Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Syncing 2 computers w/ OE

Syncing 2 computers w/ OE
goatman
May 20, 2000, 11:21 AM

If you have a PowerBook and a desktop, is there any way to synchronize the contents of the mail folders? If you just sync up to the most recent version on the database file, you're not getting some mail business that happened on the other computer slightly before.

jaguarandi
Mac Enthusiast
May 22, 2000, 10:28 AM

Goatman, I've been trying to do the same thing with an iBook and a G4 with OE 5.0.2 and haven't come up with a full-proof answer. One thing you *can* do is to leave the 'leave messages on server' option on. This way you can download messages on your Powerbook and then retrieve them later on your desktop machine.

If you don't need to download the message again on your desktop Mac, you can choose 'delete from server at next connection'by clicking the little icon that looks like a network drive in front of each message, then reconnecting to your mail server.

If anyone else has a better idea, I'm all ears

/eric

pcp_ip
Forum Regular
May 22, 2000, 10:52 AM

i've been replacing the OE Main Identity directory with whichever one is the most recent. i get too much mail, and too big of attachements to be able to leave stuff on the server.

------------------

http://www.studio2f.co
m

Tim
May 22, 2000, 02:59 PM

Originally posted by goatman:
If you have a PowerBook and a desktop, is there any way to synchronize the contents of the mail folders? If you just sync up to the most recent version on the database file, you're not getting some mail business that happened on the other computer slightly before.
Yes - Copy the Database, Messages, and Database Cache files from the Identity folder (Main Identity in my case) to the same folder on the second computer. The PITA factor of this process is high, but it got me the results I wanted.

herbert68
May 22, 2000, 03:07 PM

PITA factor?

ndpatel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 22, 2000, 06:23 PM

if your desktop has os 9 and a fulltime internet connection, you can share the folder over IP with the "main identity" folder on it and replace those files on the pb with aliases back to the desktop files. that way both copies of the app are uing the same DB files. i use this method everyday at work. it's kind kludge-y, but it works well once set up.

--nilay

[This message has been edited by ndpatel (edited 05-22-2000).]

jeffreyloaf
May 22, 2000, 10:45 PM

My guess would be, pain in the ah-so.
In god we trust/ Cash is king /All others pay thru the nose

Forum Links
Forum Rules