Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Using USB PCI card in g4

Using USB PCI card in g4
milhaus
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 30, 2000, 08:43 PM

Does this cause conflicts? Anybody using this setup? I have a ton of peripherals, and would rather have the extra 12Mbps ports than have all of them attached to one.
Thx.
|Desktop:|Abit NFS7 Athlon 3200+, 1GIG RAM, DVD-R (A05) CDRW (52x), 1X200GIG, 1X160GIG, 2X120GIG, ATI Radeon 9800Pro, Samsung 172x Win XP Pro SP2
|Laptop:| Powerbook G4 12" 1.33ghz AE BT 768MB 10.3
|Laptop 2:| Compaq 1050CA 1.4ghz Centrino 512MB Win XP Home

Misha
Professional Poster
Oct 30, 2000, 09:09 PM

Works like a champ... I'd recommend Entrega's 4-port card for maximum Port-a-ability.

jlb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 31, 2000, 11:00 PM

It should just work like additional built-in ports on your G4. The only caveat is that you may or may not need extensions to drive the card.

-jlb

ndpatel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 2, 2000, 02:42 AM

works fine with my keyspan 2-port'er. no drivers needed, just sock it in and go. to power on from the keyboard, though, it needs to be plugged into the built-in ports.

mrbill
Dec 10, 2000, 07:44 PM

Another thread in peripherals suggested getting a card with separate busses for each port. Why are separate busses superior--fewer USB conflicts? more power?--and does the Entrega have separate busses?

I seem to have been having USB conflicts (crashes--also caps, num, and scroll locks coming on at random) when my Intellimouse optical and printer were plugged into a hub.

Now the conflicts have stopped after a clean install, with Macsense USB-600 keyboard and Intellimouse Optical plugged directly into the computer--the mouse sometimes freezes when plugged into the Macsense keyboard--and no other devices yet installed.

Might a card with separate busses help?

AGP G4 400

[This message has been edited by mrbill (edited 12-10-2000).]

mrbill
Dec 10, 2000, 08:17 PM

Another thread in suggested getting a card with seperate busses for each port. Why are seperate busses superior--fewer USB conflicts?--and does the Entrega have seperate busses?

Misha
Professional Poster
Dec 11, 2000, 08:26 AM

A USB bus is 11 Mbps. If you have 4 devices on one bus, they must share that bandwidth. If all are accessing it at the same time, devices like printers, scanners, and Zip drives will slow down.

It used to be with Macs (and I think it still is with all PCI cards), that all the USB ports share one bus. On newer Macs, Apple gave each USB port its own bus.

If you have independent busses, you can use more devices since you effectively have more bandwidth.

Gregory
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 11, 2000, 09:00 AM

I bought the XLR8 Dual-Port USB PCI for my B&W because it has more power on each port than built-in - that allows some devices that otherwise would need their own AC power to work - AND each port had its own controller for 11Mbps. It's only a 2-port card. Bought it 8/99 for $44 and now sells for 1/2 that, and there are 4-port cards. But much better than having to have a hub, have another A/C adapter plug. And allows printer to be further away - up to 15'.

I wish Apple would do little things like iMac and G4's w/ 4-port USB, USB 2.0. It was shocking to read what problems early adopters of USB (iMac Rev A-D) had with printers and other devices and a mess of hubs and cables, driver conflicts, vendors selling USB disk drives that are like huge big slow floppies etc. and "unplug when restarting, then plug back in" as a "fix." Junk science.

Forum Links
Forum Rules