Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Canada gets DO NOT CALL registry in fall. Exempts political parties, charities, etc.

Canada gets DO NOT CALL registry in fall. Exempts political parties, charities, etc.
Eug
Clinically Insane
Jul 31, 2008, 04:11 PM

http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_25262.aspx
http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/INFO_SHT/t1026.htm

Well, that seems like a pretty pointless do not call registry to me.

1) I hate being called by political parties. Here's a hint though. If they call, just say you're voting for them. They're happy and end the call right away.
2) I don't like being called by charities, even when I'm already donating to them. I donate as much money as I want to donate. If you're a charity and I'm giving you a couple of hundred that year, if you keep calling me I'm going to donate less next time because you're irritating me.
3) Opinion pollsters are exempt too. I wonder just how many new "pollsters" are going to start popping up.
4) Newspaper sales drones. Why the frack are they exempted?

Telemarketers will not be allowed to call you, and as a result, you should receive fewer unsolicited calls. Calls made on behalf of organizations or made for certain purposes as listed below, are exempt from the National DNCL rules:

* registered charities;
* political parties;
* nomination contestants, leadership contestants or candidates of a political party;
* opinion polling firms or market research firms conducting surveys when the call does not involve the sale of a product or service;
* general circulation newspapers calling for the purpose of selling a subscription;
* to a consumer who has an existing business relationship with the organization; and
* to business consumers.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Jul 31, 2008, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Here's a hint though. If they call, just say you're voting for them. They're happy and end the call right away.
Here's an even better hint. Hang up on them. Don't say a word. As soon as they tell you they're with "whatever," just hang up. Only get (politely) nasty if they call you back.

I've only had one person call me back. And I politely interrupted them and said, "Excuse me, I hung up on you because I don't want to talk to you. I am going to hang up on you again now. If you call me back again, I will have the call traced and report it as harassment." Then I hung up on them again. Didn't get called back.

Uncle Doof
Senior User
Jul 31, 2008, 05:45 PM

Death metal voice and Darth Vader breathing always seems to get them to hang up.
If you don't want to be eaten, stop acting like food

64stang06
Mac Elite
Jul 31, 2008, 08:51 PM

Well, that's how it is in the US also. I've received a few calls with a recording stating that they were exempt from the do not call list (political parties and charities so far).
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jul 31, 2008, 09:07 PM

I used to wait for them to finish their bit and then politely tell them that I wasn't interested. Now, I tell them to remove me from their call list and hang up after they acknowledge.

Visnaut
Senior User
Jul 31, 2008, 09:30 PM

What a load. Companies that make calls "on behalf" of registered charities are such a scam. I know this because I used to work for one of them. Charity Z signs a piece of paper that lets Telemarketer X use their name to raise funds for a period of time, in exchange for a specified dollar amount that that Charity Z needs pronto. Telemarketer X makes that money back in days and then coasts through the full period allowed in the contract, making pure profit all the way, sometimes for months.

If that doesn't seem right to you, then I suggest you stop supporting charities that sell out their name in exchange for easy money.

In the meantime, this stupid list does nothing to weed out the most annoying calls. Thanks Harper and Friends! Big business can sleep easy knowing you have their interests at heart.

Salty
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2008, 03:35 AM

I think one of the reasons why market research firms would be excluded is probably because there's a couple call centres I know at least in Winnipeg that probably make a lot of capital and provide jobs for a lot of people, including some people too dumb to work else where.

Forum Links
Forum Rules