Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > firewire in rev.A ibook?

firewire in rev.A ibook?
ndpatel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2001, 03:55 PM

hey--
i remember a while ago a few people were trying to activate the firewire controller on their rev. a ibooks by putting in the connector. was this ever successful? i have a friend who wants an ipod (and is willing to pay for it ) but it would useless for her, as she doesn't have firewire...

thanks a lot--
nilay

Walker
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 24, 2001, 04:16 PM

A new sonnet 500 mh iMac processor upgrade should be out soon. I think it is called Harmoni. It will also add firewire ports.
I believe the list price is $299.

lw

ndpatel  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2001, 04:50 PM

the harmoni upgrade is for the imac, dude. not the ibook. thanks for the help tho.

--nilay

Walker
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 24, 2001, 07:00 PM

sorry...should have read your posting more closely. My bad.

lw

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 25, 2001, 12:18 PM

nilay,

it's potentially possible, and I was going to do it, but my plans were put to a halt when fedex stole my ibook in shipping.

You need to get the proper Lucent firewire PHY chip, FW-801.
Go to lucent / agere's site and get the data sheet on that chip.

get the discretes (resistors / capacitors, etc.) as specified on the data sheet.

You'll have to use a low wattage fine point soldering iron to do the surface mount soldering by hand. There's a guy at my workplace who has the $700 soldering equipment to do it like the pro's do. I was going to have him do it.

In a pinch, if you use a pin or needle in a regular low watt iron, with metal jammed in to make up the difference in diameter of the pin to the regular soldering tip, you can do this.

Use an ohm-meter to trace back which pins lead to which points on the logic board for the discretes. This is fairly straightforward, and if the following conditions are met, should work:

1)you have the chip and discretes in properly
2)either you don't have to patch open firmware, or you can get it to load open firmware for the rev.c iBook, or you can alter open firmware on your own. (open firmware is made by Sun, and there are docs available on it)

Contact me if you want some more info on this, I really was gearing up to do it.

Victor Marks
[email protected]
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

Forum Links
Forum Rules