Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Flashing Video Cards

Flashing Video Cards
horrorbiz
Dedicated MacNNer
May 12, 2003, 08:21 PM

What is "flashing" a video card? I know it allows PC video cards to be used in macs.. I am just confused on how it works and how it is done. Do flashed cards work as well as the actual mac version?

I have a G3 and I want to upgrade my stock radeon card to the 7000.. can I flash the PC version of this?

Since PC cards can be flashed does that mean there is more options for mac users without AGP? Or are we still limited to the Radeon 7000 32mb PCI?

LegendaryPinkOx
Senior User
May 12, 2003, 09:09 PM

yes it does mean there are more options, however many cards can't be flashed, and those that can, can never be guaranteed to work.

I have both a 32mb original Radeon Mac Edition, and a flashed 64mb Geforce 2MX in my PCI "Yikes!" G4.

Despite the Geforce's extra ram, theres almost no noticable difference between the two cards, except that the Geforce 2 crashes when trying to run UT2K3 (not that it runs well on my comp anyway )

My advice is to find an original Radeon Mac Edition; they're slightly faster than the 7000, and not worry about having a... less than stable graphics card.

horrorbiz  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 12, 2003, 10:30 PM

AHH i see..
Thank you.
Any idea on where I could find one of those?

LegendaryPinkOx
Senior User
May 13, 2003, 08:04 AM

ebay is where I got mine. Mac graphics cards are always more expensive though, I'd see why you'd wan't to flash a cheaper PC card. Tis the price you pay for quality though I luv my "Yikes!"

MrNo
Dedicated MacNNer
May 13, 2003, 12:19 PM

How do you flash GeForce 2MX card. I'd like to get but I am not sure about the whole process.

Originally posted by LegendaryPinkOx:
yes it does mean there are more options, however many cards can't be flashed, and those that can, can never be guaranteed to work.

I have both a 32mb original Radeon Mac Edition, and a flashed 64mb Geforce 2MX in my PCI "Yikes!" G4.

Despite the Geforce's extra ram, theres almost no noticable difference between the two cards, except that the Geforce 2 crashes when trying to run UT2K3 (not that it runs well on my comp anyway )

My advice is to find an original Radeon Mac Edition; they're slightly faster than the 7000, and not worry about having a... less than stable graphics card.

LegendaryPinkOx
Senior User
May 13, 2003, 08:45 PM

It was my friend's, I don't know the first thing about flashing cards but I bought it off him because it had "64 mb of ram!"

in this thread I explained pretty much all I could about the card.

villalobos
Mac Elite
May 13, 2003, 09:03 PM

Originally posted by MrNo:
How do you flash GeForce 2MX card. I'd like to get but I am not sure about the whole process.
try there. And follow directions and links. It;s kinda old but should still work.

http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com/ubb/Forum24/HTML/000150.html

villa

Forum Links
Forum Rules