Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > New Apple iMac gets thinner body, Fusion Drive option

New Apple iMac gets thinner body, Fusion Drive option
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Oct 23, 2012, 10:03 AM

At the Apple event, the iMac got its first refresh in three years. It will now get Intel's Ivy Bridge Core i5 and Core i7 processors. The edges of the computer are just 5mm thick, with the new computer 80 percent thinner than the earlier one. Apple had to use a new production method to fuse the display with the glass, eliminating the air gap. As before, the iMac will be available in a 21.5- and 27-inch screen size.

The smaller model has 1080p resolution, while the larger one crams in 2,560x1,400 pixels. An anti-reflective coating was added to the display via plasma deposition. It's touted to reduce reflections by 75 percent and all are said to be individually calibrated before shipping. Finally, the IPS display is said to offer 178-degree viewing angles and 300 nits of brightness. Otherwise, there is a 720p front camera embedded along with dual microphones and stereo speakers. Also found inside the iMac is NVIDIA's GeForce 600-level graphics and as much as 32GB of RAM. A new Fusion Drive will be offered for the first time. It combines 128GB of flash storage and either a 1TB or 3TB hard drive fused into a single volume. It offers faster read and write speeds than just a hard drive, and its operation is seamless. The computer is said to learn the most commonly used programs and tasks by a user and prioritize them by placing them in the flash partition. Otherwise, users can opt for a 768GB SSD or a number of hard drives that top out at 3TB in capacity. An optical drive is gone, with an external one that connects over USB available. The starting price of the iMac has gone up by $100, with the new models costing a minimum of $1,299. The smaller model ships in November, with the larger one due in December, with prices for that one starting at $1,799. Both get 8GB of RAM and 1TB hard drives standard, with the 21.5-inch model powered by a 2.7GHz i5 CPU, while the 27.5-inch version getting a 2.9GHz processor.

Geordiekeith
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 23, 2012, 11:29 AM

Looks like Fusion Drive is a $250 premium, better than the $600 for a 256 GB SSD in the current, but will the RAM still be user upgradeable?

testudo
Forum Regular
Oct 23, 2012, 11:33 AM

It's Apple, so of course the most important thing is 'thin'. Don't care whether memory is upgradable, or the hard drive (which, I'm guessing, has been cut down to a laptop-style drive for space?) or cost (especially cost).

Because, and I can attest to this from my times in Apple stores, the biggest complaint I would always hear is "Man, I'd buy an iMac, but look, it's like an inch thick! What kind of crap is that? I might as well by a Dell desktop computer, it takes up nearly as much space!" (or something like that). Now that they've got rid of the all-important thickness issue, people will flock in droves!

testudo
Forum Regular
Oct 23, 2012, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Geordiekeith View Post
Looks like Fusion Drive is a $250 premium, better than the $600 for a 256 GB SSD in the current, but will the RAM still be user upgradeable?
As the web site says:

" Or add more memory to the 27-inch model yourself by popping open the easy-to-access memory panel on the back."

So, um, yes, as long as you get the big screen version...

Geordiekeith
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 23, 2012, 12:04 PM

Never thought I would be grateful to Testudo, but thanks for poiting that out, and yes...I have waited most of the year so December is not too much longer to shell out for the 27". Might even preorder the RAM.

Omek
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 23, 2012, 02:12 PM

How convenient that they've now suddenly sealed the display and shielded it from the hot hardware. The lack of shielding was the problem with the 2009-2011 iMacs displays. All the yellow screens and grey smudges were caused by the display being right next to the hot hardware.

Apple didn't want to admit there was a hardware design problem, because then they'd have to do a recall. So I'm hoping 2009-2011 iMac owners will be able to exchange their iMacs for these re-designed ones.

https://discussions.apple.com/message/20115855?ac_cid=tw123456#20115855

http://www.change.org/petitions/apple-recall-the-2009-2011-imacs

Forum Links
Forum Rules