Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPhone TV out not working

iPhone TV out not working
stevesnj
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2007, 09:12 PM

I have tried to do TV out from my iPhone using non-Apple cable adapter. The cable worked with my video iPod but not with my iPhone. Anyone have any luck with video out on the iPhone?
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

Cold Warrior
Sep 28, 2007, 09:28 PM

Is this even a feature? I haven't seen anything previously that the iPhone is supposed to do this as part of an advertised feature set.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2007, 09:32 PM

The new update adds this feature.

And from watching the video on the new features, the black-shirted creepy guy says that "with an Apple Branded Video Cable...", so it may be your cable. Of course, that could just be marketing-speak for "buy our stuff". But I'm assuming its your cable.

stevesnj  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2007, 09:42 PM

The 'Apple Branded' cable was supposed to be the only cable that worked on the iPod Video but all I did was buy a cable from Radio Shack and it worked on the iPod video. But I tried the same cable on the iPhone but no luck...I hope I dont have to buy the Apple cable. But I have use for this feature.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 29, 2007, 12:00 AM

I believe the iPhone and all the new iPods require an official Apple cable or an updated 3rd party cable for video output... they changed something so none of the old 3rd party cables work.

PBG4 User
Senior User
Sep 29, 2007, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
I believe the iPhone and all the new iPods require an official Apple cable or an updated 3rd party cable for video output... they changed something so none of the old 3rd party cables work.
Basically the newest iPods and iPhone requires cables with an Apple dongle (authorization chip) in order to activate video out. How very Microsoft Vista DRM-like.
20" iMac G5! :D AND MacBook 1.83GHz!
Canon Digital Rebel Kit + 75 - 300mm lens. Yum Yum! :D
Check out my OS X Musical Scales program

analogika
Posting Junkie
Sep 30, 2007, 05:52 AM

The new iPods and iPhone support higher-resolution video output than the old ones did.

I wonder whether this chip authorization scheme is just a way of ensuring that the cable can support the best quality (with the side effect of making Apple money through the officially authorized "Made for iPod" program).

The official Apple cable is $49, and now comes with a power supply.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 30, 2007, 08:02 AM

Actually, it's not just higher resolution.
Yes, you get 720x480 or 720x576 instead of the older video's 640x480. Yes you can get progressive output now on some models instead of just interlaced.

But it's better than that.

It's component video (R G B) instead of old style composite.

For RGB and audio, you're now talking about 6 or 9 connections ( Red, Green, Blue, L, R, and ground, or separate grounds for each video and one common for audio)

For the old style video, it was Video, L, R, so you could do the tip ring sleeve connection and get it all to fit on a headphone style 3.5mm connector.

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2007, 11:13 PM

I have the old Apple Branded cables/dock/etc. that was sold in that pack for $99 (i got it as a gift). I tried it with my iPhone and it doesn't work. Even if we have apple branded cords, we have to buy the newer ones? That kinda sucks...

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 30, 2007, 11:21 PM

Such is the price of progress.

Earth Mk. II
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2007, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by vmarks View Post
Actually, it's not just higher resolution.
Yes, you get 720x480 or 720x576 instead of the older video's 640x480. Yes you can get progressive output now on some models instead of just interlaced.

But it's better than that.

It's component video (R G B) instead of old style composite.

For RGB and audio, you're now talking about 6 or 9 connections ( Red, Green, Blue, L, R, and ground, or separate grounds for each video and one common for audio)

For the old style video, it was Video, L, R, so you could do the tip ring sleeve connection and get it all to fit on a headphone style 3.5mm connector.
Quoted because he's right.

The new video cable attaches to the dock connector and has component video out. The old style cables that fit into the headphone jack won't work, as there are simply not enough connectors.

Also... where is this chip-authorization business from? First I've heard of it.
/Earth\ Mk\.\ I{2}/

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2007, 10:35 AM

So these new cables aren't even available for purchase yet?

Earth Mk. II
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2007, 11:01 AM

/Earth\ Mk\.\ I{2}/

stevesnj  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2007, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Earth Mk. II View Post
The iPhone isn't even listed as a supported device for these cables.

drfun
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 1, 2007, 03:58 PM

I believe this is the official combination of devices to get TV out on the iPhone.

iPod and iPhone: TV Out support

Earth Mk. II
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2007, 04:11 PM

Touche, drfun... touche....
( Last edited by Earth Mk. II; Oct 1, 2007 at 04:14 PM. Reason: duplicate info.)
/Earth\ Mk\.\ I{2}/

stevesnj  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2007, 08:57 PM

Okay here's the deal I talked to Apple and there is a few scenarios to get TV out from the iPhone

Use thecurrent iPhone dock with the following cables;

Apple Composite AV Cable - MB129LL/A (Single Video Cable End usually Yellow colored)The Apple Store (U.S.) - Apple Composite AV Cable

Apple Component AV Cable - MB128LL/A - (y, Pb, Pr ONLY)The Apple Store (U.S.) - Apple Component AV Cable

OR...

The Apple Universal Dock (with Remote that WILL control SOME iPhone functions) - MB125G/A The Apple Store (U.S.) - Apple Universal Dock

And the above cables for your type of TV Video Input

As of this posting NONE of these cables or the Universal dock are available for up to 4 weeks
WHEW!!
( Last edited by stevesnj; Oct 1, 2007 at 09:04 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules