook, week 21. Works fine, upgraded ram and harddrive w/o any issue. Only thing is that its lcd has a pink hue which I fixed with a good profile from a previous thread.
Sieb
Blackbook
(2Ghz, 2GB, 100Gig, week 21)

amru
Forum Regular
Jul 9, 2006, 03:10 AM

sorry, but how do u find out wht week 'book u have?

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Jul 9, 2006, 04:57 AM

Your serial number (found by going to Apple menu > about this Mac, and clicking where it says 'version 10.4.7' until the S/N comes up.

The week can be determined by the 1st part of the serial: ie, the start of the serial on my iMac is W8603 - indicating it was built in 2006 (by the 6), and in the 3rd week of the year (by the 03)
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

Lucky8
Forum Regular
Jul 9, 2006, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by sieb
Only thing is that its lcd has a pink hue which I fixed with a good profile from a previous thread.
My week 26 MacBook also has a slight pink hue to it but now that I have been using it for a week, it's only pinky within the first 15-20 mins after wake up.
Maybe these LCDs just need to break in

Ciber  (op)
Jul 10, 2006, 01:22 PM

So i got my third macbook and it's also a victim of shoddy QC...

The left side around where the security hole is located is sticking out because the screws there aren't gripping on to anything, basically if i press on that area it sticks in and sticks back out when i let go. I tried tightening the screws but they just spin endlessly, as if there's nothing there for them to grip on to.

Sigh, Guess i'll have to get it exchanged or send it in for repair and hope it doesn't come back in worse shape.

Heh, buying these things is a $1500 gamble.

Time to roll the dice again!

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2006, 01:41 PM

If you are talking about the 2 silver coloured screws on the left side, near the front of the MB, then they won't do anything; the ones on that side are purely there for cosmetic reasons...
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

bo989
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 10, 2006, 01:55 PM

Ciber, I'm pretty sure harrisjamieh is right. I tested my whitebook and the left side bends in slightly, while the right side does not. This does not appear to be defect.

buddy1065
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 10, 2006, 02:22 PM

Ciber, I would check a demo to determine what to do with it.

Yakov
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 10, 2006, 08:13 PM

yeah, just don't poke it

Ciber  (op)
Jul 10, 2006, 11:33 PM

Seems you guys are right about that, either way, i ended up giving that one to my friend since it runs much hotter than the last two.

I'm debating whether to keep #2 if i manage to fix the creaking sound somehow. I managed to fix the down arrow key by taking it off and putting it back on...

I'm just tired of going through all this trouble.

TacoBallZ
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 11, 2006, 04:10 PM

I had a problem with the down and right arrow keys not responding unless you really mashed them down. Applestore in Tucson,AZ replaced mine and I have been a happy camper. The keys now work properly. I might actually go camping with it since I can pretty much cook a hotdog on the underside of macbook

Dillon-K
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 12, 2006, 04:34 AM

Do you think it's worth it to request a different one if you get a "bad one" and how would you do it (AKA what bull do you feed Apple support?)
Black MacBook 2.0GHz Core Duo, 1GB RAM.
Logitech V270 Bluetooth mouse, Brenthaven Metro (black).

Ciber  (op)
Jul 13, 2006, 12:46 PM

So i ended up taking the one with the creaking hindge to the appe store on 5th avenue...

They "fixed" the hinge, but did not fix the bulging part of the vent. So, i just figured i'll take it home and just forget about the bulge since i don't want to leave it for repair again and be without a computer even longer.

Fast forward to later last night when i got home... The body now creaks on both sides every time i put my hands on the palm rests, it seems they did not seat the cover properly and it's sticking up on the right side, and the creaking on the hinge is back.

Seriously, this is beyond pathetic, possibly the worst service and product quality i've ever seen in my life.

Apple apologists, please don't bother replying with your lame excuses.

pheonixash
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 13, 2006, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Ciber
So i ended up taking the one with the creaking hindge to the appe store on 5th avenue...

