Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > limewire UI slower in x than in 9?

limewire UI slower in x than in 9?
ndpatel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 18, 2001, 03:36 AM

anyone else get this impression?

limewire starts up quicker, connects more reliably, and even downloads a bit faster, but the UI is sooooooo slooooooow.

i mean, i hit the 'monitor' tab to see who's downloading what from me, and i wait 2 seconds. (on a g4/450 with 256 and a radeon, if you were interested) i click back to 'search' and i'm waiting again. sometime the UI is so far behind me that i'll double click on a a file and it won't catch the second click! i have to hit 'download any' to start the dl.

oh, and if i want to peg the CPU monitor, (which i keep in the dock--s'cool ) all i have to do is minimize the window. the little extended mode window goes solid color--even the system activity is dwarfed out. and then i can go grab a cup of coffee while it thinks about it, and then bam! window gone. no genie effect even.

what's the deal? i thought java was an equal citizen of the OS, and that should mean aqua too, y'know? the app runs great, better then in 9, but the UI slowness makes it almost unuseable.

(kinda like os x itself in the beginning, i suppose )

Teronzhul
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 18, 2001, 10:30 AM

Yeah, Limewire 1.7 is definitely slower, but i don't seem to be having the problems you are. A click on the monitor tab from search yields almost exactly 1 second between click and usability. Same going back. Usually it can almost keep up with me. Also, minimizing is fine for me. No different from normal window behavior. It genies just fine. PB G3/400/dvd/128/Lombard

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 18, 2001, 11:56 AM

I have had no problems with LimeWire in X. Of course I don't use 9 anymore so I can't compare
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

El Mariachi
Oct 18, 2001, 12:30 PM

Ya, LimeWire and MacPhex got realy slow when I instaled OS X 10.1.

Maybe it's the Java that is slow

uochris
Forum Regular
Oct 21, 2001, 08:50 PM

I remember seeing a post about how to speed up the UI in limewire for Mac OS X but now I can't find the damn thing. It involved editing a text file to change the way screen redraws were done and according to the poster it make limewire much snappier. I've searched the macnn forums, osxhints.com, macosx.org and the limewire forums but haven't been able to find it. I'll keep looking for it and will definitely post it here if I find it.
http://www.apple.com/macosx/feedback/
Apple doesn't read these message boards. If you have a complaint or suggestion for OS X send feedback where it will do some good.

ndpatel  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 21, 2001, 09:02 PM

found the site you were talking about
here at xlr8yourmac.com.

tried 'em out and they do a little better, but not much.

the screen resize thing is cool. i'm going to see if i can do this to explorer as well. the live resizing is too slow to be functional.

thanks a lot for all your help...
nilay

uochris
Forum Regular
Oct 21, 2001, 09:18 PM

You beat me to it! I applied the hack and the only thing that is faster is using the menu to get to the settings or statistics. Everything else still seems slow and "laggy" much like 10.0.4 felt. Hopefully this is something that can be addressed in a future release.
http://www.apple.com/macosx/feedback/
Apple doesn't read these message boards. If you have a complaint or suggestion for OS X send feedback where it will do some good.

Forum Links
Forum Rules