Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > *** Important: UBB v6.04e upgrade

*** Important: UBB v6.04e upgrade (Page 3)
Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 3, 2001, 05:13 PM

I also liked the column for who posted the last reply (perhaps it was in hte last post, as in <DATE> by Blah the User

Hope that makes sense

Retrograde
Forum Regular
Jun 3, 2001, 05:23 PM

This is probably something that you already know and is perhaps inconsequential in any case but:

at the top of the page where you see ">" is displayed something slightly different when viewing with a text browser such as WannaBe. Instead I have displayed:

script language="JavaScript"> >

Probably useless to you but what the hey.
Ceci n'est pas une pomme. Magritte

pahroza
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 3, 2001, 05:31 PM

Originally posted by Retrograde:
<STRONG>This is probably something that you already know and is perhaps inconsequential in any case but:

at the top of the page where you see "&gt;" is displayed something slightly different when viewing with a text browser such as WannaBe. Instead I have displayed:

script language="JavaScript"&gt; &gt;

Probably useless to you but what the hey. </STRONG>
It shouldn't be useless, you're right, it should be fixed. Additionally, half of the code doesn't have it's attributes quoted, and the other half does. As long as the pages load though, it's fine by me.

Just a brief note. My only gripe is that the pages now load much, much slower than they did previously.

AlbertWu
Professional Poster
Jun 3, 2001, 05:31 PM

Originally posted by gorgonzola:
<STRONG>Alnora does it that way, and it's nice.</STRONG>
It's part of ikonBoard.
Ad Astra Per Aspera - Semper Exploro

GK
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 3, 2001, 05:37 PM

It's pretty fast here. (T1)

Retrograde
Forum Regular
Jun 3, 2001, 05:47 PM

Originally posted by pahroza:
<STRONG>
Just a brief note. My only gripe is that the pages now load much, much slower than they did previously.</STRONG>
Yes, I too find the pages load more slowly.

I'm also not too sure about this rating business. If it turns into a popularity contest then that will be a shame. But as a method of saying, "Hey, that was a really good post" it could be nice. Of course, one could always just reply to the post instead At least it can be disabled by those who dislike it.

By the way, is AppleInsider going to be updated to UBB 6 too?
Ceci n'est pas une pomme. Magritte

etphonehome
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 3, 2001, 06:25 PM

<font color = red>I like the new features. Putting smilies in is now way too easy. :o (See what I mean?) I think the "Instant UBB Code" thing is useless. For me, at least, it's easier to type the code in than to remove my fingers from the keyboard, grab on to the mouse, click on the appropriate button, and then start typing again. I also would like the post counts and the dates registered back, and I see that's going to happen soon.</font>

<font color = green>By the way, I like the new colors!! Could you post a list of all the colors you can use?? The "Instant UBB Code" thing always puts up red.</font>

<font color = blue>[edit-It only lets you use red, blue, and green. ]</font>

[ 06-03-2001: Message edited by: etphonehome ]

[ 06-03-2001: Message edited by: etphonehome ]
<font color = blue>"Thank god for adequacy.</font> <font color = green>It gives people who </font><font color = red>suck </font><font color = green>something to strive for."</font>

[email protected]

andymcdeee
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 3, 2001, 06:37 PM

Just screwing around playing. <font color = green> You may ignore this message. </font>There's nothing to it. <font color = blue> Just a bunch of crap. </font>

Oooooohhhhh, nice :o

mindwaves
Jun 3, 2001, 06:49 PM

ick, I hate editing posts with
<font color = red> colors </font>

[ 06-03-2001: Message edited by: mindwaves ]

parallax
Admin Emeritus
Jun 3, 2001, 06:53 PM

Originally posted by mindwaves:
<STRONG>I love the enlarged text box. very neat. and also <font color = red> colors</font>, not <font color = blue> colours </font> as <font color = green> Albert </font> would say
</STRONG>
Thanks

Let's see if this within quote tags is fine.
"Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain" (Schiller)

parallax
Admin Emeritus
Jun 3, 2001, 06:56 PM

<font color = red>Sorry</font> <font color = green>about</font> that <font color = blue>mindwaves</font>.

I'll fix it as soon as I get OK'ed from Monish that <font color = red>colors</font>/<font face = "courier">tt</font> are fine.

poocat
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2001, 07:06 PM

dope!

this is hot.
i'm glad to see you've all been working hard, improving the fora we like so much.

it's silly but nice to have the smilies and the instant ubb stuff so easily available... i'd say don't remove it unless there's a giant outcry, it's easier for people who don't know ubb very well...

good job!
i'm impressed with all of you.

oh yeah, how come we can't rate cipher? i mean, that's sort of silly.

ah well.
i am willing to give you forever to update/hack, because that's what this is all about...
good work. thanks so much for the time/energy, we really do appreciate it!

poocat.
"The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive."
-Robert A. Heinlein, Job

misc
Jun 3, 2001, 07:16 PM

Originally posted by Retrograde:
<STRONG>This is probably something that you already know and is perhaps inconsequential in any case but:

at the top of the page where you see "&gt;" is displayed something slightly different when viewing with a text browser such as WannaBe. Instead I have displayed:

script language="JavaScript"&gt; &gt;

Probably useless to you but what the hey. </STRONG>
Yep, thats the problem. If you look at the end of the line you will see &lt;/script&gt; &gt;, and that is causing the &gt; problem. Gorgonzola will find it soon and change it.

"And after we are through, ten years in making it to be the most of glorious debuts."

edddeduck
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2001, 07:36 PM

Yo Gzl

What was that about moderating forums ???

I might be interested

Cheers Edd

tie
Professional Poster
Jun 3, 2001, 07:51 PM

<font color = blue>I</font><font color = red> </font><font color = green>t</font>h<font color = blue>i</font><font color = red>n</font><font color = green>k</font> <font color = blue>I</font><font color = red>'</font><font color = green>m</font> <font color = blue>r</font><font color = red>e</font><font color = green>a</font>l<font color = blue>l</font><font color = red>y</font><font color = green> </font>g<font color = blue>o</font><font color = red>i</font><font color = green>n</font>g<font color = blue> </font><font color = red>t</font><font color = green>o</font> <font color = blue>l</font><font color = red>i</font><font color = green>k</font>e<font color = blue> </font><font color = red>i</font><font color = green>t</font>.
<font color = blue>F</font><font color = red>o</font><font color = green>r</font> <font color = blue>s</font><font color = red>o</font><font color = green>m</font>e<font color = blue> </font><font color = red>r</font><font color = green>e</font>a<font color = blue>s</font><font color = red>o</font><font color = green>n</font>,<font color = blue> </font><font color = red>t</font><font color = green>h</font>o<font color = blue>u</font><font color = red>g</font><font color = green>h</font>,<font color = blue> </font><font color = red>m</font><font color = green>a</font>k<font color = blue>i</font><font color = red>n</font><font color = green>g</font> <font color = blue>v</font><font color = red>e</font><font color = green>r</font>y<font color = blue> </font><font color = red>l</font><font color = green>o</font>n<font color = blue>g</font><font color = red> </font><font color = green>s</font>t<font color = blue>r</font><font color = red>i</font><font color = green>n</font>g<font color = blue>s</font><font color = red> </font><font color = green>w</font>i<font color = blue>t</font><font color = red>h</font><font color = green> </font>n<font color = blue>o</font><font color = red> </font><font color = green>b</font>r<font color = blue>e</font><font color = red>a</font><font color = green>k</font>s<font color = blue> </font><font color = red>m</font><font color = green>e</font>s<font color = blue>s</font><font color = red>e</font><font color = green>s</font> <font color = blue>u</font><font color = red>p</font><font color = green> </font>t<font color = blue>h</font><font color = red>e</font><font color = green> </font>c<font color = blue>o</font><font color = red>l</font><font color = green>o</font>r<font color = blue> </font><font color = red>t</font><font color = green>a</font>g<font color = blue>s</font><font color = red>.</font>
<font color = blue>B</font><font color = red>a</font><font color = green>s</font>i<font color = blue>c</font><font color = red>a</font><font color = green>l</font>l<font color = blue>y</font><font color = red>,</font>[color=gree n] [/color]i<font color = blue>t</font><font color = red> </font><font color = green>i</font>n<font color = blue>s</font><font color = red>e</font><font color = green>r</font>t<font color = blue>s</font><font color = red> </font><font color = green>a</font>n<font color = blue> </font><font color = red>e</font><font color = green>x</font>t<font color = blue>r</font><font color = red>a</font><font color = green> </font>s<font color = blue>p</font><font color = red>a</font><font color = green>c</font>e<font color = blue> </font><font color = red>i</font><font color = green>n</font> <font color = blue>t</font><font color = red>h</font><font color = green>e</font> <font color = blue>m</font><font color = red>i</font><font color = green>d</font>d<font color = blue>l</font><font color = red>e</font><font color = green> </font>o<font color = blue>f</font><font color = red> </font><font color = green>t</font>h<font color = blue>e</font><font color = red> </font><font color = green>s</font>t<font color = blue>r</font><font color = red>i</font><font color = green>n</font>g<font color = blue>,</font><font color = red> </font><font color = green>b</font>r<font color = blue>e</font><font color = red>a</font><font color = green>k</font>i<font color = blue>n</font><font color = red>g</font><font color = green> </font>a<font color = blue> </font><font color = red>c</font><font color = green>o</font>l<font color = blue>o</font><font color = red>r</font><font color = green> </font>t<font color = blue>a</font><font color = red>g</font><font color = green>.</font>
<font color = blue>I</font><font color = red>'</font><font color = green>m</font> <font color = blue>n</font><font color = red>o</font><font color = green>t</font> <font color = blue>s</font><font color = red>u</font><font color = green>r</font>e<font color = blue> </font><font color = red>w</font><font color = green>h</font>y<font color = blue> </font><font color = red>t</font><font color = green>h</font>i<font color = blue>s</font><font color = red> </font><font color = green>i</font>s<font color = blue> </font><font color = red>h</font><font color = green>a</font>p<font color = blue>p</font><font color = red>e</font><font color = green>n</font>i<font color = blue>n</font><font color = red>g</font><font color = green>.</font>
<font color = blue>A</font><font color = red>t</font><font color = green> </font>f<font color = blue>i</font><font color = red>r</font><font color = green>s</font>t<font color = blue>,</font><font color = red> </font><font color = green>I</font> <font color = blue>t</font><font color = red>h</font><font color = green>o</font>u<font color = blue>g</font><font color = red>h</font><font color = green>t</font> <font color = blue>i</font><font color = red>t</font><font color = green> </font>h<font color = blue>a</font><font color = red>d</font><font color = green> </font>s<font color = blue>o</font><font color = red>m</font><font color = green>e</font>t<font color = blue>h</font><font color = red>i</font><font color = green>n</font>g<font color = blue> </font><font color = red>t</font><font color = green>o</font> <font color = blue>d</font><font color = red>o</font><font color = green> </font>w<font color = blue>i</font><font color = red>t</font><font color = green>h</font> <font color = blue>p</font><font color = red>u</font><font color = green>n</font>c<font color = blue>t</font><font color = red>u</font><font color = green>a</font>t<font color = blue>i</font><font color = red>o</font>[color=gree n]n[/color] <font color = blue>c</font><font color = red>h</font><font color = green>a</font>r<font color = blue>a</font><font color = red>c</font><font color = green>t</font>e<font color = blue>r</font><font color = red>s</font>[color=gree n],[/color] <font color = blue>b</font><font color = red>u</font><font color = green>t</font> <font color = blue>t</font><font color = red>h</font><font color = green>a</font>t<font color = blue> </font><font color = red>d</font><font color = green>o</font>e<font color = blue>s</font><font color = red>n</font><font color = green>'</font>t<font color = blue> </font><font color = red>s</font><font color = green>e</font>e<font color = blue>m</font><font color = red> </font><font color = green>t</font>o<font color = blue> </font><font color = red>b</font><font color = green>e</font> <font color = blue>t</font><font color = red>h</font><font color = green>e</font> <font color = blue>p</font><font color = red>r</font><font color = green>o</font>b<font color = blue>l</font><font color = red>e</font><font color = green>m</font>.
<font color = blue>H</font><font color = red>m</font><font color = green>m</font>.<font color = blue>.</font><font color = red> </font><font color = green>:</font>)

[ 06-03-2001: Message edited by: tie ]
The 4 o'clock train will be a bus.
It will depart at 20 minutes to 5.

Macinstine
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 3, 2001, 08:02 PM

Test thisis only a test. If this had been a real message you might have cared.

Norm1985
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2001, 08:04 PM

Cool. Now I can type completly in Indigo Blue. My favorite color.

[email protected]
AIM: Norm1985

parallax
Admin Emeritus
Jun 3, 2001, 08:05 PM

My god! It's difficult to color stuff. It's like a tounge-twister.

Well, I'm probably not going to add other colors. Look what RGB is doing already

[ 06-03-2001: Message edited by: parallax ]

tie
Professional Poster
Jun 3, 2001, 08:10 PM

<font color = blue>I</font><font color = red>'</font><font color = green>m</font> <font color = blue>w</font><font color = red>o</font><font color = green>r</font>r<font color = blue>i</font><font color = red>e</font><font color = green>d</font> <font color = blue>t</font><font color = red>h</font><font color = green>a</font>t<font color = blue> </font><font color = red>t</font><font color = green>h</font>e<font color = blue>s</font><font color = red>e</font><font color = green> </font>c<font color = blue>o</font><font color = red>l</font><font color = green>o</font>r<font color = blue> </font><font color = red>t</font><font color = green>a</font>g<font color = blue>s</font><font color = red> </font><font color = green>a</font>r<font color = blue>e</font><font color = red> </font><font color = green>g</font>o<font color = blue>i</font><font color = red>n</font><font color = green>g</font> <font color = blue>t</font><font color = red>o</font><font color = green> </font>b<font color = blue>e</font><font color = red> </font><font color = green>t</font>o<font color = blue>o</font><font color = red> </font><font color = green>e</font>a<font color = blue>s</font><font color = red>y</font><font color = green> </font>t<font color = blue>o</font><font color = red> </font><font color = green>a</font>b<font color = blue>u</font><font color = red>s</font><font color = green>e</font>,<font color = blue> </font><font color = red>a</font><font color = green>n</font>d<font color = blue> </font><font color = red>t</font><font color = green>h</font>a<font color = blue>t</font><font color = red> </font><font color = green>w</font>e<font color = blue>'</font><font color = red>l</font><font color = green>l</font> <font color = blue>e</font><font color = red>n</font><font color = green>d</font> <font color = blue>u</font><font color = red>p</font><font color = green> </font>w<font color = blue>i</font><font color = red>t</font><font color = green>h</font> <font color = blue>a</font><font color = red> </font><font color = green>l</font>o<font color = blue>t</font><font color = red> </font><font color = green>o</font>f<font color = blue> </font><font color = red>a</font><font color = green>n</font>n<font color = blue>o</font><font color = red>y</font><font color = green>i</font>n<font color = blue>g</font><font color = red>l</font><font color = green>y</font>-[ color=blue]c[/color]<font color = red>o</font><font color = green>l</font>o<font color = blue>r</font><font color = red>e</font><font color = green>d</font> <font color = blue>p</font><font color = red>o</font><font color = green>s</font>t<font color = blue>s</font><font color = red>.</font><font color = green> </font> <font color = blue>O</font><font color = red>n</font><font color = green> </font>t<font color = blue>h</font><font color = red>e</font><font color = green> </font>o<font color = blue>t</font><font color = red>h</font><font color = green>e</font>r<font color = blue> </font><font color = red>h</font><font color = green>a</font>n<font color = blue>d</font><font color = red>,</font><font color = green> </font>I<font color = blue> </font><font color = red>g</font><font color = green>u</font>e<font color = blue>s</font><font color = red>s</font><font color = green> </font>I<font color = blue> </font><font color = red>c</font><font color = green>a</font>n<font color = blue> </font><font color = red>i</font><font color = green>g</font>n<font color = blue>o</font><font color = red>r</font><font color = green>e</font> <font color = blue>i</font><font color = red>n</font><font color = green>d</font>i<font color = blue>v</font><font color = red>i</font><font color = green>d</font>u<font color = blue>a</font><font color = red>l</font>[color=gree n]s[/color] <font color = blue>n</font><font color = red>o</font><font color = green>w</font>,<font color = blue> </font><font color = red>s</font><font color = green>o</font> <font color = blue>m</font><font color = red>a</font><font color = green>y</font>b<font color = blue>e</font><font color = red> </font><font color = green>t</font>h<font color = blue>a</font><font color = red>t</font><font color = green> </font>w<font color = blue>o</font><font color = red>n</font><font color = green>'</font>t<font color = blue> </font><font color = red>b</font><font color = green>e</font> <font color = blue>a</font><font color = red> </font><font color = green>p</font>r<font color = blue>o</font><font color = red>b</font><font color = green>l</font>e<font color = blue>m</font><font color = red>.</font><font color = green> </font> <font color = blue>H</font><font color = red>o</font><font color = green>w</font> <font color = blue>t</font><font color = red>o</font><font color = green> </font>I<font color = blue> </font><font color = red>i</font><font color = green>g</font>n<font color = blue>o</font><font color = red>r</font><font color = green>e</font> <font color = blue>m</font><font color = red>y</font><font color = green>s</font>e<font color = blue>l</font><font color = red>f</font><font color = green>?</font> <font color = blue>:</font><font color = red>)</font>

misc
Jun 3, 2001, 08:12 PM

Uhh.. these colors are giving me a headache already..

Ah well...

"And after we are through, ten years in making it to be the most of glorious debuts."

parallax
Admin Emeritus
Jun 3, 2001, 08:58 PM

Attempt(ing)/(ed) to fix the case of the Mysterious MacNN Prompt.

It appears to be updated on a few pages.

Arlo
Jun 3, 2001, 09:06 PM

I don't like the member rating feature. Not one bit. It makes no sense. Who would go out of their way to rate a member? What do star ratings mean, aside from some sort of l33t status? At least the old member status is based on the concrete # of postings. This thing just confuses me. Perhaps if there was filtering I could understand it but...?

I predict:
- There will be massive abuse as lamers create multiple accts to give themselves stars.
- Forums and posts will revolve around who has more stars than the others
- Clans of star-deficient users will raly against the star-holders, creating a schism of fear, paranoia and homocidal dimentia (ok this last bit is a bit of an exaggeration

Arlo

Norm1985
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2001, 09:12 PM

<font color = blue>I WANT MORE INDIGO BLUE! :-D</font>

[email protected]
AIM: Norm1985

gorgonzola  (op)
Admin Emeritus
Jun 3, 2001, 09:34 PM

Arlo, if we catch wind of any of that we'll shut it off. This is just a test drive for a few weeks to see how it goes. We've got all these features, might as well try them out for a while.
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

parallax
Admin Emeritus
Jun 3, 2001, 09:41 PM

All right. I changed the "Graemlins" to "Smilies."

There's probably that word somewhere in the static HTML's, so notify me if you find it.

Arlo
Jun 3, 2001, 10:01 PM

Originally posted by gorgonzola:
<STRONG>Arlo, if we catch wind of any of that we'll shut it off. This is just a test drive for a few weeks to see how it goes. We've got all these features, might as well try them out for a while.</STRONG>
Heh ok fair enough. I guess if I bought a Mercedes I'd be playing with the GPS, heated seats, CD-changer and flux-capacitor as well.

gorgonzola  (op)
Admin Emeritus
Jun 3, 2001, 10:17 PM

Heat the seats 'till you burn your ass, right?

Hopefully it won't go that far ... hopefully. Yes, thanx <font color = green>parallax</font> for your hax ( ), smilies looks much better than graemlins. He also removed the &gt; from the top of the page in case you didn't notice. All newer threads will have that. We'll update threads later to set it across all threads.

I also updated the admin icons at the bottom. <font color = red>reader50</font> was nice enough to make new admin icons and new next/previous icons to be more logical (up and down instead of left and right) so that should help. Thank him if you see him.
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

wr11
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 3, 2001, 11:41 PM

Originally posted by suprz:
<STRONG>

consider yourself rated...... now how about some reciprocation?</STRONG>

Done, Thanks again

Cipher13
Jun 4, 2001, 02:11 AM

Originally posted by AlbertWu:
<STRONG>

What makes you think I use them?</STRONG>
You use one of them quite regularly. I know because I see posts made by it

[ 06-04-2001: Message edited by: Cipher13 ]

Cipher13
Jun 4, 2001, 02:17 AM

Originally posted by poocat:
<STRONG>oh yeah, how come we can't rate cipher? i mean, that's sort of silly.
</STRONG>
I'm opposed to the feature. And if I don't like something, I get rid of it...

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Jun 4, 2001, 03:57 AM

I don't like the new layout - is there a better way to distinguish the message text from the header and footer information ? I liked the old MacNN style shaded boxes. Please try to implement something like that, before I go blind...

tie
Professional Poster
Jun 4, 2001, 04:11 AM

Gee, the signature now adds a line of -------- for you so you can take it out of your .sig.

I would like as much as possible to be moved to the left. I've noticed that my large member number means that my posts are somewhat indented to the right. This is odd; get rid of the member number.

krove
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2001, 04:57 AM

Tie, I don't like that sig either. Hope the <font color = red>colors</font> don't get out of hand. The rating system will seem redundant once the post # status stars are back where they belong. The older and newer arrows at the bottom of the pages look awkward somehow, perhaps some newly designed ones are in order?

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

ndpatel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 4, 2001, 05:02 AM

Originally posted by tie:
<STRONG>I've noticed that my large member number means that my posts are somewhat indented to the right.</STRONG>
you know...
i've noticed that my large member means that my leg is indented somewhat to the right, as well.

[disclaimer] this is only funny because i've been studying for my developmental bio final for 8 solid hours. [/disclaimer]

l'ignorante
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2001, 05:22 AM

A thing about the lay-out. I believe there's too much text /info in between the text from actual posts. Specially with short posts, it makes a difficult read.
Here as-it-is-now I darkened the area which is not part of posts, to make my point.
And here cleaned-out-a-bit a quick suggestion for cleaning it up.
For the rest I like the way things work, except the rating of course.

[ 06-04-2001: Message edited by: l'ignorante ]

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 4, 2001, 06:20 AM

Hmmm...why don't we just upgrade this UBB to ikonboard instead? Much nicer and mac-like

Anyways, I agree with most of what has been said here. However I much prefer the horisontal breadcrumbs to the vertical one. Also nice to jump to a list compromising of just that topic group, with the front page being littered by archives and stuff

The green stars are butt-ugly and the older / newer buttons are a horrible GUI-violation. Use the Mac OS 9 reverse listing icons instead.

The rating system is useless, sort of a half-assed Slashcode-karma thing where everyone can rate everyone. Slashcode's implementation is much nicer though. Rating based on post-count might not be that much better, but at least it can give a better impression on how much a user has been active than this moronic vote-system.

Membernumber is the silliest thing I've seen. Especially since it doesn't even reflect how long a member has been on here. A member since 01 Jan 2001-thing would be nicer.

Also a great slashdot feature (except for rating individual posts) is that you can get an overview of your latest posts in your profile. Is there hack to do this?

<font color = red>Example from MacSlash</font>
1 Re:Support and Integrate posted on Thursday May 31, @10:51 CET (Score:1)
attached to Mac OS 9.2 Nears Release
2 Re:Support and Integrate posted on Thursday May 31, @10:49 CET (Score:1 Replies:2)
attached to Mac OS 9.2 Nears Release
3 Reicts? posted on Thursday May 31, @10:30 CET (Score:1)
attached to How Not To Write A Rumour

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [♬] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

zac4mac
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2001, 08:37 AM

Woah...

I spend all day watching DVD's and look what happens.

Gzl... comments:

Colors look good
New layout is confusing, but looks more functional/adaptable.
I like the new reply box, instant UBB stuff looks easy.

For long threads, can you put a small review box, back to a select part of the thread, below the reply box? Easier to keep replies relevant.
I couldn't log in until I turned on Java and cookies. Usually run with them off.
Page reloaded very slowly, with a lot of activity in the "connect" window (bottom left, Netscape)

[ 06-04-2001: Message edited by: zac4mac ]

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 4, 2001, 10:51 AM

Hmmm I also liked the old, Last Post in a topic by (name of person) in the last colum of the topic page. Its nice to know who last responded so if that person usually has interesting posts you can cheack out what he said.

Any chance of getting that back too?

(Man are we a picky bunch of people eh Gorgonzola? )

parallax
Admin Emeritus
Jun 4, 2001, 11:27 AM

All that stuff'll come soon. As soon as I figure out what the necessary files to edit are...

Moonray
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2001, 12:49 PM

Ah well...