They "fixed" the hinge, but did not fix the bulging part of the vent. So, i just figured i'll take it home and just forget about the bulge since i don't want to leave it for repair again and be without a computer even longer.

Fast forward to later last night when i got home... The body now creaks on both sides every time i put my hands on the palm rests, it seems they did not seat the cover properly and it's sticking up on the right side, and the creaking on the hinge is back.

Seriously, this is beyond pathetic, possibly the worst service and product quality i've ever seen in my life.

Apple apologists, please don't bother replying with your lame excuses.
Just go back and get it fixed by them and quit cribbing, cause it's covered by the warranty which means they will fix it.

Ciber  (op)
Jul 13, 2006, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by pheonixash
Just go back and get it fixed by them and quit cribbing, cause it's covered by the warranty which means they will fix it.

I paid them $1500 to provide me with a laptop that is supposed to be free from defects, not to give me a part time job trying to get a properly built and working product.

I have every right to be pissed.

Jonaziz
Jul 13, 2006, 08:46 PM

And to post, but what did the posts really accomplish? We've heard all the problems already from dozens of others.

hldan
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2006, 11:43 PM

I paid them $1500 to provide me with a laptop that is supposed to be free from defects, not to give me a part time job trying to get a properly built and working product.

Just a question for ya, has everything you paid money for except the Macbook shipped free of defects? The problem with many new Mac users is they get sidetracked that something beautiful to look at must be problem free. Ever notice a beautiful woman can give you a world full of drama and problems? Same with your Apple. It's mass produced, it's not custom made or hand built so live the reality and go to Apple and get it taken care of.
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

pheonixash
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 14, 2006, 12:48 AM

Well since you voluntarily did not get the vent fixed at that point when you got it back from repairs for the creaking hinge, you're making more work for yourself.

I agree you paid $1500 for a perfect laptop, so you should enforce that right of yours, rather than accepting the laptop when they return it w/o fixing it completely.

Ciber  (op)
Jul 14, 2006, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by pheonixash
Well since you voluntarily did not get the vent fixed at that point when you got it back from repairs for the creaking hinge, you're making more work for yourself.

I agree you paid $1500 for a perfect laptop, so you should enforce that right of yours, rather than accepting the laptop when they return it w/o fixing it completely.
I did not bother because i never cared about the vent, i only mentioned it to them so they would fix it while they were fixing the creaking hinge.

Anyway, i forgot to mention that the machine with the hinge issue was also one that throttled under load. I eventually managed to convince the manager and his "tech lead" that it wasn't normal and they agreed to replace the logic board, fix the hinge, vent and now creaking body with the raised sides of plastic because whoever took it apart did not put it back together properly.

I of course refused to waste even more time waiting for them to fix all their screwups and asked them to replace it. After an hour or so they finally agreed to replace it... So i'm now using that replacement and the right speaker is broken... AMAZING.

I must officially have the worst luck on the planet when it comes to these macbooks, or maybe they are just making a lot of bad ones, hmm...

Jonaziz
Jul 14, 2006, 01:58 PM

I did not bother because i never cared about the vent, i only mentioned it to them so they would fix it while they were fixing the creaking hinge.

Anyway, i forgot to mention that the machine with the hinge issue was also one that throttled under load. I eventually managed to convince the manager and his "tech lead" that it wasn't normal and they agreed to replace the logic board, fix the hinge, vent and now creaking body with the raised sides of plastic because whoever took it apart did not put it back together properly.

I of course refused to waste even more time waiting for them to fix all their screwups and asked them to replace it. After an hour or so they finally agreed to replace it... So i'm now using that replacement and the right speaker is broken... AMAZING.

I must officially have the worst luck on the planet when it comes to these macbooks, or maybe they are just making a lot of bad ones, hmm...

