Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > 1.1.1 - DO NOT modify ringtone settings to keep old ones

1.1.1 - DO NOT modify ringtone settings to keep old ones
starman
Clinically Insane
Sep 28, 2007, 12:14 AM

Here's one thing I found about the 1.1.1 update. If you had custom-made ringtones, THEY ARE STILL THERE. I verified that with a contact's custom ringtone. However, I made one serious mistake which was to check if they were there in the first place. What happens is that as soon as you open the menu which shows your list of ringtones, your custom setting will disappear. However, if you never go to that menu, your ringtone will still be there, even if it's one you tricked the iPhone into installing.

To clarify: opening the menu will reset for that setting only. eg: global ringtone will not affect a contact's ringtone and vice-versa.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 28, 2007, 12:38 AM

Interesting. Well, I guess I'll just keep the ringtones I have set for the moment. It's not like I really need that many.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2007, 02:17 AM

Does your custom ringtone play when you use the volume buttons? Mine doesn't. I was worried that it may have been erased. Thankfully it played when my brother called.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

AC Rempt
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 28, 2007, 02:26 AM

Honestly, Apple has won this round for me. I have given up and downloaded to ringtones from the iTunes store, so I don't have to keep futzing with this. I've been using iToner, and I'm sure they'll do a update, and then Apple will and then iToner and then Apple . . .

Until they get this all squared away, I'll stick to Smoke on the Water for my girlfriend's ringtone and James Bond for mine. It's worth the 99 cents to me to have this done.

theDreamer
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 28, 2007, 11:10 AM

I did the same as AC Rempt, I noticed I could do this and keep my ring tones, but sooner or later I was going to want to change my ring tone (I had a couple that I like to rotate through). I just broke down and bought a couple of songs (even though I have CD versions) and also paid for the ring tone fee.

It is dreams that will survive, for a dream is immortal.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 28, 2007, 12:02 PM

The thing is that several of my ringtones aren't available from the iTunes store to begin with, and others are ones that I got from CDs. If I understand the process correctly, you have to have bought the song from iTunes first before you can convert it to a ringtone, which would mean that I'd have to pay twice for a song that I already own, which just seems ludicrous.

theDreamer
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 28, 2007, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by icruise View Post
The thing is that several of my ringtones aren't available from the iTunes store to begin with, and others are ones that I got from CDs. If I understand the process correctly, you have to have bought the song from iTunes first before you can convert it to a ringtone, which would mean that I'd have to pay twice for a song that I already own, which just seems ludicrous.
Yep, that is exactly correct.
My two songs are from Red Hot Chili Peppers, so they can be used, but I did some looking around iTunes and it is very limited to as what you can pick for a song to use. I do not really care for the price, it is more the hassle factor really, it was great for awhile to be able to just change the extension and have free ring tones, but after all the work Apple has gone through to stop this. Also all the work I would have to do to be able to have them is not worth it anymore, quicker to just pay $2 dollars (or 1.98 to be exact) and not have to worry anymore.

starman  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 28, 2007, 12:33 PM

Exactly. This is why, despite how cool the iPhone is, I'm started to dislike it a liiiiiitle bit.

starman  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 28, 2007, 12:34 PM

By the way, do you HAVE to see that ringtone logo next to a song in the iTMS for it to work as one? I ask only because I tried it on a song that didn't have it and it asked me to log into the store, which wouldn't make sense if it weren't allowed in the first place.

theDreamer
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 28, 2007, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
By the way, do you HAVE to see that ringtone logo next to a song in the iTMS for it to work as one? I ask only because I tried it on a song that didn't have it and it asked me to log into the store, which wouldn't make sense if it weren't allowed in the first place.
You have to have that icon.
What you do is click the icon and it comes up with a new box at the bottom with the song played out and you have a slider of 15-30 seconds you can pick your song from. Add fade in or fade out, after you are done you hit "Buy" and it adds that cut portion to your ring tone section and under your options to add to your iPhone.

starman  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 28, 2007, 12:49 PM

Ok. I was just wondering why the "log in" dialog came up at all instead of "hey, you can't do that".