- Now it seems to be even slower than two days before (with my 56k connection it takes significantly longer than laoding an average Apple page with many pics - maybe it's the server though) it's no fun anymore to bwowse through the fora

- Pages won't load anymore here using Netscape 4.x with javascript enabled

- And so I can't test anymore whether there's still the bug that there are unwanted spaces added ubb tags inserted with the instant buttons

-

Moonray
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2001, 01:01 PM

Originally posted by Moonray:
<STRONG>- Now it seems to be even slower than two days before [...]</STRONG>
Just to give you a number... loading the first page of this thread where I was directed to after my above posting took 3 minutes, in seconds: 180. (besides that I did not want to go to the first page at all)

It's no longer usable for me at all this way.

[edited: corrected time]

-

[ 06-04-2001: Message edited by: Moonray ]

Phoenix1701
Senior User
Jun 4, 2001, 01:15 PM

Well, I agree with just about every comment made so far... I think the new design is workable, but it has a long way to go before I'll give it the blessing of calling it "Mac-like". Just to show that I'm not deeming it impossible, though, here's my contribution. Some of these are old, some of them are new; many of them I created myself. All of them are currently conspicuous by their absence from this site. Here goes:

First, the stars (bring them back, please please please!):
Yellow star, for users...
Blue star, for moderators...
Red star, for admins...
Green star, for the rating system!

They're magically delicious.
[ More next post... ]

Phoenix1701
Senior User
Jun 4, 2001, 01:21 PM

Now then, onto the stuff that used to be there but isn't now:

Document icon, for the main page; looks just like the orange one, but with less orange. I took this right from System Resources.
The old UBBFriend logo. I know you guys probably have this cached somewhere, but just in case.
Similarly, the little TCP/IP logo that used to be in the corner of every post.

Now here are the newer and older icons, implemented the way it was suggested earlier in this thread:

[ Yet more next post... ]

Phoenix1701
Senior User
Jun 4, 2001, 01:26 PM

Last, but not least, a touch of Macintosh for the icons at the top of every post:

Info
Email
Instant Message
Edit
Reply.

Now, you may think these are complete crap, and if so I'll shut up... but if people like them, perhaps our esteemed admins/mods would be nice enough to substitute them for the frighteningly ICQ-like default icon set.

I'll go back to hacking Mac OS X now.

Bodhi
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 4, 2001, 01:49 PM

I think it looks much more crisp and clean. Nice job!

Any chance of upgrading AI soon?

Looks great guys!
~Peace~

Phoenix1701
Senior User
Jun 4, 2001, 02:10 PM

Grr. Double-post. *erase erase erase*
Sorry 'bout that. *glares at his Back button*

[ 06-04-2001: Message edited by: Phoenix1701 ]

Bluebomber21XX
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 4, 2001, 02:57 PM

Hmm.

I REALLY like Phoenix's icons.

I don't like the Instant Smilies deal.
The Instant UBB Code is cool.

"Post Count" and the "From:" thing at the bottom of posts should be moved back into the left, where it was before. Having them at the bottom is rather cluttered and confusing.

The member number is bizarre. I like having the "Registered:" better.
Good work though, guys. These forums still rock.
The online resource for Rockman & Forte!
http://www.bluebomber.com/

gorgonzola  (op)
Admin Emeritus
Jun 4, 2001, 06:34 PM

Agreed. Phoenix's icons are better ... pls leave the pictures up on the server for at least a week ... I don't have the time to update the stuff right now, so I need to have them available for a little while.

We'll probably use those, I'll bounce them off Monish too

thanks

&lt;edit&gt;

Phoenix, I need a little more ... the stupid thing is that UBB 6 stores the green stars as 5 separate images (star_rating_1.gif, star_rating_2.gif, etc), so if you could post images of 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 green stars in a row (like they were for the yellows) that would be great.

thanks again

[ 06-04-2001: Message edited by: gorgonzola ]

cteselle
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 4, 2001, 07:37 PM

I was bored, so I took the liberty of creating the stars....

enjoy!

Demonhood
Administrator
Jun 4, 2001, 09:15 PM

some nice replacement graphics. perhaps we should start a new thread to replace all the ugly infopop things that we see. hmm......

Forum Links
Forum Rules