Or maybe you're suffering from Instant Karma after this obsession of telling us all you problems with the computer instead of just getting it fixed. I assure you that there are tons of defective Dells or Gateways shipped; unfortunately there's no DellNN or GatewayNN full of experiences with laptops that explode or melt. Speaking of which, shouldn't there more attention about Dells exploding than MacBooks being warm to the touch?

Ciber  (op)
Jul 14, 2006, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Jonaziz
Or maybe you're suffering from Instant Karma after this obsession of telling us all you problems with the computer instead of just getting it fixed. I assure you that there are tons of defective Dells or Gateways shipped; unfortunately there's no DellNN or GatewayNN full of experiences with laptops that explode or melt. Speaking of which, shouldn't there more attention about Dells exploding than MacBooks being warm to the touch?
What part of we're paying for *NEW* products and not used fixer-uppers don't you understand? We should not have to take *NEW* products into the shop right after opening the box. I know it's difficult for you since your reading comprehension is that of a 2 year old, but i *TRIED* to get it fixed and they did *NOT* fix it, and continue to supply me with defective products.

Once again, I'm paying for a ***BRAND NEW*** $1,500 computer, not a used fixer-upper that needs to be fixed. You either don't care about your money or love apple way too much to actually find it acceptable to pay for a new product that needs to immediately be taken in for repair.

buddy1065
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 14, 2006, 04:04 PM

If only the speaker is malfunctioning I would consider keeping it till the warranty is just about gone, especially if it's perfect with no dead pixels. But then I use earphones for anything worth actually listening to. I get your point though; my last 1.5 Ghz Powerbook was perfect, my last Sony T250 was perfect, My new Hummer H3 so far is without fault, my new A900 Sprint phone is perfect, working as an EVDO USB or BT modem very well; I could go on and on. But then if it's a first revision product you must realize you could be taking a chance with any product; exactly why I am waiting for Rev 2 Macbook, besides the fact that they scrimped on the shared video RAM.

suparboysean
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 14, 2006, 05:17 PM

ciber -
you may have already said this but where did you purchase it? mine is having some troubles as well and I bought it from the apple store online and I'm not sure how to go about fixing it. Will any apple retail store take a look at it?

thanks
sean

Jonaziz
Jul 14, 2006, 07:37 PM

What part of we're paying for *NEW* products and not used fixer-uppers don't you understand? We should not have to take *NEW* products into the shop right after opening the box. I know it's difficult for you since your reading comprehension is that of a 2 year old, but i *TRIED* to get it fixed and they did *NOT* fix it, and continue to supply me with defective products.

Once again, I'm paying for a ***BRAND NEW*** $1,500 computer, not a used fixer-upper that needs to be fixed. You either don't care about your money or love apple way too much to actually find it acceptable to pay for a new product that needs to immediately be taken in for repair.
Yack Yack personal insult Yack. I am simply pointing out that this has all been "spoken about" before in many other threads by other uses; what have you gained by telling us all about your problems? You'd probably get more useful advice from Steve Jobs public email, you have a problem, you take it back and don't forget to tell them what needs to be fixed. When they replace a computer and it's still defective because they slap a few defective ones together for cases like that, maybe you should tell them about the problem.

When I had a iMac G3 that probably needed 2x it's value in repairs over the first 2 years I didn't continually post to people who can't help, I kept getting it fixed when it was needed. Through all that it never occurred to me to start making threads detailing troubles. Obviously you can't warn someone buying a MacBook that 1 in 10000 buyers have noticed their case was misaligned; you can't warn them that there's a chance their MacBook could suffer some sort of rare speaker fault... it has accomplished nothing to post here because all the problems, except the creaking hinge; is very isolated.

If you are so disappointed to spend time posting here, you should just return it and buy something that you believe will better satisfy your expectations. I don't know what other people think, but it's far more rare to see a user make a thread about how good their MacBook is and how well it does X Y Z. The bottom line is that if everyone with a good MacBook flooded the forums with new topics it would be far fare more chaotic; why shouldn't they when they spend over one thousand dollars on their computers....

Ciber  (op)
Jul 14, 2006, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by suparboysean
ciber -
you may have already said this but where did you purchase it? mine is having some troubles as well and I bought it from the apple store online and I'm not sure how to go about fixing it. Will any apple retail store take a look at it?

thanks
sean

Got it from Amazon, and yes, any apple store will repair it.

Ciber  (op)
Jul 14, 2006, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Jonaziz
Yack Yack personal insult Yack. I am simply pointing out that this has all been "spoken about" before in many other threads by other uses; what have you gained by telling us all about your problems? You'd probably get more useful advice from Steve Jobs public email, you have a problem, you take it back and don't forget to tell them what needs to be fixed. When they replace a computer and it's still defective because they slap a few defective ones together for cases like that, maybe you should tell them about the problem.

When I had a iMac G3 that probably needed 2x it's value in repairs over the first 2 years I didn't continually post to people who can't help, I kept getting it fixed when it was needed. Through all that it never occurred to me to start making threads detailing troubles. Obviously you can't warn someone buying a MacBook that 1 in 10000 buyers have noticed their case was misaligned; you can't warn them that there's a chance their MacBook could suffer some sort of rare speaker fault... it has accomplished nothing to post here because all the problems, except the creaking hinge; is very isolated.

If you are so disappointed to spend time posting here, you should just return it and buy something that you believe will better satisfy your expectations. I don't know what other people think, but it's far more rare to see a user make a thread about how good their MacBook is and how well it does X Y Z. The bottom line is that if everyone with a good MacBook flooded the forums with new topics it would be far fare more chaotic; why shouldn't they when they spend over one thousand dollars on their computers....

So if we all followed your logic there would only be 1 negative post per issue on these forums? If you think all those posts/threads/news stories screaming about the discoloration issue didn't push apple to notice/do something about it quicker, then you're dillusional.

If no one complains and gets these companies attention then they really have no incentive to waste money fixing things. The more that post about their negative experiences/ issues the bigger the chance that others will notice them and look for them on their own machines.

I would of never known about the throttling macbooks under load if it wasn't for all the threads and posts complaining about it. I ended up with one of those and thanks to those posts i got it replaced instead of being stuck with a machine running at a lower speed than i paid for.

If you're happy going back and forth getting a subpar product constantly repaired then that's your problem, but don't try to tell me that i should do the same. I have better things to do with my time.

I won't bother replying to your stupid posts anymore since it's obvious that you enjoy being Apple's bitch.
( Last edited by Ciber; Jul 14, 2006 at 08:06 PM. )

Jonaziz
Jul 14, 2006, 10:33 PM

"I have better things to do with my time."

Yes like keep posting the same dramatic stories of loss and pain on these forums. You should start a lawsuit if you're in this much pain. You still keep addressing the product instead of my point that you aren't accomplishing anything here.

lamewing
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 15, 2006, 01:13 AM

I have to agree with Ciber here.

I am astounded at the folks who think it is okay to buy a $1500.00 electronics item and find defects, even if it is the first iteration...especially if it cannot be properly repaired. What is worse is the replacemnts seem to be faulty as well.

If I drop that much money on a new product, I expect it to be pristine out of the box. If a person gets a non-operation/partially operational machine out of box, it should be replaced the moment the buyer goes into the store. No repairs, no if-ands-or-buts...simple replacement. Now, if the machine is more than a month old, then sure repairs may be in order, but not when the machine is new.

I might have put up with this twenty years ago, when I was still green, but at this point in my life I have no problem taking my money elsewhere if a company cannot provide a solid product or service.

I have always liked the look of Apple products and I love OSX, but the quality control on many of the Apple laptops is questionable. You shouldn't have to wait til the 3rd iteration to be able to guarantee a solid product. It would be nice if Apple put more effort into overseeing the QC at it's source.

