Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Camera Shootout?

Camera Shootout?
blicked
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 24, 2007, 06:10 PM

Heyhey all-

I have been messing around with photography for quite awhile, but only with point and shoot cameras such as the disposable film cameras and with various digicams such as my current Canon Powershot s80.

I've been thinking about taking the plunge and getting a 'real' camera, and after some research have narrowed it kind of down to these two options:

The Nikon D200 for sheer power and versatility..
The Leica M8 for compact style and power..

I know they're both expensive cameras, but if they perform well for me, they're worth it. I'm mainly looking for something that can have a similar feel to a film camera in terms of responsiveness.. I want to to push the button and have the picture, none of this 'push the button and wait for the flash to power up, autofocus, and THEN picture' crap.

I guess I'm looking for the versatility to play with aperture and timing, but also to just point and shoot.

Any thoughts? Has anyone used both of these cameras?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 24, 2007, 07:38 PM

blicked  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 24, 2007, 11:31 PM

I have read the review for the Nikon D200, but the Leica reviews are sadly in short supply; the link you provided was for a 'preview', which was informative, but didn't have any sort of conclusion for it. I hadn't considered the Canon mainly because of the pixel resolution, but the review was very positive.

Has anyone actually used an M8? Can anyone vouch for its performance? I know about the magenta casting and IR sensitivity, but that actually makes me kind of excited.

art_director
Professional Poster
Feb 25, 2007, 12:26 PM

let me get this straight, you want to go from disposable cameras and the powershot s80 to a nikon d200?

do you realize that's like going from a '84 yugo to a ferarri?

you can get a wonderful camera like the nikon d70 in a kit w lens for under $1k. if you want to spend more you could also get a cannon 10d or 20d. i know several professional photographers who have these and keep them as backup for their primary cameras.

my point is that you're eager to spend money on more camera than you need or are probably ready for.

as for the leica, i'd hold off for a spell. it's still mighty new and they were slow to market. one editorial shooter i know has been a leica user for thirty years and she desperately wants that camera but is sticking with her canon 20d (10d backup) until it goes through a revision or three.

Railroader
Banned
Feb 26, 2007, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by art_director View Post
let me get this straight, you want to go from disposable cameras and the powershot s80 to a nikon d200?

do you realize that's like going from a '84 yugo to a ferarri?

you can get a wonderful camera like the nikon d70 in a kit w lens for under $1k. if you want to spend more you could also get a cannon 10d or 20d. i know several professional photographers who have these and keep them as backup for their primary cameras.

my point is that you're eager to spend money on more camera than you need or are probably ready for.

as for the leica, i'd hold off for a spell. it's still mighty new and they were slow to market. one editorial shooter i know has been a leica user for thirty years and she desperately wants that camera but is sticking with her canon 20d (10d backup) until it goes through a revision or three.
This is what I was thinking as well.

I'd suggest a cheaper [read: "starter"] Canon or Nikon DSLR and instead buy higher quality lenses. From my experience the best way to improve a camera is in the lens. A perfect example is http://www.topleftpixel.com/ That guy uses cheaper bodies and expensive lenses. And does some amazing work.

art_director
Professional Poster
Feb 26, 2007, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
This is what I was thinking as well.

I'd suggest a cheaper [read: "starter"] Canon or Nikon DSLR and instead buy higher quality lenses. From my experience the best way to improve a camera is in the lens. A perfect example is topleftpixel network That guy uses cheaper bodies and expensive lenses. And does some amazing work.
Railroader makes an excellent point: it's the glass.

Again, I echo his / her point -- get the less expensive camera body and put your dollars into glass.

th3ph17
Feb 26, 2007, 12:58 PM

i've shot Canon, Fuji, Nikon, kodak dslrs. They are all great. You can make an 11x17 print with a 6 megapixel fuji or canon and it looks great. Don't get caught up in the megapixel wars, as stated the Glass you put on the body is the most important part. The bodies are disposable in comparison. With that in mind, the lenses for the Leica are going to cost you as much as a D200. They start at around $950. For the money of a Leica and glass i'd buy the d200 or the canon 5d [which has a full frame sensor], or the 30D and some killer glass. That camera, as pretty as it is, is for people that already have $20k in glass for their film cameras.

riley46
Mar 18, 2007, 11:11 PM

I am also in the market for Nikon D200 SLR Digital Camera. I have been
reading expert reviews and that has been useful to me. It may be help you too. I had been using PCWorld.com, cnet.com to find reviews. Yesterday I used PriceGrabber’s expert review tab
(Expert Reviews - D200 SLR Digital Camera - Body Only (Nikon-25235)) and found a site (SmartRatings - Directory of Expert Product Reviews & Product Ratings) that aggregates expert reviews. It only covers a few categories but it is pretty neat. Just my $.02.

Forum Links
Forum Rules