No Time 4 Love Dr. Jones
Forum Regular
Sep 28, 2007, 01:02 PM

I only use one ringtone for all calls, and I'd be willing to pay the extra buck if I could get the song I want from the iTMS, but of course the song I want isn't available as a ringtone. The cat-and-mouse game I have to go through in order to get the ringtone onto the iPhone via a 3rd party app is just too much of a hassle, what with updates and syncing, so I guess I'm content to wait until they make Boards of Canada ringtone-able.

AC Rempt
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 28, 2007, 05:40 PM

Also, if you already own the song, having purchased it through iTunes, and it has the ringtone icon, you don't have to repurchase the song, just the right to make a ringtone.

In the end, I love so much about the iPhone that this isn't that big a deal for me, but I would like it to be resolved in such a way that I could use music I own from other sources with other programs if Apple doesn't want to tread into that territory.

Until then, it's James Bond, baby.

stacybre
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 28, 2007, 06:49 PM

If you are as upset as I am about not being allowed to use my own ringtones on the iPhone, then sign this petition:

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/cus...for-the-iphone

theDreamer
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 28, 2007, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by stacybre View Post
If you are as upset as I am about not being allowed to use my own ringtones on the iPhone, then sign this petition:

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/cus...for-the-iphone

Stop being upset, it is a business. If Apple wanted it to be easy and free they would never had stopped the first way of changing a song into a ring tone.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 28, 2007, 07:53 PM

Just because it's a business doesn't mean that you can't get upset about it, or make your feelings known. Things like that do something have results -- just look at the $100 iPhone credit. That said, online petitions accomplish almost nothing. You're better off writing a concise and well-reasoned email or letter to Steve Jobs.

theDreamer
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 28, 2007, 08:29 PM

Just because it's a business doesn't mean that you can't get upset about it, or make your feelings known. Things like that do something have results -- just look at the $100 iPhone credit. That said, online petitions accomplish almost nothing. You're better off writing a concise and well-reasoned email or letter to Steve Jobs.
That is true that if you are not happy to voice your opinion.
I feel that some things have no reason to voice an opinion as it will not change anything, Apple sees money in the ring tone service and they would be crazy to pass that up.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Sep 28, 2007, 09:26 PM

You guys are silly. You expected the $500 iPhone to have the same functionality as a $50 RAZR? I mean, come on, it's a $500 phone, you can't expect it to have all the same capabilities. If you want features like unbroken Bluetooth, you'll just have to pony up the extra -$450 and stop whining about it.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

PBG4 User
Senior User
Sep 29, 2007, 11:27 PM

Over at the Macrumors forum there's a guy saying that Makeiphoneringtone combined with iTunes 7.4.0 and a little persistence can be used to get ringtones onto a v1.1.1 iPhone. See this thread for instructions and post #5 for iTunes 7.4.0 download link. Grab it before Apple removes 7.4.0 from their download servers.
20" iMac G5! :D AND MacBook 1.83GHz!
Canon Digital Rebel Kit + 75 - 300mm lens. Yum Yum! :D
Check out my OS X Musical Scales program

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 29, 2007, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
You guys are silly. You expected the $500 iPhone to have the same functionality as a $50 RAZR? I mean, come on, it's a $500 phone, you can't expect it to have all the same capabilities. If you want features like unbroken Bluetooth, you'll just have to pony up the extra -$450 and stop whining about it.
Sad, but true in some respect.

-t

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 30, 2007, 08:17 AM

I'm still using iTunes 7.4.1 and iPhone 1.1.1 in combination with RogueAmoeba.com's Fission and MakeiPhoneRingTone.app and I can still make all the ringtones I wish. They all work as long as I don't update to a newer iTunes.

jamito
Sep 30, 2007, 07:32 PM

i've updated my iPhone firmware to 1.1.1 and i'm running iTunes 7.4.1. I'll verify that my ringtones are still working, but i have not tried to add any. i just set the ringtones i wanted before updating the firmware. all seems fine.
ibook 14", 600 mhz, 384mb ram
mbp 15", 2.2ghz SR C2D, 2 gb ram, 128vram, 20" ACD
powermac dc 2.3ghz, 2.5 gb ram, 20" ACD
3g 30gb ipod, 5g 60gb video ipod, 2g 4gb blue ipod nano, isight

Forum Links
Forum Rules