Dillon-K
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 15, 2006, 01:44 AM

have you ever used a first edition Microsoft operating system?
Black MacBook 2.0GHz Core Duo, 1GB RAM.
Logitech V270 Bluetooth mouse, Brenthaven Metro (black).

masugu
Senior User
Jul 15, 2006, 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by Dillon-K
have you ever used a first edition Microsoft operating system?
You can download a software patch...but not a hardware patch
masugu - "Straight Ahead"
BlacBook Core Duo / Original Intel-based MB - DIY Core i7 PC |

Jacob
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 15, 2006, 05:41 AM

I'm extremely angry at the fact that a 2 week old machine is dead....second one now..anger..
"I cluck, therefor I am."

Ciber  (op)
Jul 15, 2006, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by Jacob
I'm extremely angry at the fact that a 2 week old machine is dead....second one now..anger..

I called Amazon earlier today and asked them to have UPS pick up the 4th defective Macbook and refund my money.

hldan
Mac Elite
Jul 15, 2006, 11:27 PM

I called Amazon earlier today and asked them to have UPS pick up the 4th defective Macbook and refund my money.
Good, now you should buy it at the Apple retail store in person where you can open it up and check it out before you take it home. I had good experiences buying stuff online but online shopping can be a hit or miss since you can't test it before using it. If you are going to buy a Mac online it's best to buy it from Apple's online store. They generally build to order vs. shipping from old back up stock they may have suffered bumps and grinds during shipping.
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

McNewbie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 16, 2006, 07:50 AM

Yes complaining about it in a forum filled with unsympathetic people is definetly NOT getting you anywhere but I do understand your pain. It's ridiculous to have to be taking BRAND NEW items to the "repair shop" already that means that their quality control was crap from the beginning : ( Sad really...

itguy05
Forum Regular
Jul 16, 2006, 04:43 PM

I agree with the OP. You buy a widget and it should work out of the box. If it doesn't, you should return it and get another that works properly brand new. Having a brand mew machine replaced with a refurb or needing parts is not acceptible. Now after 1-12 months, that's acceptible.

If you plunked $30k on a new car, pulled off the lot and the wheels fell off and the engine siezed, wouldn't you be demanding a new car rather than new wheels, body work, and a new engine? Same principle here.

ajt011
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 17, 2006, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by bo989
Ciber, I'm pretty sure harrisjamieh is right. I tested my whitebook and the left side bends in slightly, while the right side does not. This does not appear to be defect.
Mine does as well. If I push the left side in, it makes a small creaking sound and goes in and out too. I thought of tightening the screws but I won't bother if people are saying its cosmetic. Also ever so slightly on the left side, above all the ports, the horizontal plastic cover under the keyboard is lifting and can be pushed up and down though - ever so slightly. If I pick up the macbook in a way where the left side is pushed in, I get a small creak. But since they all push in/out I don't think this is a deal braker. I'm afraid if I return it I will get something worse.

I think I'm lucky to get one without any other issue (yet, only had it a few days). My first one had a dead trackpad, my second one had a chip in plastic above keyboard plus strange black marks/blemishes. The advice to just go into the store and open several boxes is the best approach. But since everything is made in China these days, quality has dropped in general and unfortunately, with any brand new product with the "latest and greatest" - you need to choose the one out of the box with the least amount of kinks and those you can live with. I totally agree this should not be the way. But the other approach is wasting your life waiting for the 2nd or 3rd revision with no kinks. By then, a newer model is around the corner.

I went through 3 PSPs at Best Buy before I got one without major dust under the screen. Yes, even the beautiful sexy PSP was not without its problems.

I think in general QC at the source, as mentioned by a poster, is really needed these days, since everything is made in China and they are not yet at the same level of quality awareness as they have been in the US and Europe.

That said, I cannot recommend the Macbook more to anybody. It is the dream machine I have been waiting for for over 10 years. Finally a computer that can run 2 OS' natively. And it's sexy has hell and beautifully designed to boot. You will be the center of attention anywhere with your beautiful gadget, compared to all those folks with their boring dull colored PCs. What else could one possible want in life?

Forum Links
Forum Rules