Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > 3G iPhone Questions without answers

3G iPhone Questions without answers
Charles_in_Charge
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 18, 2008, 11:09 AM

OK, I have called ATT and I have called Apple stores to try to find out the answers to some of these questions but no one seems to be able to answer them for me.

1) If I currently have an iphone, can I buy a new 3g iphone for $199? Or is that price only for new AT&T contracts?

2) Since AT&T doesn't offer damage protection or insurance on the iphones, what if mine breaks? Will a new one be $400 or something crazy? Because I KNOW they won't let me buy a new one for $199 without some kind of contract (since AT&T is actually paying for part of the 3g iphones--that's why it is cheaper)

If anyone has any input, I would appreciate it!

64stang06
Mac Elite
Jun 18, 2008, 11:18 AM

1) It was posted that if you're a current iPhone customer, you'll pay the subsidized fee.
2) There is AppleCare for the iPhone, $69. Does not cover accidental damage or dropping though.
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2008, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Charles_in_Charge View Post
1) If I currently have an iphone, can I buy a new 3g iphone for $199? Or is that price only for new AT&T contracts?
YES
2) Since AT&T doesn't offer damage protection or insurance on the iphones, what if mine breaks? Will a new one be $400 or something crazy? Because I KNOW they won't let me buy a new one for $199 without some kind of contract (since AT&T is actually paying for part of the 3g iphones--that's why it is cheaper)
You break it, then you're on the hook to paying the full non-subsidized amount of the iPhone.

amazing
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2008, 11:51 AM

The lack of insurance for $5.99/month (whatever) is a bit of a deal-breaker. Theft or loss, and boom, you're due for a huge financial shock.

GuyWithACamera
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 18, 2008, 12:12 PM

Too bad safeware didn't have iPhone coverage. I'd probably make sure my homeowner's policy covered it since my laptop is. Check with your insurer for something like personal articles coverage.
I have no lid upon my head. But if I did, you
could look iniside and see what's on my
mind.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 18, 2008, 12:24 PM

We don't know what the unsubsidized price is either... and it's kind of a big deal.

I bet it's the original $399 for an 8 gig and $599 for a 16 gig.

There are a ton of questions out there.

We need to know the exact details of the AT&T plans.
We need to know how much they will charge current customers who want to upgrade.
We need to know what the unsubsidized price is.
We need to know exactly what is involved with activating it in-store.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Charles_in_Charge  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 18, 2008, 12:37 PM

When I called the Apple Store, they said "all the information you will need is on Apple's website." Well, all that's on there is sales information, information about where to buy and the new features. Nothing about plans or fees at all. Apparently they don't care about details, just about selling phones.

I like the last iPhone launch better. At least we knew what we would be paying ahead of time.

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Jun 18, 2008, 12:44 PM

They only posted the rates about a week (maybe even less) before the last launch.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 18, 2008, 12:50 PM

Yeah, it was just as bad, if not worse last time. There were many unanswered questions.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

PBG4 User
Senior User
Jun 18, 2008, 01:59 PM

One big question I have is, if I decide to get iPhone 2.0, will Apple unlock my iPhone 1.0? Or will it be useless w/o a contract. What if I decide to hold onto my iPhone until my 2 years are up? Will Apple unlock it then?
20" iMac G5! :D AND MacBook 1.83GHz!
Canon Digital Rebel Kit + 75 - 300mm lens. Yum Yum! :D
Check out my OS X Musical Scales program

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2008, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by PBG4 User View Post
One big question I have is, if I decide to get iPhone 2.0, will Apple unlock my iPhone 1.0?
I don't that's a big question. The answer is simple, of course apple is not going to willingly unlock it. I think if you give it/sell it you'll need to do it within the confines of using AT&T

CorpITGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 18, 2008, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by MacosNerd View Post
I don't that's a big question. The answer is simple, of course apple is not going to willingly unlock it. I think if you give it/sell it you'll need to do it within the confines of using AT&T
Or just Jailbreak/Unlock using the unsupported, warranty-breaking methods.
"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." - Winston Churchill

MacBook Pro 17" 2.33 GHz - (mine)
MacBook Pro 15" 1.83 GHz - (wife)
Pair of iPhones

Charles_in_Charge  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 18, 2008, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by PBG4 User View Post
One big question I have is, if I decide to get iPhone 2.0, will Apple unlock my iPhone 1.0? Or will it be useless w/o a contract. What if I decide to hold onto my iPhone until my 2 years are up? Will Apple unlock it then?
I seriously doubt it. I would assume that either a) it's an expensive paperweight or b) you *might* be able to keep it as a backup in case your new one goes down. But not even sure about that.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Jun 18, 2008, 04:18 PM

Your old iPhone will function as if it had no SIM but had already been activated (basically it'll be an iPod touch).

PBG4 User
Senior User
Jun 19, 2008, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by boy8cookie View Post
Your old iPhone will function as if it had no SIM but had already been activated (basically it'll be an iPod touch).
This is what I'd like to happen, but I thought without the phone being attached to a valid account it would deactivate after a set period of time?
20" iMac G5! :D AND MacBook 1.83GHz!
Canon Digital Rebel Kit + 75 - 300mm lens. Yum Yum! :D
Check out my OS X Musical Scales program

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 19, 2008, 03:22 PM

You'll basically have an iPod Touch with 2.0 software.

Personally, I'm thinking of getting a 3H phone then jailbreaking my current one and messing around with it that way.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Forum Links
Forum Rules