Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > sawtooth 450 keeps freezing

sawtooth 450 keeps freezing
horrorbiz
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 3, 2003, 02:12 AM

I have a a g4 sawtooth 450 agp (running jaguar) that keeps locking up completely. The mouse locks and I cannot even force quit. When I have music playing and the system locks up it skips repetively until i hit restart. Any ideas of what could be wrong or how to fix it would be greatly appreciated.

OreoCookie
Apr 3, 2003, 07:32 AM

Check the memory, could very likely be the memory.

If you have more than one module, put all except one out, run some memory intensive apps (video editing, etc.) and all other apps that are known to crash.

Repeat with every module. Then combine modules.

If you have just one module, borrow another one from a friend of yours and test your mac.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Apr 3, 2003, 06:51 PM

Also check if you already have the latest firmware (4.2.8f IIRC) and zap the PRAM. How long has that locking up been going on, did you try to reinstall OS X?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

horrorbiz  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 3, 2003, 07:49 PM

Originally posted by D'Espice:
Also check if you already have the latest firmware (4.2.8f IIRC) and zap the PRAM. How long has that locking up been going on, did you try to reinstall OS X?
Where can I get the latest firmware? I have zapped the PRAM a few times. The computer was purchased by my girlfriend refurbished, a couple weeks ago. It came with 9 and I installed jaguar. It has been pretty much locking up since she got it, once we started running photoshop, as well as other programs.

horrorbiz  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 3, 2003, 08:33 PM

another thought.. When she first got the computer it had ethernet problems. She took it to the Apple store to test the hardware and the hardware test showed video card errors. They said that the cards software sometimes created false error readings. SO we let it go. But now that i think about it, is it possible for the videocard to freeze the screen. I checked in the logs and it only lists one crash a few weeks back. I am very confused. But if that is the case how do I explain the skipping audio during the freeze. aghhh...

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Apr 4, 2003, 11:51 AM

If the computer locks up, everything locks up even the sound. You can get the latest firmware for your Mac here:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.h...us%7C167884918

Instructions on how to update your firmware can also be found on that website.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

horrorbiz  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 8, 2003, 06:09 PM

Thanks! I updated the firmware, and it has been going good since.

Forum Links
Forum